Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa v Liverpool FA Cup Semi Final 3 PM on BT Sport

• 17-04-2015 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

elib_5463042.jpg

Two sides with contrasting recent playing form meet in the second of the FA Cup semi finals (no replays remember so extra time a penos if needed)

Villa have found some new energy and aggression under Tim Sherwood winning 4 and drawing one of their last 8 games in all comp. Liverpool having 'kept her lit' since Christmas hit the rocks at just the wrong moment as scrappy wins became losses before righting the ship to a degree with the last two games.

Villa have a list of injury concerns - Gabby Agbonlahor looks likely to be out. Others with a question mark include Carlos Sanchez, Ashley Westwood, Carles Gil, Alan Hutton, Philippe Senderos, Cieran Clark and Aly Cissoko

Liverpool meanwhile will almost certainly be without Daniel Sturridge while Martin Skrtel and Gerrard will be back after their red card bans. Mo Sakho is deffo out for several weeks. Jordon Ibe is cup tied.

Clearly its not in Sherwoods nature to be circumspect (bearing in mind Villa are not yet fully clear of danger) and he'll deffo want a Wembley final, while Rodgers will know this is his best chance of rescuing a stuttering season so I expect the best teams possible and plenty of attacking football as neither side will want it to end in a shoot out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think Villa have a decent chance here, I've seen them priced at 5/1 but I think it'll be much closer than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Have absolutely no confidence Rodgers can get through this.
    I'm a big fan of his but his Liverpool team in cup competitions have been no great shakes in the last few years.
    Hopefully we can win and go on to win the final also, would be nice like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

2-1 villa. Cissokho and Messi with the goals.

First visit to Wembley. Hopefully not the last this season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Indeed. It's odd to put the channel the game is on, and the time its on.....without putting the day its on in the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

CSF wrote: »
    I think Villa have a decent chance here, I've seen them priced at 5/1 but I think it'll be much closer than that.

Yeah I'm a bit weary of this one. Liverpool should win, I think. But Villa are in with a very decent shout as well. Much more than a few weeks back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its a poor show if the fans of both clubs don't know what day the game is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Villa a few weeks ago-no chance. Villa now-they have the measure of Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Definetly think Bentekkers will score

11/4
    Easy money

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Guaranteed

rarnes1 wrote: »
    11/4
    Easy money

Hopefully. Will probably wait until tomorrow and see how much Liverpool get backed in. Might get better odds then.

Think it'll be a tight game. Wouldn't't rule Villa out. Run of form has been fairly decent

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Final aside, I find it impossible to get excited about about FA Cup games. I doubt I'll even watch if it's another fine day out tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Benteke to run riot over the Liverpool defence, Gerrard to score a pen in the 93rd minute for Liverpool bring it to extra time.

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    Final aside, I find it impossible to get excited about about FA Cup games. I doubt I'll even watch if it's another fine day out tomorrow.

Yet you'd probably celebrate like mad if you's won it? Some fan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

DaveSuarez wrote: »

Each to his own man but struggle to understand that myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yet you'd probably celebrate like mad if you's won it? Some fan...

It's not like it's an important trophy like the Intercontinental Champions Cup or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

The fa cup final is one of the greatest occasions in the football world, if liverpool get to the final i will enjoy every minte of the day and if we win i will be delighted for months the force is still strong with the fa cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Think it will be a good, open game, 2 - 2 after 90 then who knows. And I love the FA cup, great traditional competition, don't love the semis being played at Wembley though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Each to his own man but struggle to understand that myself

I've been an Arsenal fan and supporter for many many years and I have little interest in the F.A. Cup for the last number of years. It was made less interesting for me after Man Utd were allowed to opt out of it and go away to play a team of postmen from Melbourne some years ago.

The 38 EPL games are the bread and butter games for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

pool to win via a benteke o.g

I've been an Arsenal fan and supporter for many many years and I have little interest in the F.A. Cup for the last number of years. It was made less interesting for me after Man Utd were allowed to opt out of it and go away to play a team of postmen from Melbourne some years ago.

So you didn't celebrate winning it last season? Colour me sceptical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Not remotely arsed about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Kind of shocked at how people are dismissive of the fa cup. I'd probably feel that way about a carling cup semi, but the fa cup is still a prestigious trophy. It ranks behind the league and the champions league but at this point where there are 4 or 5 competitive teams domestically that are and strong it's a tournament that should be targeted.

