Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potatoes growing twoards the ground

• 18-04-2015 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭

I planted main crop Sarpo Mira spuds over 2 weeks ago (weather was excellent so said I`d get them in early). I had chitted them. I decided id have a peak at one today just to see how they are getting on and the shoots appear to be growing towards the ground and not up to the sky.
    Is this a problem or will it just correct itself?

Little bit more info:
    They are about 4 inches down, so not too deep down.
    Soil isn't excellent but it`s ok

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I planted main crop Sarpo Mira spuds over 2 weeks ago (weather was excellent so said I`d get them in early). I had chitted them. I decided id have a peak at one today just to see how they are getting on and the shoots appear to be growing towards the ground and not up to the sky.
    Is this a problem or will it just correct itself?

Little bit more info:
    They are about 4 inches down, so not too deep down.
    Soil isn't excellent but it`s ok

You planted them upside down.

Only joking. Give them a few weeks and your will see the stalk breaking through the surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

Geotropism (or gravitropism) will sort it out naturally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitropism

Advertisement