Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

6-5 (retired hurt)....

Seriously though, as mentioned above, pretty sure 6-5 is a legitimate Real Tennis score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Is this scoring only possible in "Real Tennis"

I see the only courts built here are either being restored or unplayable at present.

Well done - that's nailed it. The question was indeed referring to Real Tennis as opposed to the derivative Lawn tennis.

There are only two locations remaining that retain sufficient of the original structure to make restoration of a real tennis court feasible. The more viable of these (currently being used as a gallery of the Irish Museum of Modern Art) is located on Earlsfort Terrace beside the NCH. During most of the period of UCD's tenancy the building was used as the University gymnasium.

The other location is on Lambay Island!

Over to you PS.

Wexfordian wrote: »
    6-5 (retired hurt)....

Seriously though, as mentioned above, pretty sure 6-5 is a legitimate Real Tennis score.

Our posts crossed. Well done nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Ok then, nicknames of what?

The Thin Man failed. After the Little Boy didn't ,The Fat Man took over. Then Kuska's Mother had the last word in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Ok then, nicknames of what?

The Thin Man failed. After the Little Boy didn't ,The Fat Man took over. Then Kuska's Mother had the last word in a big way.

First three, I think are codenames for atomic / nuclear bombs. Not familiar with Kuska's Mother though! Was it a Soviet Union bomb?

• Advertisement

Well that didn't last long,
    Fair Play Brens,

the Thin Man , early us effort,
    the Little Boy - Hiroshima
    The Fat Man - Nagasaki
    Kuska's Mother - the Tzar bomb, even at only half capacity, the largest ever by some distance.

Oh, I was only 50% confident about that answer! Caught on the hop, without a question ready!

OK, I'm not 100% sure of this and may have to retract later - if so, apologies in advance - but most animals have "opposing teeth", i.e. the top set contacts the lower set. There is an animal, with both a top and bottom set of teeth, which do not contact each other at all, or certainly not in any usual manner. Their lower set is at the front of their mouths but the upper set is way back inside their mouths. Sounds inconvenient? Maybe, but it's not a handicap or a deformity - it's evolution doing a great job. What is the animal?

A hen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is it a snake, I have vague notions of some animal spearing food then working it down its gullet with the lower mandible.

garancafan wrote: »
    A hen?
    looksee wrote: »
    Is it a snake

No, neither, although you may both be correct - I don't know a lot about hen's teeth (do they have any?) or snake's teeth. This is a mammal and, to my eyes at least, a rather elegant and gentle animal.

• Advertisement

I peeked, just to make sure that the question was correct. It is, although I still can't promise that this is the only mammal with "odd" sets of teeth.

I'm off for some more poking and prodding at the hostible tomorrow. Their wi-fi is hopeless so I hope you can forgive a lack or response from me until (fingers crossed) tomorrow night?

I am going to have a guess with whales.
    Namely those that sieve/filter the water for their food, (krill ,plankton or whatever) . I am just guessing as they don't have a need for a bite action, non Opposing teeth would make for a better sieve. Whale shark would be similar I would imagine (although a fish).
    I would also put them in the elegant and gentle category.

All the best today btw.

Likewise, hope they don't prod too much!

I carelessly read the question and jumped to the conclusion it was the upper jaw that protruded. As teacher said ad nauseam, READ THE QUESTION! But I still don't know, I reckon PS might be on the right lines.

I am going to have a guess with whales

Thanks for good wishes - just changed prescription from "industrial / veterinary" to "superhero."

No, not whales. I believe that, because there are so many models of whales, they have a similarly wide range of dental arrangements, while the nine species of the animal I have in mind have no such range.

However, he may look and feel very strange doing so, but the animal can swim!

A hint? This won't help a lot: The male is called a bull, the female a cow and guess what the young are called? Yes, calves so, of course it is a herbivore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Walrus ?

No, not walrus. Not sure if a walrus would be greatly impressed with a solely vegetarian diet.

....jumped to the conclusion it was the upper jaw that protruded.

Looking at this animals face, I doubt if you would think that either jaw protrudes. When he opens his mouth, his lower set is very visible but his upper lip conceals the lack of teeth in the front of his upper jaw. But it is a soft, kindly sort of face.

I'm off to the midlands tomorrow, on missionary work you understand, so I will reveal all later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Giraffe?

I was wondering about giraffe myself, but I have never seen one swim!

Samaris wrote: »
    Giraffe?
    I was wondering about giraffe myself, but I have never seen one swim!

Correct, Samaris. It is a giraffe! An extraordinary food gathering and eating machine, involving his lips, tongue and displaced sets of teeth.
    This topic came up when we brought the kids to a safari park. Before going in, our kids heard other kids saying that a giraffe had stuck his head into their car and stole their ice creams. "It's OK", said the Warden. "They can't bite!" He explained about the teeth but I thought maybe it was just plamas (forget how to do fadas) to calm the kids.

353010.jpg

• Advertisement

BrensBenz wrote: »
    ...a giraffe had stuck his head into their car and stole their ice creams...

An SUV presumably.
    BrensBenz wrote: »
    ... (forget how to do fadas)...

ALT GR (just to the right of the space-bar) + vowel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

garancafan wrote: »

ALT GR (just to the right of the space-bar) + vowel

Wow! Thanks for that tip, never knew that one. :)

Huh as regards the tooth structure! Giraffes are beautiful creatures though.

Hm..what are or were these things used for?
    $_35.JPG

Hm, I would chance woodworking mallets but the bottom one doesn't look quite right, ok, I'll throw it in as a possibility

(if they are flippin musical instruments I will be very aggravated...)

They are neither maracas nor woodworking mallets, nope! :D I grant the bottom one is a rather weird version of the thing though, but apparently it is a Thing.

They wouldn't be for darning socks would they?

Indeed they are, Jellybaby!

The bottom mushroom in particular looks a bit awkward for it all, but apparently it was one. You're up!

:eek: Need time to get a question. Back asap.

Ok, no peeking this time either. According to the Chinese New Year Calendar (which I found online), what year are we in now? You are allowed to argue with the answer I have if you really must, as I didn't really know it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I think its the Year of the Dog ?

Nope! Not the Dog.

Gark, I knew this. Is it the year of the rabbit?

Nope! Not according to my 'research'! :)

Pig? (we can just work through them!)

Nope! Not a piggy. Yeah, work away, wonder who will actually get it though? Its a race to the finish. The tension is mounting now.....

• Advertisement

Rat? :D I think horse was last year..

Nope! Not Ratty-Rat either. Tee-hee, tee-hee! :D

Can't think of any more...bird maybe - duck?

Year of the duck doesn't really sound right.

Ox - yes there is an ox in the list I think.

Ah, lol, just looked it up!

edit: ah, two possible answers

Horse? Just in case..

• Advertisement

Nope! Not a horsey either! Looksee has been disqualified for peeking. :P

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Nope! Not a horsey either! Looksee has been disqualified for peeking. :P

Huh!! I disqualified myself already :pac:

Huh!! I disqualified myself already :pac:

:rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Goat?

Well, FrKurtFahrt, I do believe I can accept Goat, as I believe it is...

The Year of the Sheep/Goat/Ram

according to my 'research'. You're up. Gizza question please.

Well, FrKurtFahrt, I do believe I can accept Goat, as I believe it is...

The Year of the Sheep/Goat/Ram

according to my 'research'. You're up. Gizza question please.

Ok, thank you. (I was in China last year, and was born in the year of the goat)

Where in Tuscany was Leonardo Da Vinci born?

I won't go for the obvious one, 'cos I'm contrary like that. I will guess Lucca.

I won't go for the obvious one, 'cos I'm contrary like that. I will guess Lucca.

Nope

Aw flump! :(

Aw flump! :(

Language!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement