Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some basic questions

Options
  • 19-04-2015 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭

Hi all - have browsed some of the threads and there's clearly a lot of expertise here so I'm hoping someone could help with a few very basic questions about my understanding of what a HTPC can do for me.

So, my current 'setup' (if it can be called that) is that I have a lot of media files on my desktop PC, and a Chromecast connected to my TV in another room. I have Plex on the PC and the associated app on my phone so i use that to stream media to the TV. Also use the phone to stream BBC iPlayer, Netflix etc to the TV though Chromecast.

Whilst this works pretty well there are a few issues. First is the need to have my desktop powered on all the time while streaming. Not a big issue but a small annoyance. Second, and more important, is patchy streaming - lags, freezes etc.

So what I want is to move to a solution wherein I have a device connected to the TV, and I can transfer media files over the network to local storage on this device to play.

So, the basic questions;
    - Is the HTPC basically made for this use case? Or are they more akin to streaming devices, like a more feature rich Chromecast?
    - If so, with something like OpenELEC or OSMC, is playback hassle free? Are there issues with how files are encoded etc?
    - How have people fared with using Raspberry Pi for it? Is it quick, smooth etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

So what I want is to move to a solution wherein I have a device connected to the TV, and I can transfer media files over the network to local storage on this device to play.

Why have two lots of storage?

Set up one network-connected storage device and store and stream from that.

.... or maybe I am misinterpreting ....

Advertisement