Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Goat?
    /Ear pick up
    Where in Tuscany was Leonardo Da Vinci born?
    Firenze. After countless hours playing Assassins Creed on the playstation I learned this.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

OldGoat wrote: »
    /Ear pick up

Firenze. After countless hours playing Assassins Creed on the playstation I learned this.

I'm afraid Assassins Creed has mislead you. Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

/Ear pick up

Video games lie. No wonder the nation's children are illiterate! :D

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Video games lie.
    The cake is a lie*.

I'm going back to punch trees in Minecraft till my faith in video games is restored.

*Nerdish gamer meme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Vinci. He is Leonard of Vinci.

See all this travelling I do comes in handy sometimes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Layinghen wrote: »
    Vinci. He is Leonard of Vinci.

See all this travelling I do comes in handy sometimes:)

Well done. 'da' = 'from'. I always liked that question.

Right so, which Beatle was given the middle name Paul?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

...After countless hours playing Assassins Creed on the playstation I learned this.

Fascinating bit of etymology to the word "assassin".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Layinghen wrote: »
    Right so, which Beatle was given the middle name Paul?

James Paul McCartney.

• Advertisement

Correct. Over to you.

Hmm...

The Latin alphabet took over from the Anglo-Saxon alphabet (a system of runes), brought by Christian missionaries. Their alphabet included some older terms, such as the thorn (th, written as y, as in "ye olde") and wynn (uu, and eventually w) which faded out over time. Even as late as the 1800s, children used to sing the alphabet song with one important addition. Anyone know what it was?

It's that weird AE combination thingy called "aesc" (ash). Æ

It's that weird AE combination thingy called "aesc" (ash). Æ

Æ was briefly the 29th letter of the alphabet around the 1100s, before w and j were added. ⁊ Ƿ Þ Ð Æ were included, but all of them fell out before the one that was still sung in the 1800s by schoolchildren. Although they managed to change what the word was in the song, creating a usage that follows to today. So good one, but no cigar this time!

Samaris wrote: »
    Although they managed to change what the word was in the song, creating a usage that follows to today.
    Oooh thats interesting. As all the letters in the song are designated then it must be the 'and' between from "...X, Y and Z". Ampersand?

No, wait! Is it the double u, as in uu rather than w? No idea what it's called.

• Advertisement

Oooh thats interesting. As all the letters in the song are designated then it must be the 'and' between from "...X, Y and Z". Ampersand?

Indeed so! And children used to sing 'X, Y, Z and per se "and"' rather than "Y, Y, Z, and". Per se refers to "by itself", but, so the idea goes, "and-per-se-and" was mutated into the "ampersand". The shape of the ampersand itself is the French word "et", and in some stylised versions, you can see how it arose.

I'm not absolutely convinced of this yarn, but eh, it's as probable as anything else :D

Edit: Just saw your bit about the uu :D That was once a "wynn", and was a modified Old English futhorc rune. It became "uu" and that was eventually rammed together as w, still called the "double-u". Which was really rather unimaginative of us...

I'm still claiming a win for ampersand. :)

The first British international motor race was held in Ireland way back in 1903. This was because the laws governing motor racing were slightly more flexible here. It was won by a German (Camille Jenatzy) in a Mercedes. The race series still exists today. Who was the American press baron that started the race series?

I'm still claiming a win for ampersand. :)

The first British international motor race was held in Ireland way back in 1903. This was because the laws governing motor racing were slightly more flexible here. It was won by a German (Camille Jenatzy) in a Mercedes. The race series still exists today. Who was the American press baron that started the race series?

Oh ...uh...yikes. Uhm, Rockefeller?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Cor Blimey.....Gordon Bennett.....these questions aw awd, innih.

"Won in a Mercedes", slopes off with a smug gob on me, heading for the Curragh of Kildare, but you can follow me up to Carlow!

It was indeed James Gordon Bennett and the annual historic rally still carries his name.
    http://www.gordonbennettclassic.ie/

• Advertisement

We of a certain age will remember "The Lone Ranger" as portrayed by Clayton Moore; his faithful companion Tonto (or "Tonno", according to Clayton Moore) portrayed by Jay Silverheels and, probably the better actors of the cast, Silver and Scout, their trusty steeds.

Now, far be it from me to make derogatory remarks about Hollyhood but did you ever feel it strange that, in a country where, at that time, the KKK was rampant and segregation was institutionalised and legal, an all-white superhero could possibly have a non-white faithful companion?

Call me a grumpy old cynic (everybody else does) but I can't help thinking that the WASPs of Hollywood just couldn't live with this idea and, in creating the two-legged characters, made a hidden statement about white supremacy.

Is this waffle too complex? Clues later, if required.

I have to admit, I'm a little confused as to what the question is!

I have to admit, I'm a little confused as to what the question is!

Yes, keep forgetting that this isn't AH.

OK, courage in both hands: There IS a derogatory flavour in the naming of either the Lone Ranger or Tonto. Unlikely to be the all-white, all-Merkin Lone Ranger - more likely to be something to do with the naming of Tonno I mean Tonto. What could it be?

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Yes, keep forgetting that this isn't AH.

OK, courage in both hands: There IS a derogatory flavour in the naming of either the Lone Ranger or Tonto. Unlikely to be the all-white, all-Merkin Lone Ranger - more likely to be something to do with the naming of Tonno I mean Tonto. What could it be?

Ah! *Lightbulb moment* Doesn't the word mean "idiot" (or something moderately derogatory) either in a Native American language or perhaps Spanish, given the Mexican border.

Ah! *Lightbulb moment* Doesn't the word mean "idiot" (or something moderately derogatory) either in a Native American language or perhaps Spanish, given the Mexican border.

Correctamente! "Village Idiot" in eSpanish and, since The Lone Ranger was a "Texas" ranger, i.e. next door to Mexico, I'm fairly sure he would have known that.

You're up!

Two rivers flow side by side for over a thousand miles, usually within a meander of each other, but never meet. What two rivers are these?

Two rivers flow side by side for over a thousand miles, usually within a meander of each other, but never meet. What two rivers are these?

Wild guess! I'm aware of two major rivers, both with sources in Tibet, but which spend most of their time in China, which might meet the criteria. Of course, I can't recall their names because I'm old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Tigris and Euphrates

(I assume these are rivers, it was the first pair of names that popped into my head)

oops just read the question with the vital bits about Tibet and China. No idea

looksee wrote: »
    Tigris and Euphrates

(I assume these are rivers, it was the first pair of names that popped into my head)

oops just read the question with the vital bits about Tibet and China. No idea

Nope, you're right!

Huh I thought they were in mesopotamia (dredges memory for words learned at school). Will have a check on this, obviously i was under a misapprehension about where mesopotamia was

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Huh I thought they were in mesopotamia (dredges memory for words learned at school). Will have a check on this, obviously i was under a misapprehension about where mesopotamia was

It was Brens that spoke of Tibet and China, not me :D Yes, Mesopotamia is between the rivers.

Oh right, *looks embarrassed*

Of which book is this the first sentence:

'There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.'

Ooh, The Silver Chair, Narnia.

Nope

Drat. Voyage of the Dawntreader then?

Edit: Herp derp, it was Voyage, he was Useless until he got stuck briefly as a dragon.

That's it!

What were the first living things to go into space -and come back alive-?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭the block

Dogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭the block

Fruit flies

the block wrote: »
    Dogs

..Drat, I meant to ask for their names, but that was my bad phrasing!

Yep, Belka and Strelka, accompanied by forty mice and two rats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

..Drat, I meant to ask for their names, but that was my bad phrasing!

Yep, Belka and Strelka, accompanied by forty mice and two rats.
    and half a million fleas

Rubecula wrote: »
    and half a million fleas

Do we have to name the fleas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

if you can.... lol

Rubecula wrote: »
    if you can.... lol

Itchie
    Scratchie
    Rashie
    Gnatser
    Hives
    Bitey
    Lousy
    Knasher
    Dracula
    Swatter Dodger
    Mozzie
    Jumpie
    Hopper

Is that half a million yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭IrishB.ie

They were George Foreman's, so they were
    George Jr
    George III
    George IV
    George V
    George VI
    etc, etc, etc :D

Sadly, at least three fleas did not survive the journey. Jeffrey, Tod, and Bloodsucker will be missed.

Given it's been a couple of days, I'll ask another :P

Can anyone remember a children's TV show from the '60s-70s that had the announcer 'Auntie Jean' and friends Katie Kookaburra, Willie Wombat, and Ermintrude Emu?

Can anyone remember a children's TV show from the '60s-70s that had the announcer 'Auntie Jean' and friends Katie Kookaburra, Willie Wombat, and Ermintrude Emu?

Yih, Cobba, that was Tingha and Tucker. Still can't beat Torchy Torchy the Battery Boy.

Yih, Cobba, that was Tingha and Tucker. Still can't beat Torchy Torchy the Battery Boy.

Indeed it was and over to you! :D

Meteorologists tell us that clouds are made up of tiny drops, particles or crystals, mostly of water, floating in the atmosphere. To save time, they decided to pick one word to describe these drops, particles and crystals. However, these days, their choice of word sounds a little strange - well, it sounded strange to us when we were learning basic meteorology for sailing. What is the word?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement