Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

looksee wrote: »
    That's an easy quiz question! This is for the answers :)

Anyway from a non-dub - Phibsborough, Marino, Bailiborough, i think thats my lot!

Bailieborough is in Kheeavannn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Monto and Harmo. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Monto and Harmo. :)

Get up the yard.

NO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Rialto, Marino, Portobello. Ciao.

garancafan wrote: »
    Rialto, Marino, Portobello. Ciao.

getting warm...

Pimlico

Pimlico

you old goat you...

try this one..

put 7 of the word "and" in a row in a sentence and have it make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have kinda lost track here, but I think we are looking for questions from OldGoat and Jellybaby, I don't know who the other one is but filbert the fox seems to be on a roll so we will go with that. :D

In a fantasy tale who or what is a "Houyhnhnm"?

I'm reaching a bit here but I think its one of those Arabian Nights creatures, some sort of spirit /ghost.

• Advertisement

I have kinda lost track here, but I think we are looking for questions from OldGoat and Jellybaby, I don't know who the other one is but filbert the fox seems to be on a roll so we will go with that. :D

eh. sorry for butting in...just re read the original post.....I'll just go to the back of the queue....:(

'fraid not looksee.

eh. sorry for butting in...just re read the original post.....I'll just go to the back of the queue....:(

Ah don't worry filbert, we are not uptight about things round here, and we tend to make the rules up as we go along anyway. :D I was going to have a go at that and thingy so don't fade away now!

Ah don't worry filbert, we are not uptight about things round here, and we tend to make the rules up as we go along anyway. :D I was going to have a go at that and thingy so don't fade away now!

I haven't gone away you know.......oh dear one of those things you can't say anymore without someone thinking you are a sympathiser.

How about this:

'And' and 'and and' and 'and and and' are a progression, what comes next?

disclaimer, this is not the original answer to this question but I can't remember that one (it was somewhat more sophisticated). And it may not be a progression, but you get the idea and I cannot remember the word I need (this is O&O after all).

How about this:

disclaimer, this is not the original answer to this question but I can't remember that one (it was somewhat more sophisticated). And it may not be a progression, but you get the idea and I cannot remember the word I need (this is O&O after all).

sequence or sequins?

Definitely not sequins but you could be right about sequence :P

I had to look it up, it was annoying me, and yes I had come across it but totally forgotten!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

How about this:

I would assume either "and and and and" or a thick ear, depending on if it's being said aloud :pac:

Edit: Although depending on how it's being said, it could be "and and and and and", but given the "and and"...the word's lost all meaning to me now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Sorry can't post a question. Someone else take my place please. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Thanks for letting us know JB ((hug)) Hope everything is ok.

errrr ......

Who is said to have invented the steam engine?

James Watt?

James Watt?

Good guess looksee but sorry no. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Rubecula wrote: »
    Thanks for letting us know JB ((hug)) Hope everything is ok.

Another hug
    Rubecula wrote: »
    Who is said to have invented the steam engine?
    Horses.

errr Horses?

• Advertisement

Stephenson?

Just to be really awkward, I do know that the steam engine was invented at least twice before, once by Da Vinci and once by an ancient Greek chap called Hero, in 70AD. It was called an aeolipile.

I suspect this is not the answer being sought though :D

Knowall!! :rolleyes: :D

That's a fair bet, Da Vinci invented everything!

Samaris wrote: »
    Just to be really awkward, I do know that the steam engine was invented at least twice before, once by Da Vinci and once by an ancient Greek chap called Hero, in 70AD. It was called an aeolipile.

I suspect this is not the answer being sought though :D

Hero (Heron of Alexandria) is right Samaris.

• Advertisement

S'true, we'll probably eventually turn up da Vinci designs for the Enterprise and the Millennium Falcon eventually. And the hoover.

And huh! I didn't think it'd be close enough to the ultimately used version to count!

Eruhm..

In terms of the Chinese calendar, what year (as in Year of the X) are we in currently? Bonus points if you get the element as well.

I do know this one for certain as it is a 12 year cycle and many cycles ago I was born under the same yearly sign..... I will let others have a go though. Not sure on the element though.

Ah go on Rube - actually I think this was asked before but I can't remember the answer, was it sheep?

Ah go on Rube - actually I think this was asked before but I can't remember the answer, was it sheep?

