Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Apple Maps and Dublin

• 18-04-2015 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know who provides the mapping data for Apple Maps in Dublin?

The town land labelling is all messed up. For instance most of Tallaght is labeled as Lucan. Kimmage, Templeogue and parts of Walkinstown are labelled as Ballyboden. Half of Dun Laoghaire town are Stillorgan etc.

A minor annoyance, yes. However, with an ever increasing amount of location services on iOS being labeled in the wrong place starts to wreck your head. It's oddly annoying to see all the photos you've taken at home being labelled as a place a 15 minute drive away.

I've tried reporting to Apple but didn't hear anything back, so I thought I try and find the source of the data.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Agreed they have many issues and are not very good at fixing them. This is why I am sticking to Google Maps although I am not vey found of Google.

It is getting better, but some very obvious mistakes I reported a few times took them years to fix. For example UCD was labelled as University of Dublin since the launch of Maps and until recently. Very confusing as University of Dublin is Trinity's alternative name - i.e. a visitor searching for University of Dublin (thus Trinity) would be lead to the wrong university.

If it takes them that long to get such obvious thing right - I am not sure I would rely on it in a city I don't know at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Its a joke. Google maps light years ahead of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

vicwatson wrote: »
    Its a joke. Google maps light years ahead of them

It's a mix of their own and Tom Tom.

There's a report mistake button, use it! I have and they've always gotten back within 5 business days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I have and they've always gotten back within 5 business days.

What kind of feedback did you receive from Apple after reporting mistakes?

Not sure how they are processing the reports, but as the OP I have reported a number of issues (including very obvious one) and never heard back from them.

Bob24 wrote: »
    What kind of feedback did you receive from Apple after reporting mistakes?

Not sure how they are processing the reports, but as the OP I have reported a number of issues (including very obvious one) and never heard back from them.

I get a thank you for submitting, then a push notification from the maps app to say it is successfully changed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

I'd rather not have to use a 'mistake' button and just use an app that works.

How is it going to get better then. You think apple have employees in every square mile on the earth? Mapping is hard. Google had a ~10 year head start, and was pretty woeful at the start outside of the Bay Area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

I don't care if it gets better or not. There's an app available to everyone that's far superior. I'll just use that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Google Maps will always have the edge, for at least the foreseeable future. To be fair to Apple at least, accurate mapping of the _world_ is all about user data and feedback and Google had nearly a decade's head start.

Apple are pouring investment into it though, particularly on a micro level. And when they first launched it their apps were vectors, not bitmaps, and forced Google to make a similar improvement to their own maps. So competition is good.

Also – and this always annoyed me – when Maps launched everyone joke because it misplaced an airport. Google, with it's massive handicap, still has an airport about 50 miles off in Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

I think I've reported it 3 or 4 times (specifically my house / town) and never heard back and got no feedback. I even tried emailing much higher up and got no response (not that I expected any).

Of course for mapping apps I can use Google. But that doesn't solve the incorrect tagging on iOS Photos, and any other location apps.

I'll try TomTom and see if I get anywhere. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Everyone is free to use whatever app they want but the annoying thing I find is I can't change the default maps app like I can on my android tablet. Jailbreak excluded which isn't ideal for some.

Advertisement