Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alienware x51

Options
  • 18-04-2015 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I want to start pc gaming but am looking at the easiest options to start off as a first pc solely for gaming and college work....

looking at one of the alienware x51 for about 550 euro would it be a good start point for a pc noob? easy to sell aswell if i decide i cant hack keyboard and mouse... I also am selling a laptop an xbox one and a wii u to fund this so i need to be brave lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Pcs don't tend to have good resale value. I think I've heard parts can lose up to 50% of their resale value as soon as you take them out of the box.

The good thing is if you make the right choice you can get years of use out of your PC.

You probably don't want to hear this but the only way to go is to build your own, I'd stay well clear of off the shelf options. It's not hard to put one together. All the parts only fit into the sockets they're supposed to and making lego would be more difficult. Go over to the PC building and upgrading forum and ask the question anyway just so you have it as an option.

With a good base setup you'll get 5 to 10 years out of a PC with just 2 or 3 graphics card upgrades if you want to stay current.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

The x51 starts at 699 not 550??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Recurve360 wrote: »
    The x51 starts at 699 not 550??

Ah seen a used one on adverts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Ah seen a used one on adverts

Id go with what scumlord said above mate, I agree to a certain extent about what he said with pc parts and their value but it is possible to do like most of the guys do on here and build a rig that will play games maxed out or close to maxed out and in two years time it will still be worth close enough to what it cost you to build and you would have choice to up grade or sell for a decent price and build a new one again,
    If you don't really fancy building it yourself you can order the parts to come pre-built for an extra 30 euro I think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

jayo26 wrote: »
    If you don't really fancy building it yourself you can order the parts to come pre-built for an extra 30 euro I think it is.

Do they build the machine for you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Do they build the machine for you?

Hardwareversand.de is a German site most people use on here it has some of the cheapest parts online and the postage is a fixed price of between 10 and 15 euro for Ireland they have a build option on there when you are purchasing all your parts on there. If you go over to the pc building and upgrading thread on there you can post up details of what,you are looking for or you can read threw other peoples build ideas ect get an idea of how things work.

Advertisement