Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dropping the night feed when weaning

Options
  • 18-04-2015 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    smallie is now 4 months old and doing great thankfully!! we're looking into weaning her in the next couple of months (i want to wait till 6 months from what i've read on here but the wife wants to start at 5 months) and i'm wondering what the story will be with the dream/night feed?? currently her routine is:
    7am
    11am
    3pm
    7pm
    11pm
    most are 6oz except for the 7am which we give her an extra ounce.

we wake her and change her for the dream feed and someone told us to gradually drop an ounce over time until we think she is ready, does this sound right?? and if so when should we start this??

other thing i'm wondering is once we start weaning does the bottle routine change much??

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Babies are supposed to get their nutrition from breast milk or formula until one year of age so I would not drop any feeds just because they're starting solids. Also six months is the recommended age for starting solids. We did baby led weaning and let the baby explore foods at their own pace. I breast and bottle fed my first and breastfed my second and both times they slowly moved from milk to solids at their own pace without the need to actively drop milk feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Ours is 6 months now and we've got her to this

7am 7oz bottle
    10am solids
    11:30am 5oz bottle
    2pm solids
    4pm 5oz bottle
    6pm 7oz bottle
    8pm 7oz bottlle

And it's down for the night to bed

We had the 11/12pm bottle for a while but we kept moving the feeds earlier and earlier and eventually she didn't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Mine dropped their dreamfeed about 2-3 weeks into weaning. They now go from 6,30-6,30 without looking for a feed. I did the 3,7,11 routine too. They take 7/8 oz when they wake brekkie at 8,30. 5 oz at 11 dinner and dessert at 12 7/8 oz at 3. Tea at 5 and last bottle 7/8 at 6,30. Seems to work they are stsrting to drop the 11 am themselves as most days they might only take 2/3 oz.. I also offer them lots of water auto replace missing fluids from milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Our lass is 14 months

8am solids
    10am 6 oz bottle
    1pm solids
    4pm 6 oz bottle
    6pm solids
    8pm 6 oz bottle and solids if required

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

thanks guys, will see how it goes when the solids are introduced in the next few weeks

• Advertisement
Advertisement