Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which business subject for LC?

• 18-04-2015 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Well,
    Basically I'm in ty and I had to pick my subjects a few weeks ago, I picked French chemistry biology and history but I've been informed that I didn't get history. I'm probably going to do a science course in college but would like to keep my options open. Really I have a choice between any of the three business subjects. I got an A in JC business but what I really care about is which subject is most interesting and easiest to do well in (not that any of them are easy). I think id quite like economics and I did all the accounting questions in the business junior cert exam. I've kind of ruled myself out of doing business because I think the theory of business can be extremely boring at times. If anyone who is doing/has done business/economics/accounting or all three could please offer me some guidance on these subjects (especially economics and accounting) it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Economics is the least popular business subject (about 4000 people doing it every year)
    Accounting is slightly more popular and business is by far the most popular with 12000 people doing it.

Business is hard. There's extreme time pressure on the exam and its difficult to get an A in. Economics is more predictable, usually there's a long question on a factor of production, demand or supply, a market structure and national income is also common.. (you only need to do 4 questions in the exam).. because a lot of people will do the same questions they are marked quite hard and you really need to get everything spot on to get an A...
    Accounting has the highest A rate of any business subject, I don't personally do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

I do accounting. I find it a nice subject. You obviously find it okay if you did all the accounting questions in the JC. It's not an easy subject despite its high A rate. It needs a lot of practice. I don't do economics or business but from what I've read it would seem that they are more rote learning based whereas accounting is a bit more practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 westerngirl323

I study all three business subjects. Business is a lot of learning off and the marking scheme can be tough. Accounting has a high A1 and A2 rate but I find that it takes a lot of time and practise. If you enjoyed accounting for the jc then it should be okay for you but in my opinion it is not an easy A as many people may think. In my opinion economics is the most interesting out of the three business subjects yet it can be marked very hard and getting an A1 can be a challenge. To sum up I would say that all of these subjects require a good amount of time in order to secure the A grade . It depends on whether you prefer to learn stuff off by heart (economics/ business ) or work with numbers (accounting).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

If you're going for an A1 accounting is definitely your best bet. If you know what you're doing it's highly likely you'l get full marks in questions. The theory (probably amounting to about 7-10%, depending on which questions you do, usually causes people to lose a few marks but if you study the marking schemes you can avoid this.

Business and Economics have extremely low A1 rates. I did business and got an A2 and having reviewed my paper I realised just how exact you have to be. I personally think the course could be improved hugely, it's a poor enough subject in many ways. I didn't do economics for LC but I do it in college and it seems to be marked just as hard as business but more interesting and a shorter course. So business and economics are good subjects for B3-B1 I think but extremely tough A1s.

If I were to do it over I'd pick in this order
    1st. Accounting - Easy if you just practice exam questions constantly
    2nd Economics - Small enough course and interesting, really harsh marking scheme would deter me slightly though
    3rd Business - Lots of boring content, and a rushed exam. Good for a solid 80 or so points if you're a decent student and willing to memorise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 B787RW

I do economics and accounting.

I prefer economics, I find it more interesting than accounting and personally for me I think it is easier than accounting.

If you liked accounting in the JC, you should like and be good at LC accounting, the only thing I will say is it takes a lot of practice and doing exam paper after exam paper. It is very exact, you know if you're right or wrong and if you practice enough you will be able to do questions following a routine. It is very possible to get an A1/A2 in accounting but you would need keep re-doing questions as revision.

If you do economics and want to do well you need to have a genuine interest in economics, the Irish economy and how it works. To score very high marks you sometimes you need to relate answers to current economic affairs, government economic aims, and current economic statistics from the CSO. In economics you do have to learn off definitions and some answers but sometimes questions come up where you have to apply your own knowledge or base your answer on current affairs. To be honest, very little economics appears on the Junior Cert Business Studies exam.

I would recommend economics first, then accounting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

I study economics. If your good at learning off things id defanitley recommend it and also its an easily predictable paper with 4 kind of defanites every year. Im awful at maths and I love economics.

Advertisement