Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is camera tech cheaper in SE Asia

• 18-04-2015 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, I am going to Kuala Lumpur and Bali with my girlfriend in May.

She is interested in buying the Sony Lens style QX1 camera, which looks pretty cool and is well reviewed. Anyway, I've had a look at the official sony site, and it doesn't look any cheaper over there, would it be cheaper to buy it here online, airport duty free (can we get that) or in KL. http://www.sony.ie/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-qx1-body-kit

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Have not been to Bali so cannot say much other than I have not heard of anyone buy camera gear there.

KL is also not known for Camera bargains. I did buy an Olympus YX1 there a few years back but I only bargained a prices as good as I would have in Australia without Tax.

If you want to shop for camera gear then you should plan to transit Singapore or Hong Kong. The savings are not as much now as they used to be a long time ago, so not worth changing plans. The biggest saving you will make is not paying the VAT. You should also research the warranty situation when buying overseas. Some items have a worldwide warranty whereas others are only covered if you return them to the country of purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Thanks man, I really appreciate the advice. We were thinking of hitting up Singapore, if we do I'll save the tech buying for their.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If going to Singapore you can research prices online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I was in Bali in May 2014 and was on the lookout for good deals on prime lenses in the €100-€200 bracket.

I only found one shop in Denpasar that sold lenses and the prices were similar to Irish prices. Unless you're very good at haggling I wouldn't bother. I should have stayed at the beach and bought the lens at home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Prob a bit late here... but be careful if buying camera gear abroad as the warranties might not be valid. They would be so called "grey imports"

• Advertisement
Advertisement