Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing On (hopefully)

Options
  • 18-04-2015 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Right
    I am kind of new to this blogging logging lark ha. So bear with me please!!
    Started running last year despratley over weight and needing to improve my health to cut a long story short, had a varied year on and off running had one goal complete the Athlone half done at 2hr 33.
    Started back in Jan after 3months of lazieness!! Started slowy at 3mi 4 times a week, built the long runs up and completed the DUNE hm in 2:22 so that was goal no.1. Next is the Dundalk 10k on Wed have recentley upped the pace shortened distances and am hoping to the 10k in under the hr. The main reason joining this is I am a running secluse and am hoping to continue running with just myself but soak up some information here!!
    Next goal is Newry HM in as close to 2hr as possible.
    I actually dont have any training to log 'till after the 10k as im my last run in tomorrow started this in the hope i will continue it after the 10K!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭slogging...it

Taper nearly done early easy jog this morning, was meant to be 11min mi on empty stomach . Only done as 3mi as10k is wed.
    1st 10.35
    2nd 10.20
    3rd 10.45
    Walked a mile cool down.

Evening before race i rolled and stretched a bit as calfs had been tight all week!
    On the day of the race i had been doubting weither i'd tapered enough as i really upped the milage the previous 3weeks so i was a bit apprehensive all day. got there in plenty of time and went to warm up which was grand, first time warming up for when i was attacking a specific goal ( break the hour). I proberly over shot the mark warming up as i was over an hour, running; walking and stretching!!
    Any ways heres the report:

Goal: 10k in 1hr or less
    Target pace: 9.45 min/mi

Mile 1/2
    9.33/9.36
    Serious doubts the minute i started weither i would or could keep the pace focused on had a gel after mi 2 focused and pushed on.

Mile 3/4
    9.06/9.16
    Nothing spectatcular to write except thinking mile 2.7 was 3.7 and getting carried away. Just trying slowly keep pushing on.

Mile 5/6
    8.5/8.46
    Once i hit the half way i had been pushing a bit and these last two i knew i could push on a bit more and see what time i landed on!!

MIle .2
    Lungs on fire and knees wobbling crossed the in net time of 56.57. NEW PB

Delighted was my first offical 10k, Set a few knew times pbs and know have the confidence to hopefully run sub 2hr in Newry HM.
    PBS
    Old New
    5k 31.xx 27 xx
    10k 63.xx 56.57
    HM 2hr22 ??????

Right haven't updated much since as been hectic busy anyways:

Thurs 2 mi recover run 11.45mi mi
    Was then building a shed so held of on doing anything until Sunday in which i prob over done it a tiny bit, Went out with the intention of not doing over 11min mi for my lsr went as follows:
    1 10.40
    2 10.37
    3 10.48
    4 10.45
    5 10.42
    6 10.35
    7 10.34
    8 10.23
    9 10.13
    10 10.27
    11. 10.16
    12 10.46
    And finished with a hill sprint really enjoyed the jog was buzzing untiill tues happened!!!

Done a bit more work in garden on Sunday so no real rest up after and this is were i got caught!! Tues came a routine 5mi became a 3mi walk/run stretch
    So after that disaster i came to the conclusion that maybe i over cooked it the prev weekespec since i had not any real speed work done so took a2day break and back at it with a nice 3miler tonight (i Hope)

3MI done yesterday dont have the splits because usually if ive a few bad runs ill do one without the watch i find that it does help ta slip back in. So i worked from the markings i know it was roughly 3mi in 34min decent enough. Lomg run 2mo and a cycle now on Monday.

Sundays long wasnt so long after all few pints on Sat humidity and tiredness just rolled me over so done a hilly route dont have to hand but i reckon about 4/500 ft elevation gain over 7mi splits were as follows:
    1 10.52
    2 10.273
    3 10.39
    4 10.31
    5 10.38
    6 10.45
    7 .5mi hill sprint( i use the word sprint lightly)

Never sweated as much was very humind and was reminded exactly why i never run after any amount of alcohol. I must also use the pacer (on the watch) this Sunday and nail the paces at a bit slower 11min/mi and get in extra distance (also sleeping and lack of alcoholl id be pretty confident to get 12+mi again).

Done a nice 20+km cycle to work this morn going to try get one of these a week in.

Light recovery jog tom followed by my first dab of yoga??

• Advertisement

Yoga didnt happen simply to close to Newry to start anything else new along with the cycling. I have done lot of my shorter milage at 10.30 avg so now what im doing is a bit of distance at 11's and see were it leaves me. So yesterday (Wed) I done a 40min fartlek follwed by 3mi at 11s
    Splits were:
    1 11.17
    2 10.58
    3 11.18

Legs were extremely stiff for fartlek but i actually enjoyed the 3mi had a bath of epsom salts followed by a good bit of stretching and rolling. Looking forward to a bit of 11min mi and knock up the milage the next few days and then im into my taper Newry HM and see how close to the 2hr i get i think i should be there or there abouts going by the 10k and the work ill have done since. Here's hoping......

Been a bit slow updating this since last Wed now im into my taper for Newry can feel a bit of freshness coming back to my legs!! Last Thursday i done 5mi at 11.30min/mi
    1 11.48
    2 11.38
    3 11.43
    4 11.14
    5 10.59
    Took a two day break untill Sunday then and the went for my LSR
    1 11.00
    2 11.46
    3 11.36
    4 11.58
    5 11.33
    6 11.24
    7 11.15
    8 11.51
    9 11.21
    10 11.15
    11 11.03
    12 11.12

Took it nice handy as was running into the crosswind feel more confident about hitting the two mark in Newry still not a 100% sure tho

On a side note has anyone any links to a site that has the differant rolling techniques and how to actually do them properly as my rolling is pretty limited, thanks in advance!!

On a taper this week so it's been easy
    Done a nippy 2mi on Tuesday and on Thursday just went out without the watch and just enjoyed an easy 45min run with a mi walk after. Trying to keep the freshness in my legs and not put on any weight as I've finally given up the fags!

Advertisement