Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade Ice Cream

Options
  • 18-04-2015 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭

I seen a recipe on one pot chef for coffee ice cream and decided to make it. Basically coffee, condensed milk and whipping cream. Im not a coffee drinker so I substituted that with Guinness. Worked out quite well for first attempt. Only thing is its a little crystally if you know what I mean. It could be creamier. Would this be because of the gas in the Guinness? If so I was thinking of other alcoholic flavours and was thinking zubrowka vodka as it has no gas, but would that work as vodka doesn't freeze?
    As I said, this was my first attempt so looking for advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

The crystals could be how it was frozen either. I'm not expert on ice cream though. Did you use an ice cream machine or how did you freeze it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Basically just threw it into an old ice cream tub, gave it a few settling taps on the counter and into the freezer. I just seen the video on Facebook and decided to give it a go as it seems very easy, which suited me :p . As I say I'm happy with the way it turned out for such little effort, just that it was slightly crystally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Slunk wrote: »
    Basically just threw it into an old ice cream tub, gave it a few settling taps on the counter and into the freezer. I just seen the video on Facebook and decided to give it a go as it seems very easy, which suited me :p . As I say I'm happy with the way it turned out for such little effort, just that it was slightly crystally.

Its worth taking it out a few times from the freezer (before it freezes) and kind of stir it with a fork. That should help break up the ice crystals before they form.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The crystally texture is nothing to do with the guinness, it comes from the liquid changing state very slowly from a liquid to a solid very slowly because youre using a domestic freezer. As the previous poster stated a fork will help, a ice cream maker churns it as it chills it thus breaking down the ice crystals. If you really want to go hardcore (and doing it at a dinner party as it looks really cool), get some food grade dry ice grains and you'll have it done in seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I only tried making ice-cream once and never again because it became all crystally. Tons of cream and sugar and it had the taste and consistency of that yucky weightwatchers stuff.

Mine was normal chocolate, so it probably has nothing to do with the Guinness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

If you want a good simple recipe for ice cream that doesn't crystallise, try nigellas margarita ice cream.. So amazing! I think it's the tequila that stops the ice crystals forming.

125 ml lime juice
    2 tablespoons tequila
    3 tablespoons cointreau (or triple sec)
    150 grams icing sugar (or powdered sugar)
    500 ml double cream

Pour the lime juice, tequila and cointreau (or triple sec) into a bowl and stir in the sugar to dissolve.
    Add the cream and then softly whip until thick and smooth but not stiff.
    Spoon this into an airtight container to freeze overnight. This ice cream does not need ripening (softening before serving), as it will not freeze too hard and melts speedily and voluptuously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Just reread the last sentence and would like to point out- nigellas words not mine! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I think sometimes it depends on the recipe and how it was designed (ice-cream maker/forking/popping it in the freezer and leaving it).

I still don't have an ice cream maker so I rely solely on a Darina Allen recipe from an old recipe book at home.

4 organic egg yolks
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or seeds from 1 vanilla pod
    5 cups softly whipped cream (measured after it is whipped, for accuracy)

Beat the egg yolks until light and fluffy.

Combine the sugar with 1 cup of water in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat when syrupy.

Pour this boiling syrup in a steady stream onto the egg yolks, beating all the time by hand. (If you are beating the mousse in an electric mixer, remove the bowl and beat the boiling syrup in by hand; otherwise it will solidify on the sides of the bowl.)

Add the vanilla extract or vanilla seeds and continue to beat the mixture until it becomes a thick, creamy white mousse.

This is the stage at which, if you're deviating from this recipe, you can add liquid flavorings such as coffee (or fruit). Fold the softly whipped cream into the mousse, pour into a bowl, cover, and freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭aidanki

how much should one pay for an ice cream maker, one of those things I have always thought about getting

something like this any good

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Andrew-James-Red-1-45-Litre-Ice-Cream-Sorbet-Frozen-Yoghurt-Maker-Machine-/390887903231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5b02bc0fff

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I have a Kenwood one similar to that one that I got for about €25 years ago. It's great. It makes gorgeous ice cream. The bowl has to be frozen first so you can't just decide to make ice cream on a whim but if you have enough room in your freezer you can just keep it in there permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

convert wrote: »
    I think sometimes it depends on the recipe and how it was designed (ice-cream maker/forking/popping it in the freezer and leaving it).

I still don't have an ice cream maker so I rely solely on a Darina Allen recipe from an old recipe book at home.

4 organic egg yolks
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or seeds from 1 vanilla pod
    5 cups softly whipped cream (measured after it is whipped, for accuracy)

Beat the egg yolks until light and fluffy.

Combine the sugar with 1 cup of water in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat when syrupy.

Pour this boiling syrup in a steady stream onto the egg yolks, beating all the time by hand. (If you are beating the mousse in an electric mixer, remove the bowl and beat the boiling syrup in by hand; otherwise it will solidify on the sides of the bowl.)

Add the vanilla extract or vanilla seeds and continue to beat the mixture until it becomes a thick, creamy white mousse.

This is the stage at which, if you're deviating from this recipe, you can add liquid flavorings such as coffee (or fruit). Fold the softly whipped cream into the mousse, pour into a bowl, cover, and freeze.

Plus 1 for this, I use it all the time and never fails to work :)

Advertisement