Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanting to buy the house I'm renting

Options
  • 18-04-2015 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hey there, just out of curiosity ....

I've been renting the house I've been living in for the past 5 years. It's been put on the market and my husband and I would like to purchase it. Now, I was told by someone that we have priority over other bidders because we've lived in the house for over two years. Is this a law here in Ireland? I was told it was but can't find proper info on it through Google. Was wondering if someone knew?

Thanks 😊

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

You have the same rights as anyone else that wants to buy the house , no more no less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You will have to buy it on the open market like everyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Bull McCabe has strong opinions on this topic ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If the landlord gives you notice to vacate the property- as he/she is selling it- and subsequently makes the property re-available for letting (for whatever reason they didn't sell it)- you have first refusal on renting the property again. You have no additional rights of purchase however- the owner is free to sell the property to the highest bidder (or indeed any other bidder). You have to take part in the process like anyone else. If the landlord is amenable to selling it to you without a competitive sale scenario- happy days- but they have no obligation whatsoever to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

In some countries the tenants have first right of refusal when the place they are renting is sold, e.g. 'Vorkaufsrecht' in Germany. Unfortunately for you, this is not the case in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The only situation I can think of is if your landlord is a council or other special-case housing provider, that there may be preference given to existing residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭afterhours

Cool, no problem. It seemed to good to be true!!! I guess this only applies to council housing... Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

We bought the house we were renting. We got notice that house gonna be put up for sale, we said we would be interested in buying, when the estate agent came over to inspect the property, we met with him and went through things with him. The house never went up on the window or Internet for sale.

Advertisement