Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

trying to pick a new full carbon

• 18-04-2015 4:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭

I'm trying to pick a new full carbon bike, I never really cycle more than 30km, so I was thinking of going for more of a racing setup, like the trek emonda. I was considering the cannondale synapse carbon also. My max spend is around 2250 would I get something much better second hand?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Why do you want a full carbon road bike with race geometry costing over 2 grand when you'll barely be using it? It's kind of like saying "I never really drive much more than a quick spin down the shops so I'm thinking I'd be better off with a WRC spec Subaru"
    You'd be much better getting a mid spec bike for less than €1000 and getting some mileage out of, getting used to riding in a racy position and then if you still want to you could upgrade later.

Also, if you never do more than 30km then chances are you'll hate being bunched up on a really stiff bike.

For the record I went straight from a MTB type hybrid to a full blown race spec carbon so I have a bit of perspective on this. I think the difference is I was doing 100km+ spins on the hybrid, I had slammed the stem and put on bar extensions, gone to clipless pedals and was riding in a much more aggressive position and at that stage I knew what I required as opposed to just wanted.

If the money is burning a hole in your pocket then go and buy whichever bike you like the look of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

2250 is loads of money for a new bike that's only doing 30km rides and probably too much to spend on something used unless it's exceptional.

I wouldn't discount aluminium frame either, you can get Di2 for that money.

http://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-xeon-rs-3100-di2-748421/aid:748430
    http://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-xeon-team-gf-3100--di2/aid:745058

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Why do you want a full carbon road bike with race geometry costing over 2 grand when you'll barely be using it? It's kind of like saying "I never really drive much more than a quick spin down the shops so I'm thinking I'd be better off with a WRC spec Subaru"
    You'd be much better getting a mid spec bike for less than €1000 and getting some mileage out of, getting used to riding in a racy position and then if you still want to you could upgrade later.

Also, if you never do more than 30km then chances are you'll hate being bunched up on a really stiff bike.

For the record I went straight from a MTB type hybrid to a full blown race spec carbon so I have a bit of perspective on this. I think the difference is I was doing 100km+ spins on the hybrid, I had slammed the stem and put on bar extensions, gone to clipless pedals and was riding in a much more aggressive position and at that stage I knew what I required as opposed to just wanted.

If the money is burning a hole in your pocket then go and buy whichever bike you like the look of.

I have a felt f75 that I do about 3 x 30km spins on a week, so know what its like. I want something easier and faster, especially if I'm going to get back into triathlon. And no I'm not going to buy a Tri bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

johnmck wrote: »
    I have a felt f75 that I do about 3 x 30km spins on a week, so know what its like. I want something easier and faster, especially if I'm going to get back into triathlon. And no I'm not going to buy a Tri bike!
    You won't get anything that feels easier and faster than your felt.

Would it not make more sense to splash money on fancy wheels and an aero helmet?

Actually, screw that - go to ebay.

http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzeige/black-canyon-cf-9-0-sl-aeroad-carbon-bike,-53-'frame/309946288-230-7974?ref=search

Aero frame, aero-ish wheels. Fast as anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ah right. Sorry, totally misunderstood where you were coming from.

Wilier Izoard, Ultegra 6800 and Cosmic Carbon SLS wheelset for €2190
    http://www.salden.nl/en/bikes-and-frames/wilier-izoard-2015-ltd-dip-opbouwfiets.html

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    You won't get anything that feels easier and faster than your felt.

Would it not make more sense to splash money on fancy wheels and an aero helmet?

Actually, screw that - go to ebay.

http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzeige/black-canyon-cf-9-0-sl-aeroad-carbon-bike,-53-'frame/309946288-230-7974?ref=search

Aero frame, aero-ish wheels. Fast as anything.

Bike I have is too big, its 58 and I should be on a 56 ! So I should be more comfortable and faster with a correctly fitting bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Spend the money Johnmck and fair play to you. Don't let those penny-pinching curmudgeons sully your purchase intentions with their price-taggery! The same lads are telling another lad on another thread with 1000euro what he could be buying if he doubled his budget!!! :rolleyes: :D

Loads of lovely bikes out there for your money. They'll all be good spec too. Go for the prettiest one that turns you on. Can't really go too far wrong :)

fat bloke wrote: »
    Spend the money Johnmck and fair play to you. Don't let those penny-pinching curmudgeons sully your purchase intentions with their price-taggery! The same lads are telling another lad on another thread with 1000euro what he could be buying if he doubled his budget!!! :rolleyes: :D

Loads of lovely bikes out there for your money. They'll all be good spec too. Go for the prettiest one that turns you on. Can't really go too far wrong :)

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit

The Edmonda is their lightweight model.
    If you are using the bike for triathlons or TTs you would benefit from a more aero bike rather than a lighter one.

Treks Madone range would probably be a more aggressive racing gemomotry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit

Et tú Bruté? Christ way to knife in the back the only lad in your corner.

I wasn't being sarcastic ya daft trout. I was sincere in my delight at a rare willingness for a new biker on this forum to rise above the standard thousand euro bike to work scheme fayre, and clapping you on the back for it. :rolleyes:

Buy the cannondale then. Is that straight enough for you? Or whatever. I don't care. Maybe the lads are right. An aul tiagra Defy is good enough for your Tesco trips.

<sheesh>

• Advertisement

I wasn't being sarcastic ya daft trout. I was sincere in my delight at a rare willingness for a new biker on this forum to rise above the standard thousand euro bike to work scheme fayre, and clapping you on the back for it. :rolleyes:

Buy the cannondale then. Is that straight enough for you? Or whatever. I don't care. Maybe the lads are right. An aul tiagra Defy is good enough for your Tesco trips.

<sheesh>

Fair enough, just because I don't play the "I done a million km's this weekend how far did you go" game doesn't mean I don't want a good bike! Ive never purchased a car because it looks good, im not gonna start doing it with a bike. I also average at least 6km of swims and 3 to 4, 5 km runs a week, so anything more than 30km to 40km cycles just isn't doable for me at the moment, I have to work sometime! Jeees Louise, maybe I came to the wrong forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

The Synapse is a fantastic bike but not really a racing setup although the Cannondale-Garmin team would have used it recently for Paris-Roubaix to handle the cobbles. It's more aimed at comfort for the endurance/sportive market, probably more like the Trek Domane than the Emonda.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

I've zero expertise but plan to go down this route in a year or two. Have you looked at Orros?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

Fair enough, just because I don't play the "I done a million km's this weekend how far did you go" game doesn't mean I don't want a good bike! Ive never purchased a car because it looks good, im not gonna start doing it with a bike. I also average at least 6km of swims and 3 to 4, 5 km runs a week, so anything more than 30km to 40km cycles just isn't doable for me at the moment, I have to work sometime! Jeees Louise, maybe I came to the wrong forum!

Clearly you did, you should be in here :pac:

In case the smiley above isn't clear enough, my tongue is practically against the wall, it is so firmly in my cheek!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I'm trying to pick a new full carbon bike, I never really cycle more than 30km, so I was thinking of going for more of a racing setup, like the trek emonda. I was considering the cannondale synapse carbon also. My max spend is around 2250 would I get something much better second hand?

Seriously, why spend that much on something for 30k cycles?

My brother has a Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0 ultegra, I think it is 2300 and is a stunning bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If you like your Felt F75 and are comfortable on it then why not go for the Felt F4 or if you want something a little less aggressive then get the Z4 Felt or but the F5/Z5 with 11spd 105 and spend the rest on a really good set of wheels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

<sheesh>

Nowt wrong with a Defy (a 105 one anyway!) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

If you like your Felt F75 and are comfortable on it then why not go for the Felt F4 or if you want something a little less aggressive then get the Z4 Felt or but the F5/Z5 with 11spd 105 and spend the rest on a really good set of wheels

Plus one on getting a decent bike, but leaving a good bit in the budget for decent aero wheels for when its dry and you want to go fast. Canyon fan here myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Don't go into the TDAR forum with that attitude anyway you'll get eaten alive. Lads in there will be doing double what you are and then 100km+ the weekends. You'll find most of them manage to work also ;)

If you've money to spare and want a nice bike go for it but keep in mind expensive isn't always better.

Why the aversion to buying a tri bike if as you say triathlon is your main point if focus? You seem to have a decent road bike if it doesn't fit you sell it and put the money from that in the pot and buy both a tri and a road bike.

Advertisement