Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI or VGA

Options
  • 18-04-2015 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

i am currently planning on putting a pc together and connecting it to the tv which needs to be upgraded aswell. should i look out for 1 with a vga connection or will a hdmi one do. graphics card will be a gtx970 and tv will be led full hd 1080p

Comments

HDMI all the way if your equipment supports it. VGA is analogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Monitor might be worth a punt if its only gonna be for the PC. If a TV, definitely HDMI

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Pro tip: Never VGA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

redrummed wrote:
    i am currently planning on putting a pc together and connecting it to the tv which needs to be upgraded aswell. should i look out for 1 with a vga connection or will a hdmi one do. graphics card will be a gtx970 and tv will be led full hd 1080p

I didn't think cards even had a vga anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

vga was yesterday, now it needs another place stay....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

HDMI, with the main reason being that HDMI carries both video and audio.

VGA only carries video, and you'll need a separate cable for audio.

HDMI also supports a better resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Does anyone else notice a difference between HDMI and DVI?

I find DVI a much more pleasing picture (less contrast) and sharper than HDMI - at least on the DELL laptops I've used where the all three options are available (VGA & HDMI and DVI via docking station).

The old analogue VGA is nearly better than HDMI they provide....but the DVI is perfectly sharp.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

ozmo wrote: »
    Does anyone else notice a difference between HDMI and DVI?

There is no difference, both are digital carry the same info, it's down to how it's processed by the device

• Registered Users Posts: 44 XXXtitan

DVI only transmits video, HDMI transmit both audio and video. Video quality on both DVI and HDMI use the same encoding scheme. So very much the same.

I always use dvi. Stronger overall connection. I route my audio through an optical cable so I don't require hdmi.

Advertisement