Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog breed recommendation

• 18-04-2015 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Would anyone have a dog breed recommendation for a woman who is single, retired but still completely able bodied?

The dog maybe left alone for about an hour a day in an unenclosed space. He/she is likely to have to sleep outside so if this is not good for certain breeds please educate me.

It's better if the dog is not high maintenance (aside from the usual needing to being brought for a walk, washed and brushed) or prone to barking often.

The dog would need to be able to get on with a cat.

If there are any breeders recommended for ethical breeding in the kildare area please let me know. I'll be doing my own research anyway.

I've read the sticky on buying a puppy so know those basics now.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry but you absol cannot leave any dog in an unenclosed space.

Can you please explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but you absol cannot leave any dog in an unenclosed space.

Can you please explain?

It's a rural garden. There would be a number of ways to get out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Dots1982 wrote: »
    It's a rural garden. There would be a number of ways to get out of it.

For an hour a day the person would be better off getting a crate and crate training whatever dog they get. Or an outside run. No dog will stay in an unenclosed space, they are inclined to follow their nose and roam which is illegal and can lead to prosecution.

For low maintenence and an easy life I'd be recommending a rescue greyhound, they sleep pretty much all day, but no good rescue would rehome to somebody with an unenclosed garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Would you not be better off seeing what your local rescue centre have, then see if it's possible to take a rescue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

So, you plan on having a dog sleep outside, but also have access to roam?

We have a greyhound, but she hates the cold, she sleeps indoors on the couch, not practical in that resect,

Again, must re iterate no one would sign off on a rescue for you, if the gArden is not enclosed.

Why do you want a dog? If you just want to have something you wash and brush occasionally not nt get anther cat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

For an hour a day the person would be better off getting a crate and crate training whatever dog they get. Or an outside run. No dog will stay in an unenclosed space, they are inclined to follow their nose and roam which is illegal and can lead to prosecution.

For low maintenence and an easy life I'd be recommending a rescue greyhound, they sleep pretty much all day, but no good rescue would rehome to somebody with an unenclosed garden.

I'll look into crate training & an outside run. Not sure what either entails. Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks, you can make your point without being snarky. Why not nicely outline why an unenclosed garden is not ideal, or why the lady (who may not be the OP) might consider keeping her dog inside.
    Keep it nice. Snarkiness drives people away.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nyoto

Unenclosed garden is absolutley a no no. The dog is going to have a wander and get lost/killed. Cannot be done. I would always recommend getting a rescue dog but most rescues will do a home check and an unsecure garden just wont cut it. Someone suggested a greyhound and whilst I love greyhounds they arent suitable to be living outside. Their coats are too thin and they dont store body fat and just will not do well living outside in this climate. I cant really suggest a breed hardy enough to live outside that would be suitable for your friends situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

First of all as other posters have said your friend first needs to either crate train or build a fence/run for the dog. If the dog is going to be sleeping outside it will need an enclosed area anyway. It's far too dangerous to leave a dog to roam these days.

All that aside, has your friend ever owned a dog before? What size is her garden and does she have a specific breed in mind? some breeds may be easier than others but that's no guarantee that they will be and no breed should be considered a "starter breed". As another poster suggested greyhounds make great pets but a lot of retired rescue ones come from a racing background and that would not be safe with the cat. She could perhaps foster a puppy with a view to adopt and see how it gets on with the cat, rescue centers won't rehome to a non fenced in garden though

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

Hi, I adopted a dog about 20 month ago. Before doing so I was also worried on how to secure my back garden. Do not worry too much about it as it doesn't mean fencing the whole garden (which in the countryside can be tricky) but just fencing a small portion of the garden (or back garden) so that the dog can be left outside safely.

I would recommend that you contact a reputable local rescue and explain your worries, the people that do home check can certainly also visit your house and advise you on how to get ready for a dog even if you then don't adopt from them (but you would be surprised by how many stunning, often pure breed and trouble free dogs are available in rescues).

As for the dog sleeping outside, I do believe that often it doesn't depend only on the breed but also on the specific dog, my friend's collie sleeps happily outside while my labrador who happily walks or swims on the coldest wettest windiest days of the year, can not bear to be alone outside for more than 2 minutes (except if he has a frozen Kong to keep him company, in which case he lasts 20 minutes) .

As you live alone however, I do not think that a dog would be happy if it not only slept outside but also was not given access to the house during the day as dogs do crave stimulation and company more than anything and certainly more than space. There is only so much time one single person spends outside and your dog would probably end up being one of those "nuisances" barking and digging out of boredom. Would you not consider letting the dog share your life? : you can not imagine how rewarding that would be until you have done so ;) . If not, can you tell why you wouldn't ? Is it because you are worried it would be Too messy? Too noisy? In your way?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

SingItOut wrote: »
    As another poster suggested greyhounds make great pets but a lot of retired rescue ones come from a racing background and that would not be safe with the cat.

Just to dispel the myth, my ex-racer lets my cats sleep on top of her and licks their heads. ;) But definitely a greyhound is not a dog to sleep outside or to be left alone where she is visible from the road and could be stolen.

I have a feeling this dog will worm his way in to your friend's heart as she gets to know him, and will he end up having the best spot in front of the fire. Just some people that have never had a dog of their own before can't imagine they could settle or be clean in the house.

Advertisement