Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog weeing on/through bed...wtf!???!

• 18-04-2015 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I just let the 2 dogs out to go to the loo.. Bailey went in his usual spot and Lucy jumped up on the hi-k9 bed (mesh cover) and wee'd through it?! WTF is that all about?! :confused::o She sits on the bed all the time and if they get a bone/treat/toy out in the garden thats where she sits/lies with it so it does get plenty of use and it's definitely her spot.
    We had a mesh sun lounger when she was a baby that she used to sit on until she got her leg caught in it and so I replaced the lounger with the bed. She did wee on the lounger a couple of times but at the time she was still a baby and still being toilet trained so I didn't really think anything of it.

Apart from this her toilet habits are the same.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Would a cat or something else have weed on the bed beforehand? I was going to say did Bailey cock his leg on it, but he doesn't lift the leg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Would a cat or something else have weed on the bed beforehand? I was going to say did Bailey cock his leg on it, but he doesn't lift the leg?

No he doesn't cock his leg and come to think of it I don't think he ever even sits on that bed! Cats don't ever come into the garden - at least we never see any. I remember seeing the same wee formation :o the other day so I don't think it's the first time she's done it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Maybe she likes the fact there isn't much splash from the bed, keeping her paws clean?

I'd be careful though that it's not a symptom of pain when going to the toilet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

My little spaniel x, a year or two after I first got her, developed a habit of going up to my Westie's bowl when he'd finished eating, and peeing in it with leg half-cocked the way some bitches do :o
    Given their relationship, I always took it to be a sort of anxiety meets territorial thing:o... not bad anxiety now, but Westie-pants was a bit of a bully, though spaniel x quietly took no sh!t from him either!

Well I washed down the bed and underneath/in front of it yesterday and she hasn't done it since. Apparently birds sit on the bed lol so that might be it?

• Advertisement

Benson is always peeing on other dogs, usually when they're down sniffing somebody elses wee he tends to cock over their head. I don't think it's a territory thing, it's just impatience as he wants to mark over somebody elses wee! Although he's always a bit delighted with himself when he does it!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 gemmaS6988

If it's the fact that you don't like her weeing there scrub it with jeyes fluid which is safe for animals. If you catch her doing it best way to stop the weeing is when it happens spray your dog with cider and water just mix the too together and have in a spray bottle it's not harmful they just hate the smell. If you don't catch them doing it rub there nose in it and spray them works a treat keep doing until they stop great for puppy training

tk123 wrote: »
    Ok I just let the 2 dogs out to go to the loo.. Bailey went in his usual spot and Lucy jumped up on the hi-k9 bed (mesh cover) and wee'd through it?! WTF is that all about?! :confused::o She sits on the bed all the time and if they get a bone/treat/toy out in the garden thats where she sits/lies with it so it does get plenty of use and it's definitely her spot.
    We had a mesh sun lounger when she was a baby that she used to sit on until she got her leg caught in it and so I replaced the lounger with the bed. She did wee on the lounger a couple of times but at the time she was still a baby and still being toilet trained so I didn't really think anything of it.

Apart from this her toilet habits are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

gemmaS6988 wrote: »
    If it's the fact that you don't like her weeing there scrub it with jeyes fluid which is safe for animals. If you catch her doing it best way to stop the weeing is when it happens spray your dog with cider and water just mix the too together and have in a spray bottle it's not harmful they just hate the smell. If you don't catch them doing it rub there nose in it and spray them works a treat keep doing until they stop great for puppy training

That doesn't sound nice, wouldn't be a fan of that approach myself.

Sounds like dog training circa 1982 ;)

Dogs don't respond well to punishment. Chances are this method of training if carried out on indoor accidents will only cause the dog to sneak off and toilet somewhere else, out of your view, but still in the house where you don't want. How is the dog meant to associate that they've done something wrong, they'll just associate toileting with getting punished and do it out of view.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

If you catch her doing it best way to stop the weeing is when it happens spray your dog with cider and water just mix the too together and have in a spray bottle it's not harmful they just hate the smell.

What a terrible waste of cider :pac:

And water, come to think of it :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

That's interesting Dbb, my little sheltie used to pee in his own bowl after he finished eating out in his run. I thought at first it was him not wanting to dirty his space. Now he has a special bowl to pee it when he's out there. The other day I caught my brother's GSD cocking his leg on the outside of the run (it's mesh) where the 'pee bowl' is so now i'm not so sure and think maybe it's territory marking.

Sounds like dog training circa 1982 ;)

Dogs don't respond well to punishment. Chances are this method of training if carried out on indoor accidents will only cause the dog to sneak off and toilet somewhere else, out of your view, but still in the house where you don't want. How is the dog meant to associate that they've done something wrong, they'll just associate toileting with getting punished and do it out of view.

+1 I've no intention of punishing or bullying her by rubbing her nose into mesh/patio slabs or spraying her with anything - the spraying would be a reward for her anyways lol!:rolleyes:

Sorry cider vinger it's not one bit harm full you just spray it in the air and let it fall you obviously don't spray it in to direct face and it's was a very high up vet that told me to do it it worked when I was toileting training my pup and he is happy out now

Well my dog doesn't pee at all in the house I had awful time with him and this was the only thing that worked

Well my dog doesn't pee at all in the house I had awful time with him and this was the only thing that worked

That doesn't make it right though? The time people spend rubbing dogs noses into wee and poo (and I'm assuming they're tiny small breed puppies that are easy to push around ) and spraying them could just as easily be spent taking the dog out at regular times and getting up at night for a week or two. Why blame the dog for your mistake of not getting them out fast enough and not spotting the signs..

My dog isn't weeing in the house btw she's wee'd on a raised bed with a mesh cover a few times so no problems cleaning the bed or the slabs underneath. I was posting more to see why people thought she was doing it. She's been house trained since she was a young pup and rings her bell by the back door if she needs to go out..

Advertisement