Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Do you use Passbook?

• 18-04-2015 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

The title says it all.

For instance, I use it at Starbucks and that’s all. As for me, it’s weird that businesses don’t support this technology.

It’s convenient from consumers point of view or it isn’t?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I use it for Starbucks, Tesco, Subway and Easyjet. I just wish more businesses used it because it really is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I use it for whatever I can- usually subway and Cineworld. The Cineworld online tickets are great on this. A great system. I wish more companies had compatibility with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Zcott wrote: »
    I use it for Starbucks, Tesco, Subway and Easyjet. I just wish more businesses used it because it really is fantastic.

Did you download the Starbucks app to get it in passbook? The app isn't on the Irish store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Use it for cineworld, flights and apple pay.

It's great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Tesco? Tell me more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I use it for Subway, and I also used it for Ryanair when I went to the UK last week.

Tesco? Tell me more

The Clubcard is just a standard barcode. I used a website called Make Me A Pass which is now an app, and you scan in your Clubcard and it makes the pass for you.

In the last six months or so they've updated their scanners to accept barcodes on a screen but there's still the odd one that doesn't work, so give it a go and see.

Anything with a barcode for scanning should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 andriidemko

But so few companies support it... so weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

I'm so embarassed, my 9yr old just explained passbook to me! She says she plans on making full use of it when she's travelling, which she will be doing a lot (I was told!).
    Am I correct in thinking it would eliminate that minor little problem of having loyalty cards cluttering up my purse/bag/keys etc and any other storage/easy to carry function I've tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭kaerobe

I use
    Subway
    Starbucks
    KLM (and other flights - do Ryanair and AL use it?)
    Eventbrite (used it at BrewFest in Cork recently)
    My US iTunes Account

Hoping more get on board like
    Boots
    Costa
    Dunnes/SV/Tesco
    Eason

• Advertisement

kaerobe wrote: »
    I use
    Subway
    Starbucks
    KLM (and other flights - do Ryanair and AL use it?)
    Eventbrite (used it at BrewFest in Cork recently)
    My US iTunes Account

Hoping more get on board like
    Boots
    Costa
    Dunnes/SV/Tesco
    Eason

I think Costa already do use it, and Ryanair use it. AL don't afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I see it in my phone but aint got a clue what it is/what you do with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Anything that involves me handing my phone over to a counter monkey is a non starter.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Anything that involves me handing my phone over to a counter monkey is a non starter.

The proper way to do it is they have a scanner and scan your phone while you hold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭kaerobe

I think Costa already do use it, and Ryanair use it. AL don't afaik.

Thanks, will download the Costa app (requires UK itunes account to download app. I dont seem to be able to log in with my Irish Costa Card).

Tried the Tesco pass as above, wouldnt scan at self checkouts in Nutgrove.

Passbook really is a bit of a flop in terms of retailer uptake. I hate carrying cards, have them all in the mobile pocket app.

Aimeee wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking it would eliminate that minor little problem of having loyalty cards cluttering up my purse/bag/keys etc and any other storage/easy to carry function I've tried?

Partly. It's not only about loyalty cards. It's also about coupons, event tickets, business cards. You will be informed about all news, offers, events in a card, without downloading any app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Sounds great. How come not more commonly used?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

I used mine with Ryanair & Hilton Hotels in the UK. Here I have used it with Subway and Living Social. Interested in using it with Tesco and Starbucks do you get them in Irish app store ?

Aimeee wrote: »
    Sounds great. How come not more commonly used?

The biggest problem and the weirdest thing is that consumers don't use that because businesses don't support that. Businesses don't support that, because consumers don't use that. The circle of mystery, which I hope will fall one day. That is a very useful technology for businesses and convenient for consumers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭BigMoose

What I dont get is why Apple haven't made it easy to scan the barcodes and generate the passbook thingy. I didn't know there was a 3rd party app to do it (at cost) but would find it very useful to scan in my Tesco card and the millions of other ones I have filling my keyring and wallet. Only time I've had it just work are for flights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Yes I use passbook for Subway, Ryanair, BA and booking.com it's a pity more company's don't support it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Counter monkey? Well good evening your Majesty........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Only used it for subway, eventbrite and in barcelona when visiting the nou camp. Pity it hasnt taken off properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Ryanair and Living Social.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I use it when I can as I find it very handy especially when flying.

I think it's a marketing thing. People don't seem to know about it.

Even the amount of people ho I see checking in Aer Lingus flights and printing boarding passes and they are amazed when I tell them they can check in with the Aer Lingus App.

Even when I use the scanners in the airport I am in a serious minority.

In fairness , you've got a problem if your battery dies and you're not going to have that with a print out.

What a shocking comment.

Snobbish and ill-informed.

You would not have to hand your phone over to anyone. Just like you don't have to hand over your debit/credit card any more to make a payment.

Eitherway, all the would be doing is scanning a code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

murpho999 wrote: »
    What a shocking comment.

Snobbish and ill-informed.

You would not have to hand your phone over to anyone. Just like you don't have to hand over your debit/credit card any more to make a payment.

Eitherway, all the would be doing is scanning a code.

I was only messing. My fault for not using :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Whats everyones opinion of using the Ryanair boarding pass in Passbook? I'm planning on using it to Gran canaria in June and I'm just wondering is there any drawbacks to it?

Zhane wrote: »
    Whats everyones opinion of using the Ryanair boarding pass in Passbook? I'm planning on using it to Gran canaria in June and I'm just wondering is there any drawbacks to it?

Works very well

No drawbacks to it. What ones could there be?
    Just make sure your battery is not too low.
    Boarding card stays as notification in lock screen so you can access it quickly.

Makes a good combination with DAA app where you can favourite flights And be notified of gate announcements etc.

So just go for it and just bring a paper boarding pass as back up if you are worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

murpho999 wrote: »
    Works very well

No drawbacks to it. What ones could there be?
    Just make sure your battery is not too low.
    Boarding card stays as notification in lock screen so you can access it quickly.

Makes a good combination with DAA app where you can favourite flights And be notified of gate announcements etc.

So just go for it and just bring a paper boarding pass as back up if you are worried.

Cool thanks murph. One more question, the flight is booked with two names. Do you know can we both have our own boarding passes on our own phones? Or is it only for single bookings?

Advertisement