Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Over a day now and no progress!
    Hint: The "menswear" was a style of mens' suit.

No takers, so I'll reveal that the sax player in the Muppet Show was called "Zoot".

New question: Two hugely successful artists in the American music industry in the 20th century were born twins but their twins died at birth. Can you name both of these artists?

PS: There may be more than two so, if you name a third or fourth, you win.

Rubecula wrote: »
    :pac: never thought about it now I need to think of a question :eek:

Which singer had a hit with "The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde" ?

phew I may have got away with it lol

Georgie Fame (without the Blue Flames)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

right on Brens :)

Which singer had a hit with "The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde" ?

I still have it on 45! I taped the gunshots at the end of the song and used to mix them with tapes of my "boyband".

New question but in the same area: Who did Georgie Fame duet with in 1971 with their top 20 hit, asking "
    are you better, are you well, well, well?"

I still have it on 45! I taped the gunshots at the end of the song and used to mix them with tapes of my "boyband".

New question but in the same area: Who did Georgie Fame duet with in 1971 with their top 20 hit, asking "
    are you better, are you well, well, well?"

Alan Price

Alan Price

Correct! I was going to give a clue later, saying that Georgie Fame duetted with a real Animal!

By the way, Fame and Price sang about "Rosetta".

Over to you.

Keeping in with the music theme (I am in the middle of my show LOL )

Who sang Green Tambourine (As a younger me I sang along with it singing green Tangerine LOL)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

looksee wrote: »
    Ok :o I am going to pass the baton to garacafan...

Give it a lash G.

OK. This should raise some welts..

Who are the protagonists in "the state of origin"?

Who sang Green Tambourine

The Lemon Pipers. 1968 was a VERY good year!

• Advertisement

The Lemon Pipers. 1968 was a VERY good year!
    right in one Brens

right in one Brens

OK, another ancient pop music question:

Can you name the person who:
    • engineered all of The Beatles EMI studio recordings until 1965;
    • engineered almost 100 Beatles songs in total;
    • produced the first, third and fourth albums for Pink Floyd;
    • played the drum part for Pink Floyd's "Remember a Day" (because their own drummer couldn't get it right!);
    • produced albums for Barclay James Harvest;
    • had a No. 2 hit in the UK in 1971;
    • had a No. 4 hit in the UK in 1972.

garancafan wrote: »
    OK. This should raise some welts..

The protagonists are the opponents in a team sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

OK, another ancient pop music question:

• played the drum part for Pink Floyd's "Remember a Day" (because their own drummer couldn't get it right!);

Great question BB. Would it be Mr Alan Parsons ? (the #2/#4 hits in 71/72 don't seem right tho!)

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Great question BB. Would it be Mr Alan Parsons ? (the #2/#4 hits in 71/72 don't seem right tho!)

No, not Alan Parsons. This person was a "humble" sound engineer during his time with the Beatles but, when promoted to producer, his involvement with The Beatles ended.

Two hugely successful artists in the American music industry in the 20th century were born twins but their twins died at birth. Can you name both of these artists?

PS: There may be more than two so, if you name a third or fourth, you win.

No takers so far for this question! Would it help if I told you that, although both of them had a full complement of names, they are instantly recognisable by one of their names? Just to be clear, the "one-names" are different!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

No takers so far for this question! Would it help if I told you that, although both of them had a full complement of names, they are instantly recognisable by one of their names? Just to be clear, the "one-names" are different!

Drat, drat, I know this one. It was in a Cracked article some months ago. But names... >.>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I bet one of them was Elvis! I do have a very vague notion that there was a twin sister, but I could be imagining that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

As usual, you got there before me. I thought Elvis had a twin brother who died at birth. Gawsh, can you imagine what the world would have been like with two Elvises. Twice the hunk, twice the fans, twice the excitement, and twice the problems too! Aw. Thinks......or was it a sister for the lads?

I checked it out JB you are right it was a brother, but there was a poem about Elvis's twin sister, which i must have heard about at some stage http://genius.com/Carol-ann-duffy-elviss-twin-sister-annotated.

I now also know (as a result of the googling) who the other one was so I will l leave that one for someone else. I would not have guessed anyway!

The protagonists are Queensland and New South Wales in the game of Rugby League. They play an annual best of three.

The strange title of the competition arises from the fact that prior to 1982 the teams were composed of players plying their trade in the province in which they were playing. This was changed in 1982 to allow provinces to pick their players from their "state of origin".

• Advertisement

I bet one of them was Elvis!

Yes, you're halfway there! The other artist was best known by just one of his names.

"Cheapside" - a street in the City of London is of particular significance in the subject of Linguistics. What is the significance?

"Cheapside" - a street in the City of London is of particular significance in the subject of Linguistics. What is the significance?

