Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Right! You're up Samaris!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Regarding the image on O'Connell Bridge, you're all getting close but no-one is there yet.
    I have to admit that I was surprised by this "factoid" - maybe I'll double check!

In the meantime, another hint: I think he would be more at home in Limerick or Galway or Sligo.

PS: I've double-checked and the hinterweb insists that this face does depict.......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Ahh, looked it up. Yes, I'm also surprised. Whoever designed it or named it, was indeed mistaken.

BrensBenz wrote: »
    What does this depict? Hint: Although in Dublin, it's not one of the Dubliners!

356775.jpg

No takers so I'll reveal that this mush depicts the "Atlantic!" Yes, I know but it says so on the hinterweb.

So, a new question: What's this?

Oh its a roofing nail I think...or maybe its a floorboard nail. That makes more sense. I shall post and then go and check!

Lol, yes it could not be a roofing nail, the top would stick up too much. My second go was right :D I think that was cheating a bit. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

That's an old t&g floor board nail.

looksee wrote: »
    Oh its a roofing nail I think...or maybe its a floorboard nail.
    That's an old t&g floor board nail.

You're both correct - it's usually called a "flooring brad" and it was used by the thousands, with the grain, on "proper" tongue and groove floor boards. If you missed it and left an impression of your hammer in the wood, you would be mocked mercilessly by your superiors for "making money on the floor". Now, I wonder how I knew that??????

Since looksee got it first, honours go there.

Now what would a frail little old lady like me know about flooring nails? :P

Ok, question...what is - or more likely, was - Ireland's national colour? (and it does have a specific name if you want to be absolutely right)

If you missed it and left an impression of your hammer in the wood, you would be mocked mercilessly by your superiors for "making money on the floor". Now, I wonder how I knew that?
    Worse than that, each of the nails had to be exactly flush, while leaving no imprint of the hammer.

• Advertisement

Ok, question...what is - or more likely, was - Ireland's national colour? (and it does have a specific name if you want to be absolutely right)

Blue. I'm a man, so can only see 7 colours.. None of this taupe, champagne, crimson messing!

Well go on then! Its called St Patrick's Blue, if anyone wants to know!

Your go, Into the Blue (now there's appropriate!)

Inspired by the Grafton St question..

What year did the East Link toll bridge open?

I feel inspired to have another guess - I have no idea :D 1994

75% correct, as in three of these digits are correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

I have a feeling it was in the 80's so 1984?

Correct, you're up

Over which country did the Queen of Sheba rule?

Sheba? :pac:

• Advertisement

:D:D:D Good try but no cigar!!!!!!!!!

Nope not Sheba.

I'll bow to your greater knowledge. The answer I had for it was Ethiopia.

Now it is Ethiopia (tho no-one really knows and it is much disputed), but the question was 'Over which country did the Queen of Sheba rule?', and she ruled over Sheba! :D (when I answered it was tongue-in-cheek, I was surprised by the confirmation :p)

Sheba was a Kingdom not a country as far as I knew.

Now I am lost. We need a question from Samaris, and one from me for the Sheba :D answer, and one from someone else, but I can't figure who.

So someone throw in another question please to get back to three.

My question:

What is the numerical value of pi - starts 3. what are the next three numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Oops, my question! What was the birth first name of Queen Victoria?

Ooh, I know that pi question, but since I just asked one, I shall refrain! :D

Charlotte ?

Charlotte ?

Nope. It's worth saying that it's not particularly cropped up in the current generation, as far as I know. It's a rather unusual first name in this iteration, although the more normal male and female forms are very common.

What is the numerical value of pi - starts 3. what are the next three numbers?

Does anyone know what PI is a ratio of?

I didn't. I looked it up. Now I know. :p

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what PI is a ratio of?

It's the ratio of the radius to the circumference of a circle, I think? I may be totally off there.

Samaris wrote: »
    It's the ratio of the radius to the circumference of a circle, I think? I may be totally off there.

Not the radius! The ratio of diameter to circumference.

Father Lucien would be proud of me. He was the one who said, in rather a loud voice, "Benz, there's no point me trying to teach you anything." I thought it was a compliment so I thanked him!

Father Lucien would be proud of me. He was the one who said, in rather a loud voice, "Benz, there's no point me trying to teach you anything." I thought it was a compliment so I thanked him!

Good man, off you go.......

Derp, if I'd considered a circle in my head for two minutes there, there's no way only three and a bit radii would have made up the circumference! :D

Good man, off you go.......

Sorry for delay. folks.

What's this called? Full and correct name please - as if you were buying one from the unhelpful 15 year-old behind the counter - not "ya know the yoke and it's got those things...but it doesn't have....and it goes there but the old one broke...?"

357213.jpg

Ah come-on Brens! :D I looked at that and thought its a ---- but then I thought, hmm has to be more to it than that, and i didn't know so I looked it up, and right enough, the description had 14 words/numbers in it!! (including the one I thought it was :P)

Ah come-on Brens! :D I looked at that and thought its a ---- but then I thought, hmm has to be more to it than that, and i didn't know so I looked it up, and right enough, the description had 14 words/numbers in it!! (including the one I thought it was :P)

Yes, I'm familiar with that webpage! Very comprehensive but of NO value whatever if you go to the 15 year-old sales assistant (or his ancestors) and quote Part Numbers, Category Types, etc. from that page. You will get nothing but "whawhh?"

It's fairly obviously a bulb of some sort and there is ONE word to describe this type of bulb. A "bayonet" bulb? An "Edison screw" bulb? A "gas discharge" bulb? A "--s--o-" bulb?

I don't think Festoon bulb is the correct and proper name for it. Is it not a w5w or similar?

Is it a radio valve?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Is it a radio valve?
    It's the type of bulb you'd see in car interior lights, registration plate lights. It's known as a festoon bulb but benz asked for the real name, of that, I've no idea..

• Advertisement

See clue from Brens above, I think you have it ;)

I don't think Festoon bulb is the correct and proper name for it. Is it not a w5w or similar?

Well, "Festoon" is the word I was looking for. It may not be "proper" but it is guaranteed to be recognised in those motor factors who stock everything in biscuit tins. Of course they come in a huge range of lengths, voltages and wattages, with bamboozling alphanumeric identifiers, but "festoon" gets you into the double-ended filament "species" and voltage, wattage and length just fine tune the selection.

Well done. You're up.

Why is the Earth Point of a house electrical socket so called?

I thought I knew that before I started trying to make it into a sentence. Its because it takes any ...um...surplus power to earth - literally into the ground...rather than giving you a shock by going to earth through you. Because electricity always 'wants' to go to the ground. Am I near enough?

Abbasolutely.

I'll give the answer as to Queen Vic's first name, since it's somewhere back a page or so :D Her full name was Alexandrina Victoria, and for somewhat unsurprising reasons she didn't go for Queen Alexandrina!

What is the name of Cecil (the lion's) brother, the one that now is alpha male of the pride that the whole world has been staring at :D?

Oh good question! I have seen that any number of times but I could not tell you what it is!

Jericho, head to think about that!! The joys of no Facebook/twitter :D

Boiling point of water at 1 atmosphere of pressure (14.5psiA) is 100C. As the pressure is increased, does the boiling point go;
    A. Up
    B. Down
    C. Remain the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Boiling point of water at 1 atmosphere of pressure (14.5psiA) is 100C. As the pressure is increased, does the boiling point go;
    A. Up
    B. Down
    C. Remain the same.

A. Up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement