Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newcastle V Spurs 19/04/2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Are you sure about this? I think it was changed for the League Cup but still stands for the FA Cup - I could be wrong.... though I really hope I'm not.

Seems like the EL place will go to the 6th place in the league instead or runner ups from 2015/16 EL campaign, so we will have to hope liverpool and Southampton finish ahead of us, for those of us EL haters, according to Wikipedia.

The FA Cup winners qualify for the following season's UEFA Europa League (formerly named the UEFA Cup; until 1998 they entered the Cup Winners' Cup instead). This European place applies even if the team is relegated or is not in the English top flight. In the past, if the FA Cup winning team also qualified for the following season's Champions League or Europa League through their league position, then the losing FA Cup finalist was given the Europa League place instead. FA Cup winners enter the Europa League at the Group Stage. Losing finalists, if they entered the Europa League, began earlier, at the play-off or Q3 stage.[11] From the 2015-16 UEFA Europa League season, however, UEFA will not allow the runners-up to qualify for the Europa League through the competition.[12]

The FA Cup winners also qualify for the single-match FA Community Shield against the Premier League champions (or the league runners-up, if the FA Cup winners have done the double).

Spurs need to finish 5th in the Premier League to avoid a summer of disruption.

Spurs fans are divided about the benefits of competing in next season’s Europa League, which would be our fifth consecutive year in the tournament, but one thing we can all agree on is how Spurs can qualify for next season’s competition.

The Premier League is guaranteed three teams in the Europa League every year: the 5th placed team and the winners of the League Cup and the FA Cup.

If the team that wins the League Cup finishes in the top five, as happens in most seasons including this one, the Europa League place reverts to the 6th placed league finisher. In previous seasons, if the team that wins the FA Cup also finished in the top five, the place would go to the FA Cup runner-up (assuming they don’t finish in the top five) but this year there’s been a rule change, so if Ars*nal beat Aston Villa in May’s final, 7th in the league will also qualify for Europe.

Clear? OK good.

With Spurs currently sitting 6th and a hefty gap between 7th placed Southampton and Swansea in 8th, Tottenham are almost guaranteed to finish in the top 7 this term, so if Ars*nal prevail against Tim Sherwood’s Villa, we’ll definitely be playing in the Europa League.

If Villa win and we finish 7th, we’ll miss out, however.

It’s still advantageous for Spurs to finish as high as possible. The 5th placed team goes straight into the Europa League group stage, as will Villa if they win the cup, but the team that finishes 7th (if Ars*nal win the cup or 6th if Villa win the cup) will go into the third qualifying round. That means four extra matches before the start of the season, possibly in somewhere as far flung as Russia, and given Mauricio Pochettino’s desire to minimise travel in pre-season, we can assume this wouldn’t suit the head-coach at all. If the FA Cup’s place reverts to the league, it means 6th will have to enter at the play-off round, meaning two extra matches (as Spurs had this season).

Basically, only one team can qualify for the group stage via a league finish.

Just so we’re clear…

If Ars*nal win the cup:

5th: Europa League group stage
    6th: Europa League play-off round (one two-legged tie)
    7th: Europa League 3rd qualifying round (two two-legged ties)

If Villa win the cup:

5th: Europa League group stage
    6th: Europa League 3rd qualifying round (two two-legged ties)
    7th: Not in Europe

There is also the matter of entry to the Europa League via the Fair Play system but Spurs are languishing in mid-table of the Premier League, so there’s no chance we could sneak in the back door if Villa triumph and we finish 7th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Let's just wait for the final day :-)

mickman wrote: »
    Let's just wait for the final day :-)

Its nice to know what to shout for, me, I want 4th or 7th. We aint getting 4th.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

We're also not gonna get 4th next year, barring some serious signings. Utd will challenge after spending €100+ million this summer, and i'd assume City will bounce back. So unless Arsenal fall off, the EL will once again be our best chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Kiith wrote: »
    We're also not gonna get 4th next year, barring some serious signings. Utd will challenge after spending €100+ million this summer, and i'd assume City will bounce back. So unless Arsenal fall off, the EL will once again be our best chance.

While I completely agree money doesn't always mean success. We're a prime example of that.
    Whose to say we can't build a squad of top class players developed within our own state of the art academy.

Its been done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

irishmover wrote: »
    While I completely agree money doesn't always mean success. We're a prime example of that.
    Whose to say we can't build a squad of top class players developed within our own state of the art academy.

Its been done before.

That's the only way it can be done and within our constraints. Southampton really only spring to mind who produce & promote from there academy.

We have the ideal manager to generate a successful side given time.

Oh i hope it can, i just don't see it happening with the current squad of players. We need to ship 5 or 6 out, and get in good replacements if we want to have any hope of challenging next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    That's the only way it can be done and within our constraints. Southampton really only spring to mind who produce & promote from there academy.

We have the ideal manager to generate a successful side given time.

what exactly are these constraints ?

in your opinion do we choose to be constrained or is it forced upon us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

In our first team squad from our youth team, we have Rose, Mason, Bentaleb, Townsend and Kane.

Not many clubs can match that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Next year I'd be presuming Pritchard and Carroll will be promoted to 1st team duties. Delle alli also I'm guessing

If, and it's a big if, we can ship out pretty much all the non workers I'd be happy enough with developing these lads who seem up for the challenge of playing for spurs.

Finding buyers is the problem and signing a couple of guys who hit the ground running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Ormus wrote: »
    In our first team squad from our youth team, we have Rose, Mason, Bentaleb, Townsend and Kane.

Not many clubs can match that.

Is rose not a Leeds boy ?

I'm all for bringing in some youth players, but we definitely shouldn't be relying on them. Bentaleb has fallen off massively in the last few months, and i don't feel confident seeing him on the field. Rose and Townsend, not much else needs to be said about them. Kane and Mason (to a lesser extent) do look good though. I don't know enough about the youth squad to be fair though.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Is rose not a Leeds boy ?

Yep, and Bentaleb is from France

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm all for bringing in some youth players, but we definitely shouldn't be relying on them. Bentaleb has fallen off massively in the last few months, and i don't feel confident seeing him on the field. Rose and Townsend, not much else needs to be said about them. Kane and Mason (to a lesser extent) do look good though. I don't know enough about the youth squad to be fair though.

I agree, it should be a mix.

Ideally Bentaleb would be learning from a world class midfielder right now, but the game time he's had is also very valuable. Bear in mind he won't be 21 until November.

Rose drives me mad at times, but sometimes I think he might be close to figuring out the defensive side of things. If only.

Next year I'd be presuming Pritchard and Carroll will be promoted to 1st team duties. Delle alli also I'm guessing

If, and it's a big if, we can ship out pretty much all the non workers I'd be happy enough with developing these lads who seem up for the challenge of playing for spurs.

Finding buyers is the problem and signing a couple of guys who hit the ground running.

Maybe, maybe not. Not sure if a season spent mainly warming the bench would do any of them much good. They might get some game time in the Europa, but is that enough?

Pritchard could maybe do with a season on loan at a lower Premiership club.

Dele Alli could maybe do with a season on loan at a Championship club.

Dunno what the future holds for Carroll, he hasn't disgraced himself at Swansea, but hasn't established himself either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Ideally Bentaleb would be learning from a world class midfielder right now, but the game time he's had is also very valuable. Bear in mind he won't be 21 until November.

I completely agree with this.

I feel Bentaleb is the better of the Mason/Bentaleb partnership and shows the most potential. We need to bring in a quality experienced midfielder to play alongside Bentaleb, with Mason playing a rotational role.

I know it's easier said than done suggesting we "bring in" an experienced midfielder, but there must be someone worthwhile out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

Schneiderlein alongside Bentaleb would be my ideal choice.

Maybe that is just pie in the sky though ...

Pritchard could maybe do with a season on loan at a lower Premiership club.

I have my reservations over Pritchard. Admittedly I haven't seen enough of him to develop a full opinion but from the small bit I have seen, he comes across a little to light weight for the Premier League - even at 21.

In comparison, Dele Alli is 19 and looks like he was made for the PL.

Has anyone seen much of Prtichard at Brentford this season?

awkwardboy wrote: »
    Schneiderlein alongside Bentaleb would be my ideal choice.

Maybe that is just pie in the sky though ...

Yeah I think that's a great choice.

If Schneiderlin wants CL football next season then we have no hope. But if Poch can sell him the vision - using Bentaleb, Kane, Alli, Eriksen and Lloris as the core to a bright future, Schneiderlin might be convinced to join.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

I totally agree. Sadly though I think he will be at Arsenal next season. It is a real pity we didn't get him last summer. If we had I think we would have made a far better effort of getting a CL spot.

awkwardboy wrote: »
    I totally agree. Sadly though I think he will be at Arsenal next season. It is a real pity we didn't get him last summer. If we had I think we would have made a far better effort of getting a CL spot.

I hope you're wrong but I think you're right, he seems perfect for Arsenal.

Would we take Alex Song? His season has tailed off a bit, but he was excellent for the first 5 months or so.

Ex Gooner obviously.

I hope you're wrong but I think you're right, he seems perfect for Arsenal.

Would we take Alex Song? His season has tailed off a bit, but he was excellent for the first 5 months or so.

Ex Gooner obviously.

De Jong on a free too.

De Jong on a free too.

Might be worth a punt, although there's probably be a few Champions League clubs after him.

Milner could be worth a go as well, although we probably wouldn't get him.

Might be worth a punt, although there's probably be a few Champions League clubs after him.

Milner could be worth a go as well, although we probably wouldn't get him.

If you're not in, you can't win. Need to shift the mercenaries 1st

If you're not in, you can't win. Need to shift the mercenaries 1st

True. Need to get rid of at least 2 of Capoue, Paulinho and Dembele before we make a signing.

True. Need to get rid of at least 2 of Capoue, Paulinho and Dembele before we make a signing.

Jesus, I almost forgot Capoue existed - what about Stambouli too?! :eek:

Stambouli looked decent, then he's out the team. Capoue, don't think he's even made the bench in a long time.

It would be nice to know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Stambouli looked decent, then he's out the team. Capoue, don't think he's even made the bench in a long time.

It would be nice to know why?

I hear there is a bit of a schism happening with some of the French speaking players. They are causing dressing room issues so are not getting in squads.

• Advertisement

gar wrote: »
    I hear there is a bit of a schism happening with some of the French speaking players. They are causing dressing room issues so are not getting in squads.

I've heard similar rumors, who knows for sure. The squad could/should of been used better throughout the season.

The training methods are perhaps, not to everyone's taste? Seems strange to have a player in one week, only to disappear for months on end.

A mass exodus awaits, otherwise those players would be getting some form of game time.

Advertisement