Well it is a banking centre and used to be a market area/ street. Unless by linguistics you mean how did it get it's name...... I think the one in Liverpool was named after the word ceapan or kopan. But honestly this is just a guess from info I dimly remember from ancient schooldays in Liverpool.

Well it is a banking centre and used to be a market area/ street. Unless by linguistics you mean how did it get it's name......

Not so much "how did it get its name" rather to what did a particular building in Cheapside give its name to the definition of a linguistic and, indeed, demographic evolution?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Cheapside give its name to the definition of a linguistic and, indeed, demographic evolution?

s5l8q0.jpg

I thought this was supposed to be the all new, revised and easier quiz. I haven't a f**kin clue what that supposed clarification even means :confused:

There appears to be some letters missing in your contribution. Perhaps you could clarify.

Like a ghetto for example?

Two hugely successful artists in the American music industry in the 20th century were born twins but their twins died at birth. Can you name both of these artists?

All's quiet on this question so I'll reveal that both Elvis and Liberace were twins but their twins died at birth.

Equal silence on this! The mystery engineer / producer / recording artist was Norman (Hurricane) Smith.

The building in question is the church of St Mary-le-Bow. Anybody take it from there?

Given the mention of Mary-le-Bow, I'm going to go with the old thing of Cockneys being those born within the sound range of the Bow Bells (although they were destroyed during WW2). So the linguistic aspect would be the famous Cockney speech of the area?

• Advertisement

Well done - you've nailed it. The demographic aspect is, of course, the people themselves.

Over to you.

What is (or was, in Victorian England) a "mutton shunter"?

Never heard of it, but I suppose it couldn't be one of those enormous sleeves called leg-o-mutton?

(or a sheep dog, come to think of it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Is it something to do with the manufacture of mutton cloth? I have visions of Victorian children brushing out cotton from beneath the industrial looms.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

By a very convoluted thought process, a bath chair? (early wheelchair)

edit - looked it up, not in a million years etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Had a genuine LOL at that. It's how I shall refer to myself in future when I relate stories of pushing my mum around in her wheelchair.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

edit - looked it up, not in a million years etc.

I have to admit to utter fascination at how your thought process followed to there! :D

It refers to a person (or job, more accurately). I have only guesses as to how exactly it became attached to this job though.

Edit: Good guess, OldGoat, but nope, nothing to do with manufacturing cloth.

Samaris wrote: »
    I have to admit to utter fascination at how your thought process followed to there! :D

It refers to a person (or job, more accurately). I have only guesses as to how exactly it became attached to this job though.

Edit: Good guess, OldGoat, but nope, nothing to do with manufacturing cloth.

Old Goat had no problem following my thought process...

Old Goat had no problem following my thought process...

Wait, I got it :D

• Advertisement

It refers to a person (or job, more accurately)...

Would this person be employed in an abattoir?

Would this person be employed in an abattoir?

Nope, although it was a fairly new profession at the time, at least in its then-format. They were required to be under 35 years of age, at least 5'7" in height, of good health and were rather unpopular when they first appeared.

Traffic wardens? :D

Traffic wardens? :D

Getting warmer! :D

Railway workers?

Nope, although it was a fairly new profession at the time, at least in its then-format. They were required to be under 35 years of age, at least 5'7" in height, of good health and were rather unpopular when they first appeared.

Aha! My genealogical experience tells me he would have been a rozzer! A copper! He walked the thin blue line. He was in fact a police man.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Aha! My genealogical experience tells me he would have been a rozzer! A copper! He walked the thin blue line. He was in fact a police man.

Yes indeed! Otherwise known as Bobbies, Peelers, and Peel's Thugs (they really weren't popular, in fact the first one killed on duty, it was ruled "justifiable homicide"!)

They were empowered to deal with "all loose, idle and disorderly Persons whom he shall find disturbing the public Peace, or whom he shall have just Cause to suspect of any evil Designs, and all Persons whom he shall find between sunset and the Hour of Eight in the Forenoon lying in any Highway, Yard, or other Place, or loitering therein, and not giving a satisfactory Account of themselves..." as well as taking over various duties previously assigned to town watchmen and lamplighters.

Over to you!

Ta very much. No idea what mutton has to do with it though. Anyhoo, brain is tired, I'll post a question in the morning.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Ta very much. No idea what mutton has to do with it though. Anyhoo, brain is tired, I'll post a question in the morning.

Not certain what mutton is to do with it either, although I had a vague mental guess about someone that shoos mutton chops (those beards that were common) out of where they shouldn't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Mod: Moved from Interesting facts thread

There are five areas in Dublin ending in O or the O sound?

anyone?

That's an easy quiz question! This is for the answers :)

Anyway from a non-dub - Phibsborough, Marino, Bailiborough, i think thats my lot!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement