Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a new online multiplayer game

Options
  • 19-04-2015 7:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some suggestions for a good fun accessible multiplayer game where the community is not comprised of mostly 13 year olds playing for eight hours a day and abusing new players. Tried to play CS:GO with my stepson but I could tell after the first week that it requires a huge amount of practice to be able to play competitive mode and I could feel myself getting sucked into it a bit too much where as I am just looking for something to play for maybe an hour in the evenings and a few hours at the weekend

In the past played a ot of quake2 and quake3 ctf and dm years ago, a bit of RTS as well and some FIFA along the way. Stuck on PC these days though so not much of a FIFA community going on so looking for a good FPS or a RTS where I can hop in and enjoy myself without feeling the need to study videos of dust2 tactics. I don't mind the need to improve myself at the game but there just seems to be a lack of a learning curve with a lot of the popular games around at the moment, everyone is expected to be amazing from day one.

Anyway any suggestions would be mucho appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

Warthunder

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Looks fun Patser, will I be shelling out the cash for all those DLC packs in the future?

Any videos / tutorials you would recommend before I start playing the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

It's not an FPS or RTS but have you tried or considered something like Diablo3?

It's a lot of fun and would be great to play with your stepson. There's a great sense of progression with your character and it's something you can play for 10 minutes or sink hours and hours into per session. You can play it solo, in a party of just 2 or you can jump into public games with other players.

It's relatively easy to learn once you know the basics but it can be quite deep if you get into it and start investing in competitive builds for the end game content (greater rifts).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Why not Portal 2 coop and the nifty map editor?

Bad Company 2 is still a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It's not to everyone s taste, but plants vs zombies - garden warfare is a lot of fun. Deep enough that there's strategy involved but not so much that you need to put in 50 hours to be handy.should be dirt cheap by now too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Awkward Customer

+1 for Warthunder don't play it much but it's been nice to hop into for an hour or two once in a while over the last year. You could easily play without ever paying but "progression" is really slow. My advice would be to try enjoy the planes and tier you have and try not get sucked into the idea that you have to have the next upgrade now. For example triplanes are still amongst my favourites. Have yet to fly any jets.

On the CS side of things after hundreds and hundreds of hours from 1.6 to GO I finally got fed up of it last year. All my favourite servers are gone replaced with idle servers and Competitive just became less and less enjoyable to me as your team mates are spending more time at each others throats than trying to play together.

If you're looking for a replacement shooter you could try out Insurgency. Smaller community alright deffo friendlier though. The gunplay is nicer and doesn't require as much skill as CS.
    It also has such a huge range of modes that you're guaranteed to find one that you'll like. He'll even coop against the Ai is viable and fun. For the same price as CS Go I think it'd be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Cheers for all of the ideas

Never even considered Diablo 3 but will give it a bash

Insurgency sounds interesting as well

Played through Portal 2 twice now, incredible game.

I remember counterstrike years ago just being a lot more fun as an experience, I couldn't get over the genuine nastiness of people who are probably only teenagers playing in the competitive mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

crybaby wrote: »
    Just looking for some suggestions for a good fun accessible multiplayer game where the community is not comprised of mostly 13 year olds playing for eight hours a day and abusing new players. Tried to play CS:GO with my stepson but I could tell after the first week that it requires a huge amount of practice to be able to play competitive mode and I could feel myself getting sucked into it a bit too much where as I am just looking for something to play for maybe an hour in the evenings and a few hours at the weekend

In the past played a ot of quake2 and quake3 ctf and dm years ago, a bit of RTS as well and some FIFA along the way. Stuck on PC these days though so not much of a FIFA community going on so looking for a good FPS or a RTS where I can hop in and enjoy myself without feeling the need to study videos of dust2 tactics. I don't mind the need to improve myself at the game but there just seems to be a lack of a learning curve with a lot of the popular games around at the moment, everyone is expected to be amazing from day one.

Anyway any suggestions would be mucho appreciated

Have you tried CS:go arms race mode? Its way more casual and a lot of fun, plus you get practise with all the weapons in game.

I am one of those ageing gamers too, that gets destroyed by youth online and I a found gun arms mode to be perfect. I even win or place top 3 in good few times!

Other one is World of Tanks. Its easy to get in to, but its very hard to master. Best thing is, it does not rely on your snapshots and foam in your mouth reflexes. Its all about tactical use of your armour, position, shots etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Titanfall. I've been playing this casually for a year now, and I still find myself dropping in every week or two for a few rounds. For me it has solved the problem of how to make a competitive online multiplayer game more welcoming and accessible, not just the domain of those who put in dozens of hours a week. The game has many systems that reward all players in a match, whether that's somebody who is performing extremely well or another player who is struggling. Little things like the AI grunts mean there's always cannon fodder around if you're outmatched by the human players, ensuring your glorious titan will indeed fall. The smart gun is another excellent concession for those who might be less familiar with the rest of the game's arsenal. Losing brings its own unique pleasures: the frantic scramble for the escape vehicle at the end of the match means there's still fun to be had when you lose. Above all, its core mechanics - parkour movement, overpowered titans and fast-paced gameplay - are never less than hugely satisfying.

If you're looking for an accessible title that's easy to jump into every now and then, can't think of a better option. And all the DLC is free now, so it's extremely good value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

crybaby wrote: »
    Looks fun Patser, will I be shelling out the cash for all those DLC packs in the future?

Any videos / tutorials you would recommend before I start playing the game?

I've over 100 hours on it and haven't spent a penny. You go up tiers fairly quickly to start but by tier 3 things really slow down to a grind.

Catch is, I find the lower tiers the best fun. 30 lads in biplanes or little tanks, zipping around blasting everything is more fun than 10 experts spending 20 minutes climbing to get an altitude advantage in their hit and run FW190 or camper style sniping in their Tiger.

Tier 2 Spitfire vs Zero or Pz4 v T34 is the real fun.

Their site has a tonne of tutorial videos but with a PC just select mouse aim and dive in. You'll learn as you die and always remember your 1st kill.

• Advertisement

What about Garry's Mod? There's tonnes of separate multiplayer content on there!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RogerWilco1982

+1 with regards to Battlefield Bad Company 2. It's one of the best multiplayer experiences I've played, it will keep you interested and there are incentives to level up such as new guns etc. I found the tactics and feel take a map or two to learn, but there's a great spirit of camaraderie amongst teams, and a good headset will allow you to communicate with your squad for the purposes of planning tactics and banter.

If you want something to pick up and play I'd highly recommend Left 4 Dead 2, a 4 player co-op game in which you try and survive a 28 Days Later style of rabies apocalypse. It generally invokes a sense of team spirit in players and I've enjoyed many hours on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Is bad company 2 still active ? it was definitely my favourite battlefield experience. BF 3 and 4 werent as fun to me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

World of Tanks or Warthunder.

They're both free to play, they both have tiering so new players are somewhat buffered away from old vets, and they don't need lightning sharp reflexes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Spunge wrote: »
    Is bad company 2 still active ? it was definitely my favourite battlefield experience. BF 3 and 4 werent as fun to me.

There's plenty of active servers. I just couldn't do BF4, it was just awful.
    BC2 is far from perfect but it's a hell of a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Spunge wrote: »

It is, not as popular then new battlefield, for obvious reasons, but you still can find a game and play it. I completely abandoned BF4 and did not even bothered with hardline, just installed BC2 and loving it. Its just so much better game and guns feel like proper guns, not pee shooters. Still has the best M60 out of all games I ever played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I found BF4 a lot more fun than BF3, which I largely skipped after finding it very disappointing compared to BF2. Hardline is good craic as well, and new inventive game modes like Hotwire are great fun and don't really require much know-how or skill.

Left4Dead and Left4Dead 2 are amongst the ultimate casual drop-in drop-out multiplayer experiences I reckon. Brilliant co-op gameplay and just unbelievable fun.

Killing Floor is good in that regard as well.

Titanfall is also a good suggestion, very user-friendly game and suits all skill levels really.

Medieval FPS Chivalry is also well worth a look, very casual game and hilarious to play, getting kills in that game are the most satisfying you'll ever experience. Playing this with friends is a riot.

The free to play version of Battlefield 2 is pretty good as well.

Zombie Army Trilogy/Nazi Zombie Army are not FPS, third person shooter, but more or less a WW2-themed Left4Dead, also superb fun.

Not a huge RTS player but Relic's Dawn of War and Company of Heroes will always get my seal of approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

League of Legends ? You can play joining games as a pair in 5v5 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

team fortress 2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

You can play GTA5 in 1st person mode now and that's not exactly got a massive learning curve.

Advertisement