I'd probably feel the same about a third or fourth round tie but not when your two games from a trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

EPL, bread and butter, Fa Cup final, jam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Is the match only on BT Sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Think our win over Spurs last week means we can enjoy the game a bit more quite surprised we're actually here after all the goings on but we did get the luck of the draw all home games iirc.

I think we're in with a good shout but that's down to Tim Sherwood I could only see a loss if Paul Lambert was in charge.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

2-1 to Villa. Benteke has been imperious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Just realised the FA Cup semi-final is only on Bt Sport today. I have two questions.

1/ If I sign up online now will I have the channel in time for the game?

2/ Can I sign up today (for €9.99) and cancel this evening, or do I have to pay for a second month? I think I remember reading that you have to give 30 days notice or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

This is also on German eurosport fta for anyone with the ability to pick up 19e satellites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Tusky wrote: »
    Just realised the FA Cup semi-final is only on Bt Sport today. I have two questions.

1/ If I sign up online now will I have the channel in time for the game?

2/ Can I sign up today (for €9.99) and cancel this evening, or do I have to pay for a second month? I think I remember reading that you have to give 30 days notice or something.

If you ring them you should have he channel in time. It should be fairly instantaneous. Or at least within a few minutes. Online can be hit and miss. Could be a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If you ring them you should have he channel in time. It should be fairly instantaneous. Or at least within a few minutes. Online can be hit and miss. Could be a few hours.

Their phones are Monday-Saturday. Such a terrible company.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Lucas out with a thigh injury :(

Looks like Gerrard will probably start then I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Gerrard starts you say?

2-0 Villa. Benteke brace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Looking forward to the game. Abroad at the moment but will get to watch it. A day out at Wembley is always special.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Play Allen and Hendo as the deeper pair with Coutinho ahead and Sterling, Lallana, Markovic (if Sturridge isnt ready) as a floating front three.

Play Allen and Hendo as the deeper pair with Coutinho ahead and Sterling, Lallana, Markovic (if Sturridge isnt ready) as a floating front three.

Anything has to be better than Gerrard starting. Markovic, with his pace, could cause problems on a pitch like Wembley.

Bentekkers AT
    Villa Win
    Villa DC
    Villa to Qualify

For me today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Hope Gerrard has a stormer and sickens so many people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Hope Gerrard has a stormer and sickens so many people.

Well unless theres a time machine prepare to be mocked later. This post will haunt you.

• Advertisement

Anything has to be better than Gerrard starting. Markovic, with his pace, could cause problems on a pitch like Wembley.

"Anything is better then gerrard" cop the fcuk on buddy and have a bit of respect, your not even a football fan are ya

shamrock55 wrote: »
    "Anything is better then gerrard" cop the fcuk on buddy and have a bit of respect, your not even a football fan are ya

Respect? Hahahaha. What exactly should people be respecting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Gerrard mightnt be what he once was but you would swear Liverpool had Matic and Fabregas in the middle to keep him out. Think Id have him over Joe Allen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Respect? Hahahaha. What exactly should people be respecting?

Tbf he had a big impact against Chelsea last year and United this year. He does affect games.

Tbf he had a big impact against Chelsea last year and United this year. He does affect games.

That's not what I asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Back to 3 at the back for Liverpool

I've respect for Gerrards career coming out my ears, that doesn't mean he should be starting games like this. Gerrard starting with 3 at the back? This will be fun.

sugarman wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac:

"fan" ...youre not even from liverpool, so why do you care?
    What has that to do with anything, and what are you even doing on a football thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,950 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Side note..
    Kirby wrote: »
    Indeed. It's odd to put the channel the game is on, and the time its on.....without putting the day its on in the title.

How about a standard format for these things.. they work pretty well on erm.. "other sites" I use :)

[<Competition> <Time> <Date> Channel>] <Team A vs Team B>

[FA CUP Semi-Final 15:00 19/04/15 BT Sport 1] Aston Villa v Liverpool

Yes I have too much time on my hands today .. I'm even watching snooker while I wait for this :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

What has that to do with anything, and what are you even doing on a football thread

Gerrard has been a constant in Liverpool's poor performances this season. He's nothing like the player he was, why are you so outraged that people don't want him in the team?

• Advertisement
Advertisement