Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electronic drums with MIDI out

• 18-04-2015 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭

I'm not in any way an experienced drummer and I really know very little about it at all. I've messed around with kits that other people own but that's about it. Lately though, I've really wanted to take up playing drums and I'm thinking that I'll buy some as soon as college exams are over and its summer time. I live in an apartment though so getting a full kit is really out of the question and instead I've been looking at electronic ones instead. I'm kind of looking for something at a fairly entry level price, I really don't want to drop more than €500 on this.

There is a particular caveat though in that I really want a set of drums with a MIDI out port and those seem to be very hard to find on new kits. From the bit of research I've done, most new kits just have an ordinary USB out instead. The thing is that I would like to be able to use the kit to play Rock Band with my friends too and to do that, you need an adapter that only takes a MIDI in connection.

So what I'm really asking is, is there any way around this? Is MIDI out just something that's gone the way of the dodo or are there still options out there for using it? Or would it just be a lot smarter to try and find a second-hand set that might have it?

The only other thing I can think of that I would really like is a bass drum pedal that has an actual pad (like this) rather than just being a pedal that you push down on (like this). I really do find that there is a massive difference between these two and having the feedback of the pad is just much more enjoyable than stomping the ground. Is that something you can usually just add on after the fact or are things like that usually propriety and only made for the specific kit?

Also, one final thing, I'm seeing a lot of brands looking this stuff up. Yamaha, Roland, Millenium, Alesis etc. Are there particular brands or kits that I should look for or stuff I should know about?

Comments

Advertisement