Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which cows milk?

Options
  • 19-04-2015 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

My little girl is 11 months old and I'm thinking of introducing cows milk in the next few weeks. I'm just wondering what type I should give her. I know to give whole milk rather than skimmed, but is there much advantage to the super milks? Are they worth the extra money? Also, I've heard switching to cows milk can lower the amount of iron, are there any milks with added iron or any tips to get more iron in her diet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

ncmc wrote: »
    My little girl is 11 months old and I'm thinking of introducing cows milk in the next few weeks. I'm just wondering what type I should give her. I know to give whole milk rather than skimmed, but is there much advantage to the super milks? Are they worth the extra money? Also, I've heard switching to cows milk can lower the amount of iron, are there any milks with added iron or any tips to get more iron in her diet?

I give whole super milk when I can get it but switch between that and regular. There is a dip in iron as there's iron in breastmilk/formula so obviously if those feeds are reduced, the iron intake does too. However at the same time, they get more iron from food so in theory, as long as your child has a healthy balanced diet there's no need for a supplement. most cereals are fortified with iron and porridge is a good source too. The usual meat, leafy greens as well as quinoa and lentils are good sources too.
    I choose super milk for the added vitb as we're vegetarian and that can be difficult to get from vegetable sources.

Advertisement