Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please on kitchen carcasses

Options
  • 19-04-2015 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I've done most of my homwork on my new kitchen and whittled the potential suppliers down to two: a Nobilia kitchen and a local independent manufacturer.

My feeling is to go with the indi guy, for several reasons but mostly because he seems to be more flexible in his design. There is just one issue I need advice on i.e. kitchen carcasses.

What questions should I be asking the potential suppliers about the carcasses, especiall what questions should I be asking the indi supplier as he makes his own carcasses. There seems to be a lot of information out there about cabinets but not really that much about the actual carcasse and to me that's what is holding it all together.

As always many thanks for your advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

What is your concept of carcasses. ? The introduction of the 180 degree hinge allowed makers to simply link a series of boxes together and use overlaid doors.
    The Yanks prefer a more traditional look, using a faceframe and cornice decoration. In truth you can use any sheet material you like as long as you are happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

the carcass should be 18 mm thick veneered MDF or chipboard, depends on what they use.
    MDF seems to be more consistent a product than chip, there is some real crap chipboard out there
    The indi quy should be able to offer u whatever interior colour u like for the presses, which looks very well, the other crowd may be just white.

Then there is how they are held together: screwed, dowelled, etc
    Finally some put a hardboard back in them, others use the full thickness carcass material

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Agreed. If you read about American kitchens they almost all use veneered ply. This is better than MDF as it allows longer shelf spans. Its not commonly available over here - unless somebody can correct me.
    I helped with one kitchen where the client wanted a birdseye maple look. We ordered sheets of 8x4 veneer from the US and veneered them on to MDF.
    With a bit of imagination, almost any look can be achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

kah22 wrote: »
    I've done most of my homwork on my new kitchen and whittled the potential suppliers down to two: a Nobilia kitchen and a local independent manufacturer.

My feeling is to go with the indi guy, for several reasons but mostly because he seems to be more flexible in his design. There is just one issue I need advice on i.e. kitchen carcasses.

What questions should I be asking the potential suppliers about the carcasses, especiall what questions should I be asking the indi supplier as he makes his own carcasses. There seems to be a lot of information out there about cabinets but not really that much about the actual carcasse and to me that's what is holding it all together.

As always many thanks for your advice.

Hi OP - I know it's an old thread now, but how did you get on with your decision? I'm in a similar position myself.

Kitchen turn out ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

Had a local architect who is into design draw me up a plan, he came up with a few ideas I had never thought of.

The Nobilia guy could only offer me what he had in stock, with a few modifications, the indi guy was prepared to work with me and his price was a little keener than the Nobilia man though that wasn't my main concern.

If I were to do it all again I'd have no hesitation going with the independent man.

But my main advice would be get someone, other than the kitchen supplier, who does design work to do a kitchen drawing for you; you'll be amazed what they can see what you'll not.

I paid my designer about 300 for three different drawings and a little follow up. It was money well spent

• Advertisement

The hardware has changed remarkably in the past ten years. Its all soft close drawers/doors and full extension runners now.This means that big drawers are back in fashion. The look is completely personal but if you are on a budget consider unpainted baltic birch ply.

Advertisement