Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What you recommend for this boundary?

• 18-04-2015 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Up until last week a Coilte forest came right up to our boundary so didn't really need anything before. Now the wood is gone, which gives sun all day round which is nice. On the other hand the boundary (a bulldozed ridge of mud and stone) looks a bit naked. There's a few beech trees I put up there which are doing alright. I'd like to put in some shrubs and let them take over. Hydrangeas maybe. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Picture attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

What height?

If you like the new sunny aspect, what do you think beech trees are going to do?

A mixed evergreen shrubbery including Viburnum tinus, Garrya elliptica, Myrtle, Osmanthus burkwoodii and olearia haastii or macrodonta would be a good for start.

What height?

If you like the new sunny aspect, what do you think beech trees are going to do?

A mixed evergreen shrubbery including Viburnum tinus, Garrya elliptica, Myrtle, Osmanthus burkwoodii and olearia haastii or macrodonta would be a good for start.

Good point, the beech trees were planted as spares/future replacement for a front hedge we did. Something around that would double the height of the boundary is what I had in mind. I like some of your recommendations, thank you. As an aside - given it's raised bank it's probably going to be a lot drier. Is that why evergreens are better?

Evergreens = good screening all year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Second this! As well as that, plant them near enough to each other, and you have a fairly sturdy wall of branches. Had a line until recently blocking out the shed (we decided to put a window in it for more light, so the tree's had to go), and they hid it well.

You'll need to trim them once a year, though, to ensure they don't get too high, but they look awesome 365 days a year, and won't become barren twigs for a couple of months every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,828 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think its rather a personal thing, but for the look I would go with the mixed hedge suggested - include holly and a few small deciduous trees to take away the 'solid' look of it, its not as though you are blocking the view of a factory or a house overlooking you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Nope.
    Evergreens = a green wall 365 days a year, making no allowance for the low sun in winter time.
    Good screening = mixed planting, namely native species giving foilage and/or flowering interest all year round, that also cater for the changes in the seasons and allow a certain amount of light during the winter months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd second going for a mix of native plants. Great for bringing biodiversity into the garden.

Even birds prefer evergreens. I don't think there is any risk of impeding a low sun in your instance, given the planting will be 100+m away.

I'm always curious about 'native' planting, plants which thrive in available growing conditions is much more important criteria and afterall, I would argue how would one decide if Viburnum is +/- native than fuchsia, and does anyone care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Even birds prefer evergreens. I don't think there is any risk of impeding a low sun in your instance, given the planting will be 100+m away.

i would still advocate native plants, bees and birds will use them as a food source and attract other welcome wildlife.

• Advertisement

Wow, awesome feedback, thank you all. Will post for the archives what I end up doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭josip

Nope.
    Evergreens = a green wall 365 days a year, making no allowance for the low sun in winter time.
    Good screening = mixed planting, namely native species giving foilage and/or flowering interest all year round, that also cater for the changes in the seasons and allow a certain amount of light during the winter months.

Yep.

Advertisement