Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management company problems

Options
  • 18-04-2015 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

The management company on our estate has been reducing the number of bins over the last year.

We had 4 large dumpsters and it has been reduced to one.

The one dumpster has to service 8 houses now and is overflowing by the 3rd day of emptying.

The management company is ignoring emails about it. I live beside the bin store and the smell is getting out of hand.

What can I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Are you an owner or renter. If you are an owner call a meeting of the other owners and get a new management company. If you are a renter get on to your landlord about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I am an owner. The place is going to the dogs in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I am an owner. The place is going to the dogs in the last few years.

Your a member of that management company along with all the other owners so if you want something changed the ball is in your court.
    When was the last agm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

It was last September. I have never gone to one. Never felt the need. Until now.

I have already been around 3 neighbors to get them to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'd suspect that the reason for the reduction is money. If many owners are not paying their management charges, then there might not be enough in the pot to cover the cost of services.

Why, before complaining, do you not ask about things?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

It was last September. I have never gone to one. Never felt the need. Until now.

There's never a need to go until there is one. For the sake of 45 minutes a year I go every year. We'd wager we have one of the best run complexes in Dublin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Complaining is only one aspect of the equation.
    Grasping the problem and coming up with solutions is the other.
    If the bins are supposed to be included as part of the management fee- and you're down to one bin- where from what you're saying realistically you need 3- you have two options- do away with communal bins, and have everyone do their own bins- or pay a higher management charge- and get the required resources to take charge of the communal waste issue.

You- as an owner- are part of the Management Company. This brings rights- and responsibilities. Sitting back and letting someone else carry the can- does not give you the right to complain when something goes wrong.

Frankly- I am amazed by owners who never attend an AGM complaining when things go wrong. How are you to know that it wasn't agreed to reduce resources for bins, to stop cleaning windows, to start car clamping in communal spaces- etc etc etc.

Part of communal living- is communal responsibility. Complain by all means- however- be aware that it will probably result in additional fees being charged to pay for a service.

As an aside- do you have an issue with owners who haven't paid their management charges- or who are behind with them? A slow tapering of expenditure like this- is indicative of a cashflow problem. If you had been to the AGM- you'd know what was behind all of this..........

Advertisement