Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinning brown trout,hook keeps slipping.Please Help

• 18-04-2015 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hello,it's me again.I hae been out spinning today and I landed two fine brownies but I have had a lot of takes and bites but they all got spit out or slipped and I didn't land them.What is up with this?I was using a mepps aglia silver blade size 2.Do I have to set the hook or what?How do I set it in time?

It is getting annoying now as I finally found a method that catches brown trout at my local lake(p.s I will be learning fly fishing there also but I also love spinning)

Thanks and tight lines.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Check to see that all the hooks are proper and not bent or slightly straightened.
    Even the slightest bend or straight on it can cause missed chances. Happend to me a lot before proper looking at the spinner.
    The strike should be pretty instint.
    Was it river or lake fishing

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

Check to see that all the hooks are proper and not bent or slightly straightened.
    Even the slightest bend or straight on it can cause missed chances. Happend to me a lot before proper looking at the spinner.
    The strike should be pretty instint.
    Was it river or lake fishing

It was lake fishing and my hooks are the same as when I bought the spinner.I have mepps with spots(one with red spot gold blade and the other blue spot silver blade)All the takes felt relatively the same as my two brownies and I definitely felt wriggling until the fish was gone.

It is pretty much annoying me know.I will be going fishing again next week if I can and I hope to have this problem fixed.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I get ya now.
    Lake fishing is different with takes. Put a two foot leader on a swivel and then attach your spinner to it. What this does then as the take happens it'll pull at the swivel meaning a quicker hook set.
    Lake fishing is different as the depths are obviously deeper so the time you realise it's a take the fish has the time to throw the hook before you strike.
    Two or 3 bb shots can help also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

you need to get "outpoint" partridge hooks, they lethal and will hook 60 - 70% better then the original hooks on mepps spinners, you'll get them in landers, heard yourself and ollie getting some fish delighted for ye! :)

Thanks for the advice Dan.I am so happy that I am catching fish.I now absolutely love wild fishing(I used to like stockie fishing)The fight from wild browns is truly thrilling.

Believe it or not I am starting to learn how to fly fish.I am saving up money for fly rod and equipment and I nearly have enough money for the fly rod.I cant wait to start fly fishing but I will not be giving up spinning.

You have always been a great help Dan and I appreciate you for that.I have tried bubble and fly many times but nada.

Also thanks to Dodderangler.

Tight Lines

:pac: I am truly addicted to brownie fishing.IMHO brownie fishing is much more sporty than stocked fishing.

Extra Tight Lines:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Any idea how big the trout are that you're losing? If there small fish you're better off going with smaller spinners. Size 0 or 1. Fish mightnt be biting it atall and just barley gettin hooked as it cant fit its mouth around it? A size 2 id be using for pike..a small one can catch big fish but a big one wont catch small fish

Maybe that's the problem,but I will be starting fly fishing very soon and I may not be spinning that often anymore.Thanks for the help though.I might buy a size 1 or 0 along with the fly rod so I will have a backup when the fly isn't working.

I will be starting with a Shakespeare agility fly rod.I cant wait until I can start fly fishing.I nearly have enough money for the fly rod and all the equipment.

Thanks for your help.

Tight Lines,
    MadDog1999

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Any idea how big the trout are that you're losing? If there small fish you're better off going with smaller spinners. Size 0 or 1. Fish mightnt be biting it atall and just barley gettin hooked as it cant fit its mouth around it? A size 2 id be using for pike..a small one can catch big fish but a big one wont catch small fish

I think the fish are small enough maybe average half pound but there is common 2 lb trout in the lake.I may also have to practice setting the hook,I will have to practice this anyway due to me fly fishing soon.

ComfortKid wrote: »

Also how well does a size 1 mepps cast?The lake i fish I usually cast a bit far out.I dont know if adding split shot would increase my snag rate of the spinner due to my lake being shallow enough.And I am afraid that split shot would spook the fish and my catch rates would go down.I may be able to cast a size 1 far enough.I will buy a size 1 anyway and I will keep the size 2 and try to improve my hookset rate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

If they're less than a pound you are definitely better off with a smaller spinner. Not too sure about casting distance though it would depend on the rod and line you're using. Ya id start fly fishing myself but it's just too expensive for me as you'd need licence and permit to fish any decent river. I gets great enjoyment with my size 0 on small mountain streams.

• Advertisement

I will stick with size 1 mepps but i will keep the size 2 also.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement