Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Give the man a coconut!! You are quite right Brens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Oh oh, I'm veering...back....towards the....ob...scure....

I know you won't have heard this: At the end of "A Day in the Life" on the Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album, Mr. McCartney asked for a certain sound effect to be added, dedicated to his pal, Martha. What was the sound?

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Oh oh, I'm veering...back....towards the....ob...scure....

I know you won't have heard this: At the end of "A Day in the Life" on the Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album, Mr. McCartney asked for a certain sound effect to be added, dedicated to his pal, Martha. What was the sound?

Hmmm, no takers or even guesses so far!
    Hint: There is a huge clue in the text above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Hmmm, no takers or even guesses so far!
    Hint: There is a huge clue in the text above.

Yeees, I think I know it. I did have to confirm that Martha was his dog, mind, but there's a rather demented thing in the long "silence" at the end of the song where (I assume he) wanted the really high only-audible-to-dogs note, presumably because he hated pet owners and wanted them to suffer every time the song was on the radio.

Samaris wrote: »
    Yeees, I think I know it. I did have to confirm that Martha was his dog, mind, but there's a rather demented thing in the long "silence" at the end of the song where (I assume he) wanted the really high only-audible-to-dogs note, presumably because he hated pet owners and wanted them to suffer every time the song was on the radio.

Yes, Martha McCartney was a shetland sheepdog and the dog whistle was implanted into the final groove of Side Two so that, if you didn't lift the stylus arm, your dog would go mental.

Unfortunately, most radio DJs enjoy the sound of their own voices so much that they talk all over the instrumental intros and outros of tracks, thereby denying us the joy of listening to Woof howling. Oh well.....

Your turn.

I dunno, I think I can live without high-pitched squealing and mental dogs.

Although at least it's not those dratted teenager-pitch notes. Those, unfortunately, I can hear.

In 2014, Jack was the most common name given to baby boys in Ireland, with Emily in top place for girls. Again. So, what was the second most popular girl's name in Ireland in 2014?

If you were to ask this question in Parenting you would have an answer (correct) by now. This is O&O, our burning interest in children's names has waned a bit. :D

Ah there's a thought, Wanda?

I'm afraid Wanda doesn't seem to be in the top 200!

I shall give a clue though! It's not a name in Irish, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Mary?

Shall we start at A and work through? :D

Alice, Amanda, Arabella, Ann?

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote: »
    Mary?

Mary's at 120 in 2014! It is a ..hrm...very classic name. It's also been up top for a while now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

jesus wept, I even tried googling this one because its such a sh*t question. couldn't find the answer so I'm going to go with...

Fidelma:(

Mod: Now play nicely please! And mind your language :)

Oh! Jane?

Edit, just googled...not Jane (classic? hmmm)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

looksee wrote: »
    Mod: Now play nicely please! And mind your language :)

Aw.

Bear in mind that the names lists don't tend to change very rapidly, names only tend to bounce up and down a few places between years.

I'd argue it is a classic name :D Insofar as it's a common enough name going back quite a long time, and I'm not sure it's ever really been out of favour. It crops up fairly commonly amongst European royalty, although I think it only became popular with the English royals during the Hanover period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Bear in mind that the names lists don't tend to change very rapidly, names only tend to bounce up and down a few places between years.

I'd argue it is a classic name :D Insofar as it's a common enough name going back quite a long time, and I'm not sure it's ever really been out of favour. It crops up fairly commonly amongst European royalty, although I think it only became popular with the English royals during the Hanover period.

Well, definitely not Beyoncé then! :D What springs to my mind would be either Catherine, or Anne. You never hear those names these days.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Well, definitely not Beyoncé then! :D What springs to my mind would be either Catherine, or Anne. You never hear those names these days.

Alas. You really don't see Anne much in particular, although you can't throw a stick without hitting an Anna. I do know a few Catherines/Katherines/Cathy/Kate/Katie's though.

Neither of those though! Remember it has to be a common name now, and it has been a highly popular name for...I think it's about five years ago, it only got knocked off the top by Emily in 2014.

There are two main variants of it (like Mary/Maria).

It's always wise to choose a name that doesn't have much to rhyme with it.

I know there's a clue there......somewhere......brain just went to sleep. I will pop by tomorrow and see what transpires.

• Advertisement

Hmmmm....the "Wise" is in bold.....so it must be a clue.......Ernestine or Ernia?

I refuse to look it up! HOWEVER, I have looked up royal princesses' names and honestly there is not one name on the list that I have heard being yelled up O'Connell Street in the last ten years. The only one that jumps out from the list is Emma, but that's only because that's the name of Rachel's baby in 'Friends'! :)

Er...Butch?

I think I'll give the answer to this one :D

The second-most popular girl's name in Ireland in 2014 (and the most popular for, I think, the four years before that) was Sophie. In terms of the clues; there's two variants - Sophia is the other, there's really not much to rhyme with it and the more formal version Sophia means Wisdom.

The youngest sister of the Duke of Edinburgh, Princess George of Hanover/Princess Sophie of Denmark and Greece was named after her aunt, Queen Sophie of Greece. Other royal Sophies include the Countess of Wessex, the wife of George III and one of their daughters, etc.

What was the consequence of blinding Polyphemus in The Odyssey?

(Count yourselves lucky, I was going to get you to translate a line of James Joyce's Ulysses before I decided that that was far too cruel. It was “But Noodynaady's actual ingrate tootle is of come into the garner mauve and thy nice are stores of morning and buy me a bunch of iodines. ” if anyone's wondering!)

He couldn't see?

He couldn't see?

:pac: I should have seen that coming...

Ok, what were the consequences to -Odysseus- of blinding Polyphemus?

• Advertisement

I am really thinking of unfollowing this thread, oh yeah, really! Unversed as I am in the classics, I did read this story once......where?...I hear you ask....in a comic......where else? Nobody, absolutely, Nobody blinded 'im. End of. ;)

sophie

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭KayPea

The first consequence was Odysseus and most of his men escaping the giant's cave by hiding under the sheep as they left to graze. After getting out Odysseus bragged about how clever he was to PPolyphemus and so the giant prayed to Poseidon to punish Odysseus. And punish him he did!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I am really thinking of unfollowing this thread, oh yeah, really! Unversed as I am in the classics, I did read this story once......where?...I hear you ask....in a comic......where else? Nobody, absolutely, Nobody blinded 'im. End of. ;)

Aw, eek, don't do it! And hah, yes, you are right about that!

"Arrrgh! Nobody hurt me!"
    "Well, if nobody hurt you, then why are you shouting?"
    Ur-example of Who's On First there.. :D

KayPea wrote: »
    The first consequence was Odysseus and most of his men escaping the giant's cave by hiding under the sheep as they left to graze. After getting out Odysseus bragged about how clever he was to Polyphemus and so the giant prayed to Poseidon to punish Odysseus. And punish him he did!

Stabs out the eye of the son of the god of the sea and then sets off in his ship again. Silly hero.

Polyphemus asked his father to either see to it that Odysseus never returned, or else to keep him wandering for years, until he returned broken to a home of strife.

Over to you, KayPea!

I'm with you Jellybaby! Shall we go and have a cuppa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

I'll join you Looksee and Jellybaby. I have unfollowed this thread as it was meant to be an "easy quiz", a little something to tickle the grey matter - so I thought by the title. But alas it seems to have gone into a different realm, and that's not for me at this hour of my existence. Maybe Mods might think of putting a new title on the thread........that's all.

I'll put on the kettle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Have to say that I think the mix of questions here has been quite good. The range of topics is vast and I've been sent to google on numerous occasions.

The problem with quizzes is that they are only easy if you know the answer. We seem to have fallen into a pattern of asking questions and then if it's not answered of revealing the answer and moving on. I like that approach. Rather than staring blankly at the screen for weeks we know a new question will pop up quickly enough.

I wonder if we could work a way of having multiple questions going on at the same time? Rather than having the "you answered, you set the question" format that in currently in use anyone can post up a question at any time.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

:( I apologise for my part in making it not-fun then, since I've put in quite a few questions! Maybe wasn't on the right wavelength! Cuppa tea and then shift the thread back to before it was derailed onto more esoteric questions? ^^

Don't apologise Samaris, or anyone else, as OG said a question is easy only when you know the answer. Is the 'Easy' quiz as it was designed to be by that Great Master of Anglesey? I dunno, he's a clever one is he, and only he can answer that. Maybe some of what I call 'easy' questions are difficult for others. A few of us here don't have Masters Degrees or wotnot! Although I shouldn't be moaning as I did remember the story of Polyfillus and Odious but couldn't remember the outcome! Apologies to all ye clever-pots, but I left skewel by the age of 13 and was working full time at the age of 15 so anything I do know, I accidentally tripped over during my 60+ life time. How about a vote, maybe there are more who want more difficult questions, and I wouldn't have any objections but I'd leave ye to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭KayPea

Everyone have their cup of tea in hand? Here is a two part tea question...
    What is the name of the plant that your tea leaves are plucked from?
    And the optional extra, just for a bonus point, question... What is a gaiwan?

KayPea wrote: »
    Everyone have their cup of tea in hand? Here is a two part tea question...
    What is the name of the plant that your tea leaves are plucked from?
    And the optional extra, just for a bonus point, question... What is a gaiwan?

"Ah, you'll have a cuppa tea. Gaiwan, gaiwan, gaiwan!"

The tea plant is camellia I think

The Gaiwan question comes under 'hard questions' - for me anyway as I don't know the answer :D

Ok, lets revisit this a bit. The questions have got a bit obscure, but from my point of view the really obscure questions are the celebrity/ film/ music ones - and sport. I am thinking madly here trying to figure out how we can make it a bit more user friendly. I am not sure we can just have lots of questions, I think it would be too confusing and the answers would get lost too.

How about if I get it started with 3 questions, if you can answer any of them you set a question.

One person can only have one question going at a time so if you answer another question you have to throw it open for whoever wants to set a question.

Any questions not answered correctly in 24 hours, the original person or anyone else can declare it dead and ask another question.

This should mean that we should have three questions going at a time and a better chance of a wide variety of subjects. Try and keep it fast and reasonably easy (easy if you know the answers:D)

Lets give it a try, if anyone has any other suggestions or it is not working we will re-think.

After this starter each person will only ask one question at a time:

Question 1: Who was the male lead in the film Titanic?

Question 2: The Claret Jug is associated with which sporting event

Question 3: What was the Wellington Bridge in Dublin renamed as?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

"Ah, you'll have a cuppa tea. Gaiwan, gaiwan, gaiwan!"
    That was my immediate thought too :D

As we are talking tea and 'Gaiwan' sounds kinda Japanese I'll guess that gaiwan is a kind of tea maid, a tea geisha.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Question 1: Who was the male lead in the film Titanic?

Leonardo di Caprio.

• Advertisement

Yes, go with another question!

(Other two questions are still open for answers)

On what Irish coin was the woodcock?

Yes, go with another question!

(Other two questions are still open for answers)

The Open (Golf)

No idea of the 3rd Q.

The Open (Golf)

No idea of the 3rd Q.

Right, go with a question

Was it the farthing? I know it was a tiny coin

Which bird is said to be "king of the birds"?

50p? Only one I can remember having a bird on it!

Which bird is said to be "king of the birds"?

The wren?

There was a birdie on the farthing, don't know what it was though. Oops, just saw Looksee said that already.

• Advertisement

garancafan wrote: »
    The wren?

Yep :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement