Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a wasp nest

• 18-04-2015 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just got up into attic to put away a few bits and noticed the attached up in one of the eves. Is this a wasp nest do you reckon?
    Doesn't seem to be anything flying in or out but want to get rid of it anyway.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Yes, but tricky to see.

Any sign of wasp activity, might be an old nest?

100% wasp nest
    I usually find a good few inactive ones, then see the remains of dead queen in a nearby spider's web

If it's small stick a Hoover to it (if you're sure it's inactive) or, take it down and marvel at the wonder's of nature

100% wasp nest
    I usually find a good few inactive ones, then see the remains of dead queen in a nearby spider's web

If it's small stick a Hoover to it (if you're sure it's inactive) or, take it down and marvel at the wonder's of nature

A really close look reveals a good few cobwebs around it so I'd guess it was inactive. Just leave it alone for a month and see if it gets any bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

my3cents wrote: »
    Yes, but tricky to see.

Any sign of wasp activity, might be an old nest?

No sign of any wasps. There was actually a small bird flying around when I went up first would you believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

my3cents wrote: »
    A really close look reveals a good few cobwebs around it so I'd guess it was inactive. Just leave it alone for a month and see if it gets any bigger.

Yeh there is a load of cobwebs around it alright.

Should I not take it down??

• Advertisement

zefer wrote: »
    No sign of any wasps. There was actually a small bird flying around when I went up first would you believe!

Would well believe it we have an old static caravan with vents that you can just get a pencil through and we regularly have to let wrens out that get stuck in it.

zefer wrote: »
    Yeh there is a load of cobwebs around it alright.

Should I not take it down??

Its not harming anything so you can leave it. I'd probably take it down and give it to some kid for the schools nature table (if they still do that sort of thing). We displayed a wasps nest about a foot across in a window for a few years until one of our cats sat on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

And don't read The Shining by Stephen King.

Advertisement