Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Fibre

Options
  • 18-04-2015 6:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

I signed up to Sky Fibre last night but am getting cold feet as to whether the broadband is better than UPC? We are heavy users and from every room in the house. I've avoided Horizon from UPC as there seem to constant complaints in the Talk To (UPC) forum and can't find anything much about it in the Sky forum.

Does anybody in the city use Sky BB and how do you find it?

ETA: How does it compare to UPC if you had UPC previously?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I signed up to Sky Fibre last night but am getting cold feet as to whether the broadband is better than UPC? We are heavy users and from every room in the house. I've avoided Horizon from UPC as there seem to constant complaints in the Talk To (UPC) forum and can't find anything much about it in the Sky forum.

Does anybody in the city use Sky BB and how do you find it?

ETA: How does it compare to UPC if you had UPC previously?

upc is the best broadband in the country by far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

I left eircom recently for sky and couldn't complain to be honest. I hoave 40/50 Mbps over wifi compared to 25 from eircom and that's with 2 xboxe's,4 laptops and 3 phones. Couldn't fault their customer services either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Comerman wrote: »
    I left eircom recently for sky and couldn't complain to be honest. I hoave 40/50 Mbps over wifi compared to 25 from eircom and that's with 2 xboxe's,4 laptops and 3 phones. Couldn't fault their customer services either.
    Eircom own most of the DSL infrastructure in Ireland and lease it out bandwidth to Sky and other providers. Sky broadband is essentially a rebadged version of Eircom broadband, there is no difference in line speeds.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The only saving with sky versus Eircom is money and usage allowances, as already pointed out its all the same lines, exchanges etc.

Luckily I'm almost living on the exchange and managing 85MB out of the 100MB package

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

None of that sounds great. I'll give it a week and see how it goes before making a final decision. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The horizon box is crap but you can always add your own access point. To be honest at speeds over 50mbit the router and the quality of the wifi and decent wifi ac etc is more important than the wan connection speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Niall558

Basically with Sky, they offer up to 100mbps Unlimited Fibre (literally no data cap unlike Vodafone who cap their "unlimited service" at 1TB) on uncongested lines. Sky Fibre costs €40 per month (for first 6 months then and added €10 for the last 6 months). This is broken down as €30 Euro line rental fee which Sky pay to Eircom, then €10 (or €20) for your internet which also includes Sky freetime. Sky Freetime is basically a land line service which is completely free to any Sky internet customers. They include free weekday calls from 7pm - 7am (Just hang up after 59 minutes and redial) as well as free weekend calls. Outside those hours, it cost 6.9c per minute, which ain't too bad.

The major difference between Sky, Eircom and UPC is simple, especially if you are a tri-play customer (TV/internet/phone). UPC tend to limit services during peak times, whereas Sky do not. The same goes for Eircom. The major major thing is though that the Horizon boxes and Eircom E-vision boxes split your internet to support their TV service. This is slows down the internet hugely and is a major part in why your connection fluctuates.

Sky decided that they had common sense and kept their TV service separate from their BB as they knew a stupid Horizon inspired router/satellite box was destined to fail. All Sky boxes are now wireless and only "feed" off your connection when it's told to. They have a brilliant award winning router released called the Sky Hub. It's basically your standard router except it's built to last and it's extremely good at doing its job. It has a range of up too 300m (most routers are 50m then things like walls, insulation and other obstacles come in to effect, which essentially slow down your speed again....) and it is designed to seek out the best pathway to your wireless devices, rather than shoot out burst of Wifi signals everywhere.

Anyways, I've been doing my research lately too and this one is a no brainer :)

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Eircom own most of the DSL infrastructure in Ireland and lease it out bandwidth to Sky and other providers. Sky broadband is essentially a rebadged version of Eircom broadband, there is no difference in line speeds.

And they don't deny it! It's how they optimise these lines, that makes them the better provider (imo)!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kkapp

sounds likes you might be employed by Sky....

kkapp wrote: »
    sounds likes you might be employed by Sky....

I wish man unless they're looking for kitchen porters :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement