Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left Eircom and 320euros taken without any bill

Options
  • 19-04-2015 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

I stopped Eircom contract due to price increase and all was fine untill i got my bank bill 2 months later. Seems that eircom took 320 euros and no bill issued. Had no chance to call as the eircom support is 9 to 17 and i work more than they. 

It will be good to know the reason i was stung

Many thanks
    Rai 

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you are paying by direct debit then you have rights to an immediate no questions asked refund from your bank as described here.

Also you should have a got a minimum of 14 days notice of any amount due to be deducted under the dd scheme.
    Advance notice of the date and the amount of each direct debit, this must be provided by the Creditor. The advance notice period is generally fourteen days, or in some cases seven days or less if agreed by all parties, before the direct debit is applied

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

dub45 wrote: »
    If you are paying by direct debit then you have rights to an immediate no questions asked refund from your bank as described here.

Also you should have a got a minimum of 14 days notice of any amount due to be deducted under the dd scheme.
    Advance notice of the date and the amount of each direct debit, this must be provided by the Creditor. The advance notice period is generally fourteen days, or in some cases seven days or less if agreed by all parties, before the direct debit is applied
    That is fantastic, i will use this opportunity to get my monies back. Many many thanks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

rai555 wrote: »
    I stopped Eircom contract due to price increase and all was fine untill i got my bank bill 2 months later. Seems that eircom took 320 euros and no bill issued. Had no chance to call as the eircom support is 9 to 17 and i work more than they. 

Many thanks
    Rai 
    Hi rai555

If you would like to PM me your eircom account number I will be happy to look in to this further for you.

Thanks
    Al

Many thanks
    Rai 
    Hi rai555

If you would like to PM me your eircom account number I will be happy to look in to this further for you.

Thanks
    Al
    pm sent

Hi rai555

Thanks for those details I will respond to your PM as soon as I have an update.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Hi rai555

Thanks for those details I will respond to your PM as soon as I have an update.

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan, i think 7 days is pretty decent time to find out what is the  story unless you have nothing to add. I've seen few other requests with similar issues and there was some clarity made. Could you get me posted?  Cheers

Thanks for taking my call rai555

The full amount has been cleared and no further balance remains - apologies for the inconvenience this caused and please feel free to get back to me should you have any further queries.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks for taking my call rai555

The full amount has been cleared and no further balance remains - apologies for the inconvenience this caused and please feel free to get back to me should you have any further queries.

Thanks
    Al
    Thank you for the call, all is sorted now,  bank returned moneys at my request.
    Good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kfog

Hi rai55,

Can I ask, did eircom refund your money or did you have to get it from the bank itself.
    I have had eircom take €300 from my account two months after leaving them, same situation as yours and now looks like I have to take time off work to go to the bank to get it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

kfog wrote: »
    Hi rai55,

Can I ask, did eircom refund your money or did you have to get it from the bank itself.
    I have had eircom take €300 from my account two months after leaving them, same situation as yours and now looks like I have to take time off work to go to the bank to get it back.
    Hi kfog, if you would like us to have this investigated just PM account details. I cannot promise we can change any decision already taken but we will help in any way we can. Tony

• Advertisement

Hi rai55,

Hi kfog,

i had to ask my bank as after call i made to eircom there was still promises only to take a look but no result. Even here on boards i had to ask again about update 7 days after my request. If you are close to 8 weeks - don't waste your time and ring your bank, you will get money back.

Hope that helps

ps - many thanks to dub45 for your advise

Hi rai55,

Hi kfog,

i had to ask my bank as after call i made to eircom there was still promises only to take a look but no result. Even here on boards i had to ask again about update 7 days after my request. If you are close to 8 weeks - don't waste your time and ring your bank, you will get money back.

Hope that helps

You are very welcome but this behaviour is a shocking reflection on both Eircom and the dd system itself. Eircom should be down on their hands and knees apologising for this totally unacceptable behaviour not "taking a look" - the dd system does not in any provide for this type of debit but there is no accountability whatsoever in the enforcement of the rules of the dd scheme in Ireland. 

Have you made sure to cancel your dd mandate with your bank?  You should also make a formal complaint to your bank about Eircom's behaviour.  I know all of this takes time but that is what the companies rely on - that nobody will bother to complain.

Hi rai55,

Had you cancelled your dd mandate? Also did Eircom give you any notice of this proposed debit? There seems to be something seriously wrong with Eircom's billing system with the frequency of these type of posts - it truly is disgraceful behaviour on Eircom's part. 

dub45 wrote: »
    Hi rai55,

Hi kfog,

Hope that helps

You are very welcome but this behaviour is a shocking reflection on both Eircom and the dd system itself. Eircom should be down on their hands and knees apologising for this totally unacceptable behaviour not "taking a look" - the dd system does not in any provide for this type of debit but there is no accountability whatsoever in the enforcement of the rules of the dd scheme in Ireland. 

Have you made sure to cancel your dd mandate with your bank?  You should also make a formal complaint to your bank about Eircom's behaviour.  I know all of this takes time but that is what the companies rely on - that nobody will bother to complain.
    Dear dub45, i cancelled dd straight away but that's bit too late than i should do. I think dd seems to be one way ticket and most of consumers are not aware of their rights, including me. The attitude from the eircom seems to be relaxed - let's try this scam and see what happens next. In my case not a single movement been done until i sorted issues myself, then representative could state than all is done. Not sure what would be story 8 weeks post dd fact.
    Thank you again for your advise
    Rai

Yes unfortunately the dd scheme leaves bill payers' accounts wide open - there is no upfront protection under the scheme as you found out. Getting back what should not have been taken in the first place is not "protection".  And no matter how badly companies behave there are no consequences for them whatsoever whereas they are only too ready to dump fees on the bill payer.

After eight weeks the bank carries out an investigation! Prior to that the refund is on a no questions asked basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

I'd be so financially screwed if I was out over 300 quid for any length of time, I cancelled all my direct debit arrangements ages ago and only deal in cash transferrals of my own making now. It means that I can budget more easily.

Chloris wrote: »
    I'd be so financially screwed if I was out over 300 quid for any length of time, I cancelled all my direct debit arrangements ages ago and only deal in cash transferrals of my own making now. It means that I can budget more easily.
    Indeed. Imagine being in a restaurant about to pay a bill only to find out your account had been cleaned out that day or simply being left without any money over a weekend or being away on holidays or........................it doesnt seem to cost either the companies or the banks a thought that they can leave people in awful positions due to the woeful inadequacies of the dd scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kfog

Hi rai55,

Hi kfog, if you would like us to have this investigated just PM account details. I cannot promise we can change any decision already taken but we will help in any way we can. Tony
    Hi Tony,

Thanks for the offer but i have gotten the money back from my bank after following the advice from rai55 here.

Thanks rai55

Hi rai55,

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the offer but i have gotten the money back from my bank after following the advice from rai55 here.

Thanks rai55
    Hi kfog

If there is anything we can help in future with please let us know

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement