Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine Ireland Disaster!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Marianne2

Lemon48 can you clarify was it yourself PLUS 5 friends as you stated in your opening post (i.e. making 6 in total)? Or were there 5 of you in total as you stated later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭hopgog

lemon48 wrote: »
    Sorry, it was a 5 person place and we had 5 people coming? And the terms and conditions clearly said that only one adult was needed and there was more than one adult in our group

In your op you said me and my 5 friends, that is 6, just like mcd won't allow one 19 year to take 5 minors to a concert this place insurance company would have an issue too

• Registered Users Posts: 27 lemon48

hopgog wrote: »
    If you live a such a bad area you can't walk safely for 15 mins, you are not the type of group of underage kids I would want overcrowding my holiday home. Lot's of young people have 02 card cause they can't get a real card not cause they are handy, I pnly ever see friends use them to buy drugs online when it was to much hassle to get some bitcoin.

We do not live in a bad area at all. Infact we live in a relatively safe area. However it's irresponsible in my option to walk for 15 mins down a busy street with over €350 in your procession, do you really think that's a good idea?? We were being responsible as most people would agree, walking around with large sums of money is not ideal.
    I made a mistake with my reply, it was 6 of us who has booked a 6 bed house. Apologies about that. We're not the type to wreck houses, believe it or not, some teenagers can actually be responsible

If you live a such a bad area you can't walk safely for 15 mins, you are not the type of group of underage kids I would want overcrowding my holiday home. Lot's of young people have 02 card cause they can't get a real card not cause they are handy, I pnly ever see friends use them to buy drugs online when it was to much hassle to get some bitcoin.

We do not live in a bad area at all. Infact we live in a relatively safe area. However it's irresponsible in my opinion to walk for 15 mins down a busy street with over €350 in your procession, do you really think that's a good idea?? We were being responsible as most people would agree, walking around with large sums of money is not ideal.
    I made a mistake with my reply, it was 6 of us who has booked a 6 bed house. Apologies about that. We're not the type to wreck houses, believe it or not, some teenagers can actually be responsible

Marianne2 wrote: »
    Lemon48 can you clarify was it yourself PLUS 5 friends as you stated in your opening post (i.e. making 6 in total)? Or were there 5 of you in total as you stated later on.

Sorry I made a mistake with my reply. As stated in my original message there was 6 of us, who booked a house which slept 6 people. Apologies for that mistake, however I can assure you we did not try and sneak anyone in, it was 6 people who booked a house suitable to sleep 6.

• Advertisement

We do not live in a bad area at all. Infact we live in a relatively safe area. However it's irresponsible in my option to walk for 15 mins down a busy street with over €350 in your procession, do you really think that's a good idea?? We were being responsible as most people would agree, walking around with large sums of money is not ideal.

€350 is not a large amount, I have walk to buy cars with a lot more, I can't see how a group of 6 teenagers would feel unsafe walking a few min to a bank in the middle of the day in a nice area.

Not like someone is going to rob the group of you in the middle of the day in a nice area. You are also now changing the story about occupancy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

We're not the type to wreck houses, believe it or not, some teenagers can actually be responsible

This is not about whether teenagers can be responsible, there are all sorts of implications for Imagine Ireland here. They ask that there be an adult leader as that is vital in terms of child protection, insurance etc when youth groups travel and book accommodation. They are in the business of booking accommodation to adults, families or youth groups. Accommodating a group of minors with one adult who is not a designated leader, and therefore has no legislative responsibility for the minors could leave them wide open. They should never have accepted this booking. In my view they were correct to cancel the booking, but should refund the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd wonder if the person you tried to rent from has pulled this stunt before? Some young people wouldn't chase up a lost deposit, if they didn't know their rights.

€350 is not a large amount, I have walk to buy cars with a lot more, I can't see how a group of 6 teenagers would feel unsafe walking a few min to a bank in the middle of the day in a nice area.

Not like someone is going to rob the group of you in the middle of the day in a nice area. You are also now changing the story about occupancy

You personally may feel that's not a large amount of money, but we all had small summer jobs and to US it was a large amount of money which we felt safer lodging somewhere much closer! Im not saying we would have been mugged, but we took precautions to ensure it was as safe as possible.

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd wonder if the person you tried to rent from has pulled this stunt before? Some young people wouldn't chase up a lost deposit, if they didn't know their rights.

I've read on TripAdvisor that people have had similar experiences with the company, and that is why we're trying to persue our deposit

• Advertisement

MouseTail wrote: »
    This is not about whether teenagers can be responsible, there are all sorts of implications for Imagine Ireland here. They ask that there be an adult leader as that is vital in terms of child protection, insurance etc when youth groups travel and book accommodation. They are in the business of booking accommodation to adults, families or youth groups. Accommodating a group of minors with one adult who is not a designated leader, and therefore has no legislative responsibility for the minors could leave them wide open. They should never have accepted this booking. In my view they were correct to cancel the booking, but should refund the deposit.

Yes, and we are not in dispute about the booking, I understand the companies concerns and we did not take a major issue with the cancellation, however I believe we should be refunded the deposit, as the company cancelled on US, not the other way round

You personally may feel that's not a large amount of money, but we all had small summer jobs and to US it was a large amount of money which we felt safer lodging somewhere much closer! Im not saying we would have been mugged, but we took precautions to ensure it was as safe as possible.

Why not all electronicly transfer it from your home or meet up outside the bank. There is no reason to use an 02 card expect wanting to avoid having your card on file if there was damage

Why not all electronicly transfer it from your home or meet up outside the bank. There is no reason to use an 02 card expect wanting to avoid having your card on file if there was damage

Your just making assumptions about us not wanting to be traceable which is not true. Imagine Ireland had all our email addresses, contact numbers, so why would we have given this information if we didn't want to be traceable back????

Your just making assumptions about us not wanting to be traceable which is not true. Imagine Ireland had all our email addresses, contact numbers, so why would we have given this information if we didn't want to be traceable back????

Hotels have that too and all of it could be fake, they want a cc on file to charge any excess damage which the o2 card avoids.

How many nights where you staying and did you have an itinerary of plans to do in the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Hi op
    Just email the imagine Ireland people and tell them to refund the deposit please thank you
    If they don't then explain that you will need tho go to small claims court and that they will have to hire a solicitor and turn up to pay you your deposit back
    Then if they don't refund you just start a small claims court case

And I really would ignore any agenda based comments
    O2 cards are not primariarly used for drugs lol

Hotels have that too and all of it could be fake, they want a cc on file to charge any excess damage which the o2 card avoids.

How many nights where you staying and did you have an itinerary of plans to do in the area?

Our contact details clearly weren't fake as we made regular contact with Imagine Ireland through phone and email. Also they have the address of the party leader and they sent a letter to this address confirming booking. 7 nights and yes, we had made plans of what to do, however they never asked for this, I have been to many hotels and houses and never once have been asked for my intinery of plans. The only place I have ever been asked is US Customs

Tigger wrote: »
    Hi op
    Just email the imagine Ireland people and tell them to refund the deposit please thank you
    If they don't then explain that you will need tho go to small claims court and that they will have to hire a solicitor and turn up to pay you your deposit back
    Then if they don't refund you just start a small claims court case

And I really would ignore any agenda based comments
    O2 cards are not primariarly used for drugs lol

Thank you very much, this is exactly what we are intending to do. And yes I know O2 cards are not primarily used for drugs, Ive used mine many times and not once have I used it for drugs!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The method of payment has nothing to do with the OP not getting the refund they are due.

OP email a Formal Complaint to the company asking for the refund of your deposit and informing them that if they do not you will be initiating a Small Claims Court case for its refund.

>Sorry already covered.

my3cents wrote: »
    The method of payment has nothing to do with the OP not getting the refund they are due.

OP email a Formal Complaint to the company asking for the refund of your deposit and informing them that if they do not you will be initiating a Small Claims Court case for its refund.

Thank you, yes I didn't think paying with an O2 card made any difference as the company had all our contact details anyway, so we were traceable. Yes that's what we're doing to do!

Our contact details clearly weren't fake as we made regular contact with Imagine Ireland through phone and email. Also they have the address of the party leader and they sent a letter to this address confirming booking. 7 nights and yes, we had made plans of what to do, however they never asked for this, I have been to many hotels and houses and never once have been asked for my intinery of plans. The only place I have ever been asked is US Customs

Just saying, a group in my leaving cert this this too, booked a place created a new email, new pay as you go sim and prepay card to book the place. They when underage so would not get served in a bar so racked up cans an ounce of weed and some pills and had a jooly good time out the country. It's a common plan for underage end of year parties

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just saying, a group in my leaving cert this this too, booked a place created a new email, new pay as you go sim and prepay card to book the place. They when underage so would not get served in a bar so racked up cans an ounce of weed and some pills and had a jooly good time out the country. It's a common plan for underage end of year parties

Sorry whats that got to do with the OP not getting his deposit back?

Just because you knew 1 group who did this, doesn't mean all groups do. None of our contact details were fake, all were real. This was not an "underage end of year party"

Just because you knew 1 group who did this, doesn't mean all groups do. None of our contact details were fake, all were real. This was not an "underage end of year party"

Cause you have changed the story a few times and it happens a lot, hence LL canceling groups like yours.

And if it was really like you said at the start 6 people for 5 person house, he doesn't have to give back your deposit

Cause you have changed the story a few times and it happens a lot, hence LL canceling groups like yours.

And if it was really like you said at the start 6 people for 5 person house, he doesn't have to give back your deposit

I have explained this already, I made a mistake with my reply, I can assure you 100% we booked a house that slept 6 people and we booked it for 6 people!!
    Your simply making assumptions based on our age , our area and our method of payment which is totally ridiculous. I have no changed the story, I simply made ONE typing error and have rectified this. It was a house suitable to sleep 6 people and we booked it for 6 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Hopgog don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I find your response unreal
    You are here preaching to this poster about trashing houses and here you are with friends that uses 02 cards to buy drugs on line.
    All teenagers are not the same as the so called friends that you have

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just saying
    If this was the case, why leave it until TWO DAYS before the booking to cancel?

I'd almost wonder if the person renting the house just got a last minute booking for a longer period, and canceled the OP's booking for that reason.

OP, let it be known to Imagine Ireland that either

a) they give you back your deposit,
    or
    b) you bring them to the small claims court because they have not returned your deposit after they cancelled your holiday at very short notice.

the_syco wrote: »
    If this was the case, why leave it until TWO DAYS before the booking to cancel?

I'd almost wonder if the person renting the house just got a last minute booking for a longer period, and canceled the OP's booking for that reason.

OP, let it be known to Imagine Ireland that either

a) they give you back your deposit,
    or
    b) you bring them to the small claims court because they have not returned your deposit after they cancelled your holiday at very short notice.

Yes I have sent an email to imagine Ireland saying that we will take it to the small claims court if we do not receive our deposit. I also contacted the National Consumer Agency through consumerhelp.ie and they informed me that this was a matter for the small claims court. Thanks for your help!

Clearly you are due your deposit back, unless you misrepresented yourselves in some way to the company.

However, if I was the owner of the house I would also have refused that booking and chastised the company for taking it.

I would think that the owners only learned about the make-up of the party and the fact that they had no security in place in the days before the booking (they probably asked about the party for bedding etc) and immediately said no-way to the company.

• Advertisement

Clearly you are due your deposit back, unless you misrepresented yourselves in some way to the company.

However, if I was the owner of the house I would also have refused that booking and chastised the company for taking it.

I would think that the owners only learned about the make-up of the party and the fact that they had no security in place in the days before the booking (they probably asked about the party for bedding etc) and immediately said no-way to the company.

Our issue is not with the cancellation, we completely understand why the owner wouldn't want a young group. Teenagers have a reputation and although we only had good genuine intentions, we understand why an owner would prefer to take a family booking for example. What we have issue with, is that the company accepted our booking and for a month, confirmed it was okay with both themselves and the owner. They knew our ages and the number in our party, yet we were told 2 days before the balance was due that our booking was cancelled because we were- to quote the owner- "a young group". We accepted this, but obviously wanted our deposit back as this cancellation is out of our control, so naturally we should get our deposit back. We have no issue with the cancellation, the issue is that we told the truth from the beginning, gave all our contact details and were being told we are not getting our deposit back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement