Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ok, I reckon I got 25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Samaris wrote: »
    Slightly different question this time: Who can get the most words out of "advantage"? Given there's no hard and fast answer, I'll take the top score by this time tomorrow :D

If two people get the same greatest amount of words, the first one gets it.

Edit: Words must be of three or more letters!
    I love these games xx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

A'ight, that's all takers for the question? Guess Looksee has it, unless anyone nips in!

Now she gets to list them :P

We seem to have lost Looksee! Anyone want to do a question?

you do it Samaris

• Advertisement

Why is the QWERTY layout keyboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I guess the reason the QWERTY keyboard is designed the way it is, is for speed of typing. They must have tried different variations before they pinned it down. In my day (yawn!), speed and accuracy were vitally important, which is the reason I am so nippy on the 'ould keys to this day. But maybe that's not what you meant?

The story I heard JB was that in order to increase speak the keys that were more used and less used were put beside each other so they did not lock or tangle together - or should i say, were less likely to lock and tangle! Like you I was trained as a touch typist and while I am still pretty nippy, I used be able to really get up some speed - we were expected to be able to type accurately at pretty well dictation speed - and that was on the old manuals that you really had to hit the keys.

I was told that it avoided key jams on old typewriters

ps I used to type at 50 wpm now it is about a 10th of that or less)

At my fastest (God be with the days!) I hit an impressive 90wpm!! There was smoke coming out of the Remington. :D I'm probably around 65-70 these days. My Pitman shorthand was 110wpm but now non existent. Now, where's my Mavis Beacon so I can test myself. I'll confirm at a later date. Back to the quiz.......so my answer was wrong, eh? I assume that if the keys were getting jammed it s-l-o-w-e-d things down. Eh? Eh? Where's the ref?

• Advertisement

no idea if you are right or wrong JB I was just repeating what I was once told. :)

Agree with Rube, I have no definite knowledge - there was also the notion that they were arranged for the stronger fingers having the commonest letters, but then why give the left hand little finger the 'a'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I did my typing training in the Irish Times school on Abbey Street way back when. I reached the astounding speed of 60 wpm. I can still hear the drone of the tutor and the click of the metronome in my head "A now, B now, C now, wrists up! QAZ,WSX,EDC, eyes front!"

I believe that the QUERTY layout was to actually slow typists down. Fast typists would inevitably bind the keys so the querty was used in an attempt to slow down the speed of the operators...at least that's what I heard.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

D'you know OG, I think now you have said that, you are right!

(I used hate that metronome, if anything was guaranteed to put me off, that would, though in the long run it did work!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

During my piano-playing days I, too, came to loathe the metronome and usually lost the tempo. But sit me down with a bass-player and a drummer and my tempo was perfect. Maybe that's the solution for trainee typists!

I think trainee typists today just sit in front of a screen and self teach. At least that's what happened to my offspring when they did typing courses. They don't know what they missed! :D

Back to the Quiz. Samaris.......put us out of our misery......is Rube the winner?

If I was right JB the honour would go to Looksee I believe.

I can't keep up. And I have totally lost track of who else is supposed to be asking questions.

Oh, and I think OG got the typewriter one.

OK so, on the assumption that I got it right I'll offer up this question.
    Why, here and in the UK, are surgeons and consultants referred to as Mr/Miss/Ms rather that Doctor?

Good question. Always thought it was 'cos they are just plain snooty.

• Advertisement

Doesn't it stem from the days when surgeons were not medically qualified. Surgery was frequently carried out by barbers - hence the red and white striped pole. The red represented blood!

Yep, thats right. Doctors went to study their profession whereas surgeons were apprenticed to theirs. These days of course surgeons are all studied up and have doctorates but the tradition of referring to them as Mr's or Mrs's still exists.

Who were Vera, Chuck and Dave?

Lyrics in "When I'm Sixty-Four". Appropriate for O & O's.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Lyrics in "When I'm Sixty-Four". Appropriate for O & O's.
    Spot on JB. Vera, Chuck and Dave are the imagined grandchildren.
    You're up again.

Oooh I was too quick, and no question at the ready. I'll be back.

Steptoe and Son had two horses, their names are very well known, Delilah and Hercules. However, what was the name of their goldfish?

Yikes, haven't a clue. Bubbles?

Last time I guessed with Winston Churchill I was right so I'll go with that guess again. Is it Winston Churchill?

• Advertisement

To be perfectly honest, I only found one reference to their goldfish, and it wasn't Bubbles, and it wasn't Winston Churchill.

They wouldn't have plagiarised either of the names of our two goldfish, Finian and Gilbert (Fin and Gill to their friends) would they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

If memory serves it was Charlie Steptoe

And Andip's memory serves him/her very well. Charlie it was. Your turn to post a question now.

A he last time I looked :D ok, had this in a pub quiz last week:

What traditionally does a barbers pole signify & what's the link with one Irish counties gaa team

Andip wrote: »
    A he last time I looked :D ok, had this in a pub quiz last week:

What traditionally does a barbers pole signify & what's the link with one Irish counties gaa team
    See post #1370 et seq. I presume the county is Cork.

• Advertisement

county is cork yes

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Sudance

Vague memories of reading about this....

Is it because barbers used to do surgery as well and the red represented blood or something...

Naw i'ts not coming back to me.

Sudance wrote: »
    Vague memories of reading about this....

Is it because barbers used to do surgery as well and the red represented blood or something...

Naw i'ts not coming back to me.

Sudance, its you're lucky day as I'm away for a few days, so in fairness I'll pass the baton - you're very close anyway.

Some barbers did indeed used to do surgery along with hair & shaving. This was particularly popular around the ports where sailors would land with gangrene and head to the barbers for a haircut, shave and amputation. The barbers who practiced this had a red and white pole outside signifying 'Blood and Bandages'.

Blood and bandages being the name by which the Cork gaa lads are still known.

Andip wrote: »
    Sudance, its you're lucky day as I'm away for a few days, so in fairness I'll pass the baton - you're very close anyway.

Some barbers did indeed used to do surgery along with hair & shaving. This was particularly popular around the ports where sailors would land with gangrene and head to the barbers for a haircut, shave and amputation. The barbers who practiced this had a red and white pole outside signifying 'Blood and Bandages'.

Blood and bandages being the name by which the Cork gaa lads are still known.

Wow, can't believe it,I finally won something...ooh I'll live on this fer a week lol

Just remembered I used to go to Sweeney Todds for their pies. God I'd give anything for one of their pies now. Sweeney Todd was a barber. He set up an underthetable business arrangement with the lady restaurant owner next door.

Customers in for a hair cut would end up being the filler for the restaurant pies. Infamous in the UK, but damn....the pies...the pies....

Ok, now that everyone;s face has fallen into their keyboard :):)

In what country is it a part of their custom to draw/paint phallic symbols on the front of ones home????

We were trying to run three questions simultaneously but seem to have reverted to one. Let me try to resurrect one stemming from post #1279 which seems to have fizzled out:-

The phrase "taken aback" is used and understood to mean "surprised, lost for words, nonplussed etc". From what does the phrase derive?

• Advertisement

Good detective work Garacafan! I was trying to keep track of them but then was away for a few days and lost touch!

Both of the questions have me baffled, though I imagine the 'taken aback' one might refer to being captured by being crept up on from behind?

looksee wrote: »
    Good detective work Garacafan! I was trying to keep track of them but then was away for a few days and lost touch!

Both of the questions have me baffled, though I imagine the 'taken aback' one might refer to being captured by being crept up on from behind?
    Like all the best detective work the secret is in footslogging.
    'Fraid "taken aback" does not come from being crept up on.

garancafan wrote: »
    We were trying to run three questions simultaneously but seem to have reverted to one. Let me try to resurrect one stemming from post #1279 which seems to have fizzled out:-

The phrase "taken aback" is used and understood to mean "surprised, lost for words, nonplussed etc". From what does the phrase derive?

There's nothing like someone being rude to take the wind out of your sail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

"Taken aback" is an old nautical term. Imagine a square rigger - a tall ship with loads of "square" or squarish sails. Its sails only work when the wind is coming from behind(ish). If the ship turns 180 degrees or if the wind changes direction by 180 degrees, the sails hit the mast and the ship's forward motion stops and may even be pushed "aback" or backwards. "Arrr, me 'earties, me oul ship was taken aback by that there wind change, arrr."

BrensBenz wrote: »
    "Taken aback" is an old nautical term. Imagine a square rigger - a tall ship with loads of "square" or squarish sails. Its sails only work when the wind is coming from behind(ish). If the ship turns 180 degrees or if the wind changes direction by 180 degrees, the sails hit the mast and the ship's forward motion stops and may even be pushed "aback" or backwards. "Arrr, me 'earties, me oul ship was taken aback by that there wind change, arrr."

Nailed it BrensBenz. Splice the mainbrace.
    Over to you.

Sudance wrote: »
    There's nothing like someone being rude to take the wind out of your sail.

A most excellent answer

Nailed it BrensBenz. Splice the mainbrace.
    Over to you.

Oooops, I forgot that answering a question required a new question!

OK, an easily Googleable question but I bet you won't remember what Eileen Collins achieved in 1995!

OK, an easily Googleable question but I bet you won't remember what Eileen Collins achieved in 1995!

Oh how quickly we forget! Eileen Collins, whose parents originally hailed from County Cork, was the first female commander of the Space Shuttle Discovery.
    During her flight in 1995, she piloted the shuttle through a full rotation so that the crew of the International Space Station could photograph the Shuttle's underside to check for possible damage. This was the first time that the Shuttle was put through this maneouvre. Good girl yourself!

Oh how quickly we forget! Eileen Collins, whose parents originally hailed from County Cork, was the first female commander of the Space Shuttle Discovery.
    During her flight in 1995, she piloted the shuttle through a full rotation so that the crew of the International Space Station could photograph the Shuttle's underside to check for possible damage. This was the first time that the Shuttle was put through this maneouvre. Good girl yourself!
    Thanks BB - good question. Mrs gf and I had some fun with it. Interestingly we were both focused on matters related to military and aviation. Clearly there were some vestigial memory cells still gasping. Looking forward to your next one.

... some vestigial memory cells still gasping. Looking forward to your next one.

Vestigial memory cells??? I may have pills for that!
    And whoooops, I forgot about the next question.

Well, can you remember the names of the three banks which, in 1966, went to form Allied Irish Bank?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement