Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boadband for rural area

Options
  • 19-04-2015 12:55am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there any plans for Eircom to bring broadband to rural areas.

I live in a fairly remote area outside of a small town. By outside i mean 12 miles outside going partially up a mountain. There a few houses in the surrounding area and a tiny village 2 miles away. Possibly no more than 3 per mile for a bit then 1 every 2-3 miles.

None of the houses, and not even this tiny village (2 pubs and five houses), has broadband from cable/ADSL. It's all dongle this and wirelss that. Signal strength with the latest gear, and at the lowest usage (usually 2am) is 700 kb/s. During peak hours it's between 24kb/s to a high of 90kb/s (between 10am - 9pm)

12 miles up the road is the town, and they have their options of high speed broadband providers with speeds of up to 24mb/s. Will it ever be rolled out to areas such as the one i live in? I've been asking Eircom (we get reps around from time to time) and i'm told in 12 months, another 18 months, another 12 months, etc. For over 8 years i'm getting this, but it never appears. Instead the towns with high speed get faster speeds, 4g, etc. 

I understand there is a cost to running these lines, but will i ever see decent broadband in the near future?

Thanks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Cass wrote: »
    Is there any plans for Eircom to bring broadband to rural areas.

I live in a fairly remote area outside of a small town. By outside i mean 12 miles outside going partially up a mountain. There a few houses in the surrounding area and a tiny village 2 miles away. Possibly no more than 3 per mile for a bit then 1 every 2-3 miles.

None of the houses, and not even this tiny village (2 pubs and five houses), has broadband from cable/ADSL. It's all dongle this and wirelss that. Signal strength with the latest gear, and at the lowest usage (usually 2am) is 700 kb/s. During peak hours it's between 24kb/s to a high of 90kb/s (between 10am - 9pm)

12 miles up the road is the town, and they have their options of high speed broadband providers with speeds of up to 24mb/s. Will it ever be rolled out to areas such as the one i live in? I've been asking Eircom (we get reps around from time to time) and i'm told in 12 months, another 18 months, another 12 months, etc. For over 8 years i'm getting this, but it never appears. Instead the towns with high speed get faster speeds, 4g, etc. 

I understand there is a cost to running these lines, but will i ever see decent broadband in the near future?

Thanks.
    Hi Cass

If you would like to PM me your specific address I can look in to this for you and check plans for network expansion.

Also, I suggest checking out these link for details on the national broadband plan

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Communications/National+Broadband+Plan/ & http://www.broadband.gov.ie/

Thanks

Al

Advertisement