Correct, t'is the Year of the Ram/Goat, and the element is Wood. I have no idea what the wood bit means.

Samaris wrote: »
    Correct, t'is the Year of the Ram/Goat, and the element is Wood. I have no idea what the wood bit means.

Yes the sheep and goat are used interchangeably, I recall OG came to mind the last time! No I have never heard of the element bit.

What is the term 'run and fell' (or sometimes 'flat-fell') associated with, and brownie points if you can describe it exactly.

Cough, Cough, ahem.....see my post #630
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Ok, no peeking this time either. According to the Chinese New Year Calendar (which I found online), what year are we in now? You are allowed to argue with the answer I have if you really must, as I didn't really know it myself.

Tsk, tsk, :rolleyes:

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Cough, Cough, ahem.....see my post #630

Tsk, tsk, :rolleyes:

Oops! In my defence, it was before I joined the thread, I think! (if not, then double-oops :P)

It WAS an excellent choice for a question, though I say so myself! :D

I still have this question on the go. Strangely enough the right answer has appeared since I posted the question but it was not posted as a reply to it. :)
    Other characters that appear in the same fantasy are the "Yahoos".

without looking it up, I have no idea on this one.

• Advertisement

I still have this question on the go. Strangely enough the right answer has appeared since I posted the question but it was not posted as a reply to it. :)
    Other characters that appear in the same fantasy are the "Yahoos".

Er..is it some sort of goat? O.O

Edit: Looked it up and it told me something about a character in one of my favourite series, so awesome! I wouldn't have guessed it though.

Seems like no one is gonna guess this so I'll tell ye that the Houyhnhnm are a race of intelligent horses who keep a race of humanoid creatures called the Yahoos. These characters are all met in a book called "Travels into Several Remote Nations of the World. In Four Parts. By Lemuel Gulliver, First a Surgeon, and then a Captain of Several Ships", more commonly known as Gullivar's Travels. :)

Keeping to the classics, this time Shakespearian...which play features a yellow stockinged, cross gartered character called Malvolio?

Is Malvolio in The Tempest?

Nope. Lost of similarities between the Tempest and the play that Malvolio appears in though.

That's going to annoy me now. I know I have read the play, and I honestly haven't read all that many - we 'did' The Tempest at school and I enjoyed it. Unless it was Midsummer Night's Dream (which we performed in primary school and in which I played the part of one of the workmen in the sub-play - because I had a northern accent which the midlands teacher said had to be made use of!) but it would only be a guess, I really can't be sure.

Do you know, one of the challenges of this quiz is not whether or not you know the stuff, its whether that rusting lump of matter that passes for a brain can remember it :( .

It's annoying me too. I'm almost sure it was one of the comedies, so I'll go with Twelfth Night.

On the Houyhnhnm (which I have -no- idea how to pronounce), when I looked it up and saw what they were, it reminded me of the Narnia book - The Horse and His Boy. The horse (can't remember if it was a Talking Horse, I think so?) belonging to the main girl in the story was called Hwin! :D

Twelfth Night indeed. Malvolio is the tragic comedic antagonist of the play made fool of by prank playing drunks with a forged love note. I laughed. :)

I never read any of the Narnia stories until about 20 years ago at a point in my life where I was surrounded by writers and academics in the scifi/fantasy field. I can see the appeal to children reading them just as a page turning adventure but the underlying moral preaching was so sickly sweet I never managed to get past the third book (and I read a LOT of crap books). I can acknowledge their influence on other writers in the same genre but the they are just not for me.
    Philip Pullman writes what some see as an antithesis of the Narnia chronicles in his series "His dark materials". Though they too suffer from the same moralistic preaching albeit from a different perspective, the characters in his novels are much broader, less stereotypical and generally more fun to be around. :)

Slightly different question this time: Who can get the most words out of "advantage"? Given there's no hard and fast answer, I'll take the top score by this time tomorrow :D

If two people get the same greatest amount of words, the first one gets it.

Edit: Words must be of three or more letters!

whats the minimum number of letters and do we have to provide a list in the event of winning...:pac:

• Advertisement

whats the minimum number of letters and do we have to provide a list in the event of winning...:pac:

Oh er, good point. Smallest amount of letters is three+. And yes, you need list them! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement