Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Well done FrKurtFahrt, 1929 is correct! Your turn to give us a question.

Thank you

What was the first man-made object to break the sound barrier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm thinking something spacey (but not Kevin :D). Toying with suggesting the 'ould Sputnik or Telestar yokes but something later than them. Concorde is maybe too late. No idea. Betcha Brens or Rube would know that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

whip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Rubecula wrote: »
    whip

Drat and double drat! You got there while I was just resting my eyes!
    The tip of a whip breaks the sound barrier.

What did SS cars change their name to?

• Advertisement

What did SS cars change their name to?

Did you mean the Chevrolet SS concept car or the original name for Jaaaaaaaggggggssssssss?

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Did you mean the Chevrolet SS concept car or the original name for Jaaaaaaaggggggssssssss?

Was it too easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

whip

Correct! Well done

A whip? A WHIP? So not spacey after all. Drat! Hmm how come Brens and Rube are well acquainted with whips then? Don't answer that!

So, Rubes got "whip", then I got Jags so it's my turn?

OK, a two-part question about ladybirds:
    Why "lady"?
    Why "bird"?

Yes, I know that Yanks call them ladybugs, but "we" don't!

• Advertisement

So, Rubes got "whip", then I got Jags so it's my turn?

OK, a two-part question about ladybirds:
    Why "lady"?
    Why "bird"?

Yes, I know that Yanks call them ladybugs, but "we" don't!

Janey Mac, the silence is deafening. Would it help if you knew that the German for ladybird is "Marienkäfer" and that "käfer" is "beetle"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Ah, Marian! It's the Lady's Bird, the scarlet referring to the cloak that Mary used to be shown wearing in ..I dunno what period, Renaissance or pre-renaissance. Oh, and the spots! The spots refer to the seven sorrows/seven joys.

I'm not sure about why "bird" precisely though.

Samaris wrote: »
    Ah, Marian! It's the Lady's Bird, the scarlet referring to the cloak that Mary used to be shown wearing in ..I dunno what period, Renaissance or pre-renaissance. Oh, and the spots! The spots refer to the seven sorrows/seven joys.

OK, you're on your way. But why is it named after Mary? And why is it a "bird" rather than a beetle or bug?

Well, the naming after Mary I think is to do with the scarlet and the spots (the red cloak and the seven sorrows/joys). Bird...I don't know about that unless it's either some sort of corruption of "bride" or else maybe bird being used as a generic term, like bug. Neither of those sound like hugely likely wotsits of inquiry though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Interesting! I was not aware of any connection between Mary and red cloaks though? Not that I am a Marian scholar by any means!

I always thought blue was Mary's colour, but that's from looking at art. No-one really knows what colour she wore.

You know, I've been thinking about this all night (medication takes a while to kick in) and I think I probably should withdraw this question.

The actual answer in my head is from an ancient English legend from a time when all events had religious connotations, particularly among farmers and fishermen. They would pray to certain saints for a good crop or catch. According to the legend, fado fado, just before their crops were ready for harvest, swarms of aphids arrived. There was a danger that the entire crop would be lost - it had happened before - and, on those occasions, the saints did not deliver the desired result. Panic spread through the villages and they decided to pray to Mary this time. Well, next morning, swarms of ladybirds had arrived and were munching on the aphids. The crops were saved!

In return for this, the locals renamed "that red beetle" the "lady" beetle. But, somehow, the "beetle" part didn't seem appropriate so they called it a "bird" instead. So the ladybird was born and that name spread throughout the country and even into mainland Europe - hence Marienkäfer and similar names around Europe.

Of course, this is pure legend, as is the dark spots representing sorrows. The ladybird in its current livery was living, probably for millions of years before Mary. Aphids and ladybirds arrive at more or less the same time every year, whether prayed for or not, and aphids are the ladybirds' favourite food.

And I think the change of colour of Mary's cloak from "Mother Mary blue" to red had more to do with the cost of paints than anything else. The artist would use the most expensive paints on the most important subjects. Interestingly, the statues of Mary in most of the churches I've visited (admittedly not very many) had blue rather than red cloaks or shawls.

This legend is only one of many similar but subtly different legends, all unprovable, so there is no definitive answer and therefore I shouldn't have set the question before checking other possibilities.

I'll come quietly - no need for cuffs - top of the world, ma!

Will I set another question or should I cower on the naughty step for a while?

Janey Mac, the silence is deafening. Would it help if you knew that the German for ladybird is "Marienkäfer" and that "käfer" is "beetle"?

Well after your clue, Samaris seemed to be on top of it. Fight it out between yiz!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MsGiggles

I have just learned so much !!!!!

I'm sure we all have! :D Feel free to jump in when we get another question!

• Advertisement

Oh, that's interesting about the aphids etc! I knew the Mary connection, but I was still fairly far out - ask us another and we'll have another shot, Brens :D

...ask us another and we'll have another shot, Brens :D

OK, a question with just one answer....but beware - it's a little sneaky!

What was the world's first airline called?

The bewk that told me this fact included the words "...first airline in revenue service" which, I assume means fares were charged, profits were made, etc. However, the sneaky bit is not there.

OK, a question with just one answer....but beware - it's a little sneaky!

What was the world's first airline called?

The bewk that told me this fact included the words "...first airline in revenue service" which, I assume means fares were charged, profits were made, etc. However, the sneaky bit is not there.
    Your going to tell me its not KLM right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Montgolfier Air - French balloonatics. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

MsGiggles wrote: »
    I have just learned so much !!!!!

Well, not really. We make this stuff up as we go along so that passers-by will think "oh, how clever these oulwans and oulfellas are."

The really important questions, like "Why are we here; What is art; Where (and why) are the teabags hidden", etc. will never be answered here.

Well, not really. We make this stuff up as we go along so that passers-by will think "oh, how clever these oulwans and oulfellas are."

The really important questions, like "Why are we here; What is art; Where (and why) are the teabags hidden", etc. will never be answered here.
    Hilarious, I forgot this was Oulwans 'n' Oulfellas! Is there an age limit....! Do I have to leave !!!!:(

Your going to tell me its not KLM right ?

Right. It's not KLM. They are the oldest still in operation but not the first.
    OldGoat wrote: »
    Montgolfier Air - French balloonatics. :)

No, but not too far out! The problem with Mongolfier Air was that they knew the departure point but could only guess the destination. The market was not terribly impressed with these mystery tours.

Tony Jannus in his Benoist airplane with his ONE paying passenger !

St. Petersburg-Tampa Air Line

No, but not too far out!

AHA! Zeppelin Air - German explosive helium balloonatics.

• Advertisement

Tony Jannus in his Benoist airplane with his ONE paying passenger !

St. Petersburg-Tampa Air Line

Very close but the first company was offering regular scheduled flights for profit in 1909 while Jannus first tried it in 1914 or so.

AHA! Zeppelin Air - German explosive helium balloonatics.

Oh so, so close - I think it's fair to give you the laurels.

The company was DELAG, operating "Zeppelin" airships until the Hindenburg crashed in 1937. They folded in 1940.

Woop! Not bad for a throwaway joke-ish reply. :)

OK, The subject is taste. There are deemed to be 5 basic tastes, numerous others one but 5 basic ones. Simply name them.

Sweet, sour , salt , bitter ??? Right track

Sweet, sour , salt , bitter ??? Right track

Yeah, it's the "other" one that always slips my mind. I think it's a Japanese word but it's not Honda or Sony!

By the way am I OK to be here !

• Advertisement

Yep, that's four of the 5 basics. The fifth one is a Japanese word. :)

No worries MsGiggles. |O&O is about a state of mind rather than age of body. :) However you may have to forgive us ldfolk when we go on and on and on about inconsequential stuff that happened back in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Mrs Mcgiggles, Everyone is totally welcome in O&O provided they don't fight with the oul'uns and do give us the (considerable) respect we undoubtedly deserve.

By the way am I OK to be here !

Psst, I'm a sprog too, just make a comment every so often that implies you recall the Sixties and you'll be fine /innocent cough

And argh, I know this one. It's a ..it's on the tip of my tongue. >.>

Yep, that's four of the 5 basics. The fifth one is a Japanese word. :)

No worries MsGiggles. |O&O is about a state of mind rather than age of body. :) However you may have to forgive us ldfolk when we go on and on and on about inconsequential stuff that happened back in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Great, I will learn loads ! I am 32 just so everyone knows......and I know the other sense has an AM in it and I just can't think and GOOGLE IS CHEATING......!!

It's a ..it's on the tip of my tongue. >.>
    BaDum tish!

• Advertisement

UMAMI!

It fell off. :D

But 1/5 compared to MsGiggles 4/5, so I reckon she gets the next question!

UMAMI!

It fell off. :D

But 1/5 compared to MsGiggles 4/5, so I reckon she gets the next question!

Oooo the excitement, my first question ! I learned this fact the other day from my cute old neighbour down the road !

What does an oologist study?

They study oo's!

*cough*

Sounds like it might be eggs?

They study oo's!

*cough*

Sounds like it might be eggs?

Correct Samaris - I am now officially gutted that my question was so easy LOL

It is indeed umami, a 'meaty' taste made by glutamic acids - the glutamic that appears in MSG in yer local takeaway. :)

I was in Dylan Morans new restaurant last week, called Taste at Rustic and the menu is Japanese influenced with heavy flavour action going on. The missus and I were giggling like a schoolgirls at each mouth-full. Not the best restaurant I've ever eaten in but defiantly one of the most memorable meals I've ever had. I thoroughly recommend it.

Correct Samaris - I am now officially gutted that my question was so easy LOL

Hehe, don't be! I did a lot of biology in uni.

1E is currently $1.11
    1E is currently AU$1.47

How many American dollars would you get for AU$520, taking into account a 10% transaction charge on the final amount?

1E is currently $1.11
    1E is currently AU$1.47

How many American dollars would you get for AU$520?
    Before or after transaction charges? :D

1E is currently $1.11
    1E is currently AU$1.47

How many American dollars would you get for AU$520?

That ain't going to happen in my head any time soon :eek:

Before or after transaction charges? :D

Hah, I shall be mean then. They're going to take 10% off your final amount as a transaction charge, so how much do you have afterwards? (I'll edit the question)

Sheesh, I wouldn't be doing my money changing there anyway at that price!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement