Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange WIFI issue

Options
  • 18-04-2015 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

I was on standard DSL up until about a month ago, and everything was perfect in terms of connectivity. I use the laptop at home, and it was via WIFI to the DSL router in the hallway, usual setup.
    I upgraded to fibre last month, and the new router was installed. Ever since, I've had strange connectivity issues. Intermittently, the wifi symbol on the bottom right (windows 7) will show I've an issue, and sure enough, a click on it shows my wifi connection has "no internet access".
    The obvious conclusion is that the internet link is down - but strangely I can still access the web on other devices (tablet/phone).
    When I try to browse to the web interface of the router (192.168.1.1), it fails, however my wifi status still shows I'm connected to the router. If I disconnect and reconnect my wifi link to the router, I get internet back for a little while, but it tends to drop soon enough again. A reboot of my laptop seems to sort it out better, and I get no issue for a while (another day or so).
    So, it seems as if the issue points towards my laptop, as other devices work fine when this happens, and a reboot gets it going again - but my laptop performed perfectly when the old router was in place, so it seems a bit of a coincidence this is just happening since the new router was installed

Any pointers/help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Buggy NIC driver. Manually check for an updated version.

Wouldnt be surprised if yo have a vista era HP/Tosh either.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

if you have an atheros or qualcomm atheros wifi adapter let me know. i have drivers for both that works with fibre modems

my laptop (toshiba) win 8.1 pro has a qualcomm atheros adapter it wouldnt work on either f1000 or f2000 until i put the custom driver on it.. it works perfectly now

my old laptop win 7 64bit had an atheros 5007 EG adapter on it.. the custom driver (both win 32bit and win 64bit) i have for that also works with f1000 and f2000 modems

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

if you have an atheros or qualcomm atheros wifi adapter let me know. i have drivers for both that works with fibre modems

my laptop (toshiba) win 8.1 pro has a qualcomm atheros adapter it wouldnt work on either f1000 or f2000 until i put the custom driver on it.. it works perfectly now

my old laptop win 7 64bit had an atheros 5007 EG adapter on it.. the custom driver (both win 32bit and win 64bit) i have for that also works with f1000 and f2000 modems

Thanks a mil. Yes, my laptop has an Atheros AR5B93 wifi adaptor. I did check for an updated driver after my original post, and one was found and installed. I haven't had the issue again since - but thats not to say it won't happen, so if you have a driver that'll work I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

kelbal wrote: »
    Thanks a mil. Yes, my laptop has an Atheros AR5B93 wifi adaptor. I did check for an updated driver after my original post, and one was found and installed. I haven't had the issue again since - but thats not to say it won't happen, so if you have a driver that'll work I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again

yeah there is a guy who re-wrote all of atheros drivers

check out www.atheros.cz (note this is not an official atheros website but his drivers work)

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

yeah there is a guy who re-wrote all of atheros drivers

check out www.atheros.cz (note this is not an official atheros website but his drivers work)

thanks alot

• Advertisement
Advertisement