Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

ken wrote: »
    I know it premièred in Dublin in the 1740's. The soloist is beyond me. I'll guess Sarah Brightman cause she's the only opera singer I know.

Not Sarah. A different league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

garancafan wrote: »
    (of whom I am an ardent fan)?
    garanc?

:D

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    garanc?

:D

Very close. Just need another letter and her first name. You're allowed to Go Ogle for this one.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Can't answer the soloist question, but the first performance was in Fishamble Street all right, there is a plaque on the wall there, somewhere beside what used to be Kennan's steel works.

The mezzo's identity can be ascertained from within the question. Fish around a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Must be Elina Garanca so.

Must be Elina Garanca so.

Well done. It is indeed the beautiful Lady from Latvia herself. The names of the principals are, of course, revealed by pressing "more" beneath the Youtube video.

Just a note on Elina's surname, which in her native tongue, is written Garanča. The diacritic over the 'c' has the effect of changing the apparent hard 'c' into an approximately 'ch' sound. Thus the english phonetic pronounciation would be essentially "garancha" (with the emphasis on the second syllable.

The man with the stick is Mr. Garanča - Elina's husband Karl Mark Chichon.

Over to you Autumn Harsh Cloud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Right, here goes for a few questions to be having a go at:

What is the most southerly point of Ireland? (including islands)

duplicate

• Advertisement

What was the face value of the first definitive Irish stamp (issued in 1922).

And for extra brownie points, what colour was it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Clear Island off cork?

duplicate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

looksee wrote: »
    Right, here goes for a few questions to be having a go at:

What is the most southerly point of Ireland? (including islands)

Fastnet Rock

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Can't answer the soloist question, but the first performance was in Fishamble Street all right, there is a plaque on the wall there, somewhere beside what used to be Kennan's steel works.

I believe Handel put the finishing touches to it in St. Michan's Church, and, I suppose, first played it in its entirety there. Not a public performance, but is it a performance?

Before we all got used to A4 paper for printing what was the most common paper size called - if you worked in an office in the '60s and '70s you would be familiar with it.

I just know I am going to get into a fight with this question :)

• Advertisement

Before we all got used to A4 paper for printing what was the most common paper size called - if you worked in an office in the '60s and '70s you would be familiar with it.

I just know I am going to get into a fight with this question :)

Foolscap.

P.S. As regards the fight, what do you weigh in at?

Feargal ye have two right! Fasnet rock (yes I thought it was Clear Island till I checked :) ) and foolscap.

Nah I won't fight you, I probably weigh in heaver but I don't have much of a punch these days.

Your question(s)

duplicate - I am getting very fed up of these * duplicate posts!

Of course you did say island which arguably excludes rocks, but I'll take it.

QUESTION:
    Fastnet Rock was often the last sight of Ireland beheld by sailing Irish emigrants, and needless to say, this experience was frequently one of sorrow and sadness. What nickname did this sad experience confer on Fastnet Rock?

P.S. I've no doubt at this stage that the duplicate problem you refer to is specific to Boards, is a Boards problem and has been around for quite some time. It falls to Boards to fix it. When I post in Boards I have to exit the thread and reconnect in order to avoid duplication.

Feargal ye have two right! Fasnet rock (yes I thought it was Clear Island till I checked :) ) and foolscap.

Marine buoy M3 is a bit further South than Fastnet. (I couldn't find any Marine guirls!).

• Advertisement

Marine buoy M3 is a bit further South than Fastnet. (I couldn't find any Marine guirls!).

All you have to do now is locate the whale that Brendan the Navigator landed on, thinking it was an island - and you win the cake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Fastnet (AKA the Lonely Rock) was given the nickname of Ireland's Teardrop. I only know this because of a recent tv documentary otherwise I would never even know where the island was.

How (allegedly) did Foolscap get it's name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Fastnet (AKA the Lonely Rock) was given the nickname of Ireland's Teardrop. I only know this because of a recent tv documentary otherwise I would never even know where the island was.

Rubecula wrote: »

The original paper was watermarkedvwith a jesters hat and bells.

I have a recollection of seeing stamps in boy's collection albums that were a pale green in colour over-stamped with the words "Saorstát Éireann". They were, I think, 2d in value. Is this what you had in mind?

I gave up collecting stamps myself when my Dad told me philately would get me nowhere.

Lol, you are right while being wrong! The value was indeed 2p and the colour was green, but the overstamped ones were the remnants of the British ones that were used until the new ones were printed. My question was a bit daft as of course the value would have been the same :pac: Anyway, your question!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

It was green.
    220px-Green_Shield_stamp.jpg
    :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

What was phlogiston?

What was phlogiston?
    Ancient Greek science. Basically the element or chemical of Fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

It never was. But IIRC, it was believed to be a constituent of air that allowed things to burn, before Oxygen was discovered. Or something like that.

• Advertisement

Ancient Greek science. Basically the element or chemical of Fire.
    bonzodog2 wrote: »
    It never was. But IIRC, it was believed to be a constituent of air that allowed things to burn, before Oxygen was discovered. Or something like that.

Phlogiston was believed, by medieval alchemists, to be a component of combustible materials that was released upon combustion. When it became evident that materials gained weight when combusted it was explained by theorising that phlogiston had negative mass!

Up again Autumn Harsh Cloud.

Unlike the old song, when it comes to me there are more answers than questions.

Can't think of one.

Somebody else/new set one.

Unlike the old song, when it comes to me there are more answers than questions.

Can't think of one.

Somebody else/new set one.

Ah come on Srameen, you can't cop out like that! :D The reward for answering a question is the stress of asking one!

Ah come on Srameen, you can't cop out like that! :D The reward for answering a question is the stress of asking one!

Ok, just for that.....

What bird's scientific name is Puffinus puffinus?

Good question. Don't know. (well I do now cos I looked it up, but I didn't know)

Ok, just for that.....

Would it be the puffin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

feargale wrote: »
    Would it be the puffin?

Oh I just bet it's not! Refusing to look it up, and on tenterhooks waiting to find out. :)

Ok, just for that.....

The parrot.

Puffinus refers to a facial condition characterised by a swelling around the eye. This was formerly believed to be cured by amputating a leg and replacing it with a wooden prosthetic in addition to wearing a black eye-patch and placing a parrot upon the shoulder (Silver L J; BJPir).

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »
    Would it be the puffin?
    No
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Oh I just bet it's not! Refusing to look it up, and on tenterhooks waiting to find out. :)

You're right! It's not.
    The parrot.

Puffinus refers to a facial condition characterised by a swelling around the eye. This was formerly believed to be cured by amputating a leg and replacing it with a wooden prosthetic in addition to wearing a black eye-patch and placing a parrot upon the shoulder (Silver L J; BJPir).
    If you're just going to take the Michael I'm not bothering any more.

No-one is 'taking the Michael' Srameen, no more than is the normal level of light-hearted contribution to this thread anyway.

Ok, to move on, the answer is Manx Sheerwater, I will ask another question in a new post.

Mod: note to all contributors: if you choose to answer questions, please be willing to ask them too.

No-one is 'taking the Michael' Srameen, no more than is the normal level of light-hearted contribution to this thread anyway.

Ok, to move on, the answer is Manx Sheerwater, I will ask another question in a new post.

Mod: note to all contributors: if you choose to answer questions, please be willing to ask them too.

Oh I know. It was meant to be banter back. I'm far from touchy in my old age.

Manx Shearwater it was. Once learned it's never forgotten.

Sorry if I took you up wrongly Srameen, it is difficult to put across humour in writing :)

Next question: the leaves of Camellia Sinensis are familiar to us as - what?

Tea?

• Advertisement

Beat me to it. A wild guess was going to be tea.

Maybe we're both wrong though.

Beat me to it. A wild guess was going to be tea.

Maybe we're both wrong though.

You are right! It is the plant that produces the everyday cuppa. Garancafan got in first, your question!

What became of Heligoland and Finisterre?

Well they are both still islands but I know Heligoland was dropped or renamed on the Shipping area forecasts. Perhaps the same happened Finisterre but I never heard of a shipping area of that name - indeed I know of none in that area at all.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement