Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

KayPea wrote: »
    Hey Brens, You are on the right track - Deodand translates as "Gift to God", but not a sacrifice...

Hmmmm, "not a sacrifice!"
    A tribute? No, that's sort of customary and mandatory.
    A penance or a fine, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭KayPea

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Hmmmm, "not a sacrifice!"
    A tribute? No, that's sort of customary and mandatory.
    A penance or a fine, maybe?

I'll accept that brens! A deodand is medieval forfeit to the king of the instrument of a murder or death. It was usually confiscated by the coroner/crowner. It could be the horse that trampled someone, a knife that stabbed, a rock that was thrown. The deodand was often offered to the family of the deceased as part or all of compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Something that the law takes off you if it has caused a death.

A deodand is medieval forfeit to the king of the instrument of a murder or death. It was usually confiscated by the coroner/crowner. It could be the horse that trampled someone, a knife that stabbed, a rock that was thrown. The deodand was often offered to the family of the deceased as part or all of compensation.

Hmmm. "Deo..." = "forfeit to the king"??? Shouldn't it be "Rexand"? I knew there was a reason I'm not a monarchist!

Anyway, in a similar vein, (ahem....big heads) I've given up asking how women's dress sizes are calculated but how are hat sizes measured? Yeah, yeah, I know! You use a tape to measure the circumference of your head. Typically, you'll get somewhere around 21 or 22 or even 23 inches or the equivalent in cms. But if you ask for a 22inch hat, you will be mocked mercilessly for a very long time. Where did the 71/4, 71/2 etc. come from?

PS: I'm off to assist medical science again tomorrow so apologies in advance for any delay with my replies.

Hmmm. "Deo..." = "forfeit to the king"??? Shouldn't it be "Rexand"? I knew there was a reason I'm not a monarchist!

Anyway, in a similar vein, (ahem....big heads) I've given up asking how women's dress sizes are calculated but how are hat sizes measured? Yeah, yeah, I know! You use a tape to measure the circumference of your head. Typically, you'll get somewhere around 21 or 22 or even 23 inches or the equivalent in cms. But if you ask for a 22inch hat, you will be mocked mercilessly for a very long time. Where did the 71/4, 71/2 etc. come from?
    Kings and queens through history have often confused royal and divine. Maybe it comes from no one saying no to them.

As to hats I am puzzled. If it is as complicated as shoe sizing, I shudder to think. It can't be barleycorns because they are a third of an inch. It needs to be something that converts 22 inches to roughly 7 something or others.... Pause for thinking...
    There is a measurement that is equivalent to 3 inches; is it a stick?? That is if the whole notion is based on the inch. It might be based on a metrimperial doodad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Hat size is the measurement of the circumference of the head (in inches) divided by pi. (3.14 something something something).
    I blame the mercury. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I know i came across that before OG, though I could not remember when the question was put (old age is a terrible thing!:)) and I think it was you who had explained it some long while ago :P

I know 3 milliners who have each explained it to me and I still can't tell you what they were waffling on about. :) On the plus side I do have a collection of fetching fitted hats.

Question:
    Harps, the musical instruments, come in all shapes and sizes. The largest of the harps are the grand concert double peddle ones. Although there are variances what is the typical number of strings on a concert harp?

ok, wild guess (I am not a bit musical!) I suspect it might be a multiple of 7 so I will hazard 84?

• Advertisement

Lower than that. It's close to the number of white keys on a grand piano.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Although there are variances what is the typical number of strings on a concert harp?

Fully rigged = 47 or 48. The pedals give us the fiddly notes in between.

Those pedals are tricky too - I don't know this stuff very well but there are approx. 6 or 7 pedals and when they're at rest, the instrument gives one note; when half-engaged, the note rises a semitone....or something like that. Suffice it to say that, when playing a concert harp, the harpist is "busy"! Proper multi-tasking!

Yep. 47 is the most common string count.
    Take it away Bren.

Yep. 47 is the most common string count.
    Take it away Bren.

Something unobscure?

Mr. Harry Webb (aka Cliff Richard) recorded a duet with a certain American male singer, known for his duetting skills. The recording reached No.9 in the UK charts in 1983 so don't tell me it's too obscure! Yiz were all bopping to this at the Saturday night hop. Can you:
    1. Name the duettist?
    2. Name the song?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Cliff once said in an interview that he was happy to sing with anyone who wanted to sing with him. I think he has sung with just about everyone by now. Can't think of an American guy though. Maybe Michael Jackson......but he died around that time didn't he? How about Andy Williams?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Maybe Michael Jackson......but he died around that time didn't he? How about Andy Williams?

Young Mr. Jackson died in 2009 so he cuddov sung with Cliff in 1983.....but he didn't!
    Not Andy Williams either. I believe he sang with his brothers when he was starting out but he wasn't primarily known as a duettist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

No idea of the song but could I proffer Paul Simon as the duettist.

Would this be your run-of-the-mill duettist, or a serial duettist?

garancafan wrote: »
    No idea of the song but could I proffer Paul Simon as the duettist.

Good guess but no, not Mr. Simon. Even during his time with Art Garforundum, Simon performed with many other performers, e.g. James Taylor, Willie Nelson, etc. but he didn't have a No.9 hit in the UK in 1983 with Cliff Richard.
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Would this be your run-of-the-mill duettist, or a serial duettist?

Not sure how to answer this! If by "run-of-the-mill duettist" you mean some singer who duets as well, well no. Although he did make very rare solo appearances and duets with others, e.g. Cliff Richard, the duettist I have in mind is certainly best known for his work in a duet. Perhaps this makes him a "serial duettist."
    Although Cliff's biggest influence was Elvis Presley, I'm sure he would include this duettist (and the original duo) as one of his influences. In my opinion, I think Cliff might have regarded this man (and the original duo) as a hero and would have been eksoyrah and deloyrah to perform with him.

Elvis Presley or Johnny Mathis???? Am I getting a vibe regarding modern technology and the fact that he might have sung alonga with the deceased Elvis!

Not sure how to answer this! If by "run-of-the-mill duettist" you mean some singer who duets as well, well no. Although he did make very rare solo appearances and duets with others, e.g. Cliff Richard, the duettist I have in mind is certainly best known for his work in a duet. Perhaps this makes him a "serial duettist."
    Although Cliff's biggest influence was Elvis Presley, I'm sure he would include this duettist (and the original duo) as one of his influences. In my opinion, I think Cliff might have regarded this man (and the original duo) as a hero and would have been eksoyrah and deloyrah to perform with him.

Sounds like an Everly bro. I'll guess Phil.
    No idea of the song.

• Advertisement

By George I think you might have sussed it!

garancafan wrote: »
    Sounds like an Everly bro. I'll guess Phil.
    No idea of the song.

Yes, Phil Everly and Cliff Richard reached No. 9 in the UK with this. Some complicated harmonies in there - no problem for Mr. Everly but Cliff handles them well too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgEI9IdJAhc

This would seem to leave me in the hot seat. Ok then:-

The London underground (the Tube) has 5 stations named after pubs!
    Which ones?

Elephant and Castle is one - L'Infanta de Castille (sp?) as it was probably originally known.

Not very familiar with London underground so I can't think of any more at the moment!

I used to be familiar with part of North London but can't think of stations named after pubs. Pass.

looksee wrote: »
    Elephant and Castle is one - L'Infanta de Castille (sp?) as it was probably originally known.

Not very familiar with London underground so I can't think of any more at the moment!
    Yes. One down 4 to go.

Oh, I thought i had posted again, obviously didn't take! Is there one called Royal Oak?

There is indeed. Three to go.

I think that is probably the limit of my underground knowledge! I was a bit doubtful about the Royal Oak as there was a bus stop of that name on a route I used in my youth, and I could not recall whether it was also an underground station.

I really only know anything about the 'Tube' from exposure to the map in my graphic design background, if I recall correctly it was the first map of its kind - and in mid sentence I have forgotten the name for the kind of map it is. Something like stylised, but not that. Drat.

Blackfriars sounds like it would make a good name for a pub. I don't know if it is one though

• Advertisement

Blackfriars sounds like it would make a good name for a pub...
    Particularly one with a beer-garden and barbecue.

Not one of the 5 though.

Angel?

Angel?

I'm pretty sure that's one OG The Angel, Islington! I had that vaguely in mind - something with feathers :D but I could not quite get it! I rather think there is a fishy one too.

Edit, no I suspect I am thinking of that thing about the letters in Mackerel being or not being in certain stations. Or something.

I suspect I am thinking of that thing about the letters in Mackerel being or not being in certain stations. Or something.

/aside to Matron
    I think looksee may be off her meds.

Angel?
    Yes. 2 to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Shepherd's Bush sounds like a promising pub-name. I reckon Blackfriars is to do with a monastery in the area.

St John's Wood tube station is the only tube station, the name of which contains none of the letters of the word 'mackerel' (the word Saint is not spelt out)... Every tube station contains at least one letter from the word bacteria.

this^^ Meds! hmph!

Samaris wrote: »
    Shepherd's Bush sounds like a promising pub-name...

A pig's ear down the Bush? Sounds plausible all right. Unfortunately not one of the 5.

One is on the Piccadilly line. The other is on the Jubilee (although I can recollect it being on the Bakerloo once upon a time).

• Advertisement

Oh that's a great help garacafan! :D Any remembering that is going on is totally random and not a bit scientific. Any more animals involved? - Bull & Bush? No that's a song. Or monarchies - King's Cross? No, that's mainline. Eagle keeps coming to mind, I'm sure there is a feathery one, but could be the Angel already got.

Ok, I gave in and looked them up :D One I have never heard of and the other is quite well known but I would never have linked it with a pub.

The two remaining pub-stations are Manor House and Swiss Cottage.

As to feathery stations I found Heron Quays, Canary Wharf and Cockfosters but only Angel was associated with a pub. I was happy to slake my thirst after my search.

For identifying two out of the five I hereby pass the baton to Looksee.

'This castle is one of the largest in Ireland, and is sited on an island in the river Suir. It was built from 1142 by Conor O'Brien, Prince of Thomond. In 1375, the castle was granted to James Butler, newly created Earl of Ormond. It is now situated in a town centre.'

Is this an easy one? Which castle is referred to above?

'This castle is one of the largest in Ireland, and is sited on an island in the river Suir. It was built from 1142 by Conor O'Brien, Prince of Thomond. In 1375, the castle was granted to James Butler, newly created Earl of Ormond. It is now situated in a town centre.'

Is this an easy one? Which castle is referred to above?

Is it Ormonde in Carrick-on-Suir?

Samaris wrote: »
    Is it Ormonde in Carrick-on-Suir?

Nope!

• Advertisement

Hrm...is there one in Clonmel then?

The only Island castle I can think of on the Suir is Waterford Castle on Little Island, but I thought it was a Fitzgerald castle...and it is not especially large.

Nope!

Now in fairness, and out of a thought, I just had a look on google maps at this much lauded island, and to be honest it barely qualifies as an island, maybe when the castle was built it was in fact completely surrounded by water, but now it is just, only just, an island!

Think this might be Cahir Castle.
    I'm not sure about the Suir(!) but I dropped in a year or so ago, with camera, and found it very impressive, particularly with the grounds, which seemed to be (almost) surrounded by water.

If wrong, I'd still recommend a visit and, if you have time to spare, drop over to Holycross Abbey, near Thurles.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement