Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon Monoxide Alarm in rented accommodation

Options
  • 19-04-2015 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

I'm in a rented house, moved in on Wed and the house has a gas boiler and gas cooker. It's an old house and I'm paranoid about carbon monoxide poisoning.

Should a landlord provide an alarm or is it up to the tenant.
    The best ones that I read about apparently are the mains operated ones?

If I need to buy myself I will prob need two. One upstairs one downstairs. Anyone recommend a place to buy two?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I wouldn't wait on the LL to provide them. Get your own. Argos do some for a fairly reasonable price. So do Woodie's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Lunaarli wrote: »
    I'm in a rented house, moved in on Wed and the house has a gas boiler and gas cooker. It's an old house and I'm paranoid about carbon monoxide poisoning.

Should a landlord provide an alarm or is it up to the tenant.
    The best ones that I read about apparently are the mains operated ones?

If I need to buy myself I will prob need two. One upstairs one downstairs. Anyone recommend a place to buy two?!

As a LL I don't know who legally needs to supply one, but for the sake of €30 I put one in my tenants property. They can be got as pat of a safety kit on most sites now for in and around €60 and that includes CO detector, fire extinguisher and fire blanket.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Woodies had them on special lately- a tenner for a Kidde one.
    Carbon Monoxide detectors have a 'best-before' date on them- make sure you check the date before you buy. Their efficiency deteriorates over time.
    You'll get a good one for less than 20- or an all-singing, all-dancing one for 30-40 quid.

Personally- I wouldn't rely on someone else to supply me with one- and I would also check it regularly- and change the batteries in it every 6-8 months (as I do with the smoke alarms here). It may seem paranoid- but its a small price to pay for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I supplied two to tenants.

I swear it paid off big time, room sealed oil burner had a **** fit and started pouring fumes into the house in the middle of the night. The alarm woke them.
    Engineer said that without the alarm they would possible all have died in their sleep. .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- get one. They're widely available. Don't wait. Discuss deducting the cost from the rent with the landlord after the fact. It really isn't something you want to argue about- just get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd get one or two, and ask the LL for the money for them.

He might be able to put them down as expenses on his/her tax return.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

A carbon monoxide alarm should be placed in any room where any form of fuel is being used including Gas, Oil, Coal etc etc.
    I would recommend that you buy a unit with its own life-long battery built in, as the complete unit is designed to be replaced when the battery starts to fade as the sensors are then reaching the end of their effective time.
    Most good units will last a minimum of 5 years, so for the price it is a good investment.

Further recommended reading..
    Carbon Monoxide Thread

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

K.Flyer wrote: »
    A carbon monoxide alarm should be placed in any room where any form of fuel is being used including Gas, Oil, Coal etc etc.
    I would recommend that you buy a unit with its own life-long battery built in, as the complete unit is designed to be replaced when the battery starts to fade as the sensors are then reaching the end of their effective time.
    Most good units will last a minimum of 5 years, so for the price it is a good investment.

Further recommended reading..
    Carbon Monoxide Thread

+1

Most now come with sealed in batteries with a 5 year or 10 year life span.

http://propertyproducts.ie/safety-kits/fire-carbon-monoxide-safety-pack.html

Advertisement