Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭samsid

There was a Gerry Anderson based question earlier, heres another, the Thunderbirds pilots were all named after astronauts from
    'The Mercury Project' the pilots of Thunderbird 1 & Thunderbird 2 Scott Tracy & Virgil Tracy were designed to resemble 2 popular actors of the time , which 2 actors were they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sean Connery and Robert Reed were supposed to be the models but I never saw could see any similarities myself.

samsid wrote: »
    Connery is correct but not Reed, the puppet actually does resemble the actor , the Virgil puppet is meant to resemble Connery, not a good likeness

FAB1 always said Scott was Connery. But yes Reed was Alan. I'll have to think about Virgil.

FAB1 always said Scott was Connery. But yes Reed was Alan. I'll have to think about Virgil.

yes as does wiki pedia... but Anderson himself mentioned Virgil as connery
    and the other as scott, the idea being an Amerian actor and British being models for each lead character, a few clues, in later life he played a laid back tv detective, whose 'cookie jar' didn't hold cookies...earlier lifehe was a card sharp on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

garancafan wrote: »
    Ahhh DKW. I loved them. Usually seen through clouds of blue smoke. Remember the 3=6?

Supplementary question: What did the 3=6 purport to convey?
    The 3=6 designation was intended to convey that the 3 cylinder 2-stroke engine in the DKW had a power output equivalent to a 6 cylinder 4-stroke engine of the same size. Since 1 litre 6 cylinder 4-stroke engines did not exist in the market this hypothesis could not really be tested in practice.

Interestingly, the interlocked 4-ring symbol now closely associated with Audi, first appeared on the DKW. I don't know the origin of the symbol. Was DKW a conglomerate of 4 earlier manufacturers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Interestingly, the interlocked 4-ring symbol now closely associated with Audi, first appeared on the DKW. I don't know the origin of the symbol. Was DKW a conglomerate of 4 earlier manufacturers?

Audi Symbol -

"The four rings depicted on the Audi symbol are remindful of the four oldest car makers in Germany that immersed together to found the company in 1932. Previously these motor vehicle manufacturers were independent. Their names are: Audi, DKW, Wanderer and Horch. These companies became the foundation pillars on which the modern AUDI AG is founded. The logo was lately changed in 2009, to celebrate Audi’s 100th birthday."

In interest of keeping your thread going I'll answer my question, the 2 actors whose likeness Thunderbirds pilots Scott and Virgil were modelled were James Garner and SeanConnery as Srameen got one correct, that's near enough, your turn now

In interest of keeping your thread going I'll answer my question, the 2 actors whose likeness Thunderbirds pilots Scott and Virgil were modelled were James Garner and SeanConnery as Srameen got one correct, that's near enough, your turn now

Troy in Stingray was modelled on James Garner.

I'll think of a question and post tomorrow.

Troy in Stingray was modelled on James Garner.

I'll think of a question and post tomorrow.

it was common for a character to be modelled on different 'looks' of a popular movue star, and used in other shows take for example, Sean Connery, other than thinderbirds, his likeness was also used for a second character in 'Thunderbirds are Go' movie 'Paul Travers ' &
    ' 'Captain Grey' in Captain Scarlet ,source of this info was an original puppet feature sculptor on Andersons series,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

This always a great place for useless information!! Keep it up youse guys!! :D

• Advertisement

In 1830s England what were The Express, The Telegraph, The Times and The Independent?

1830's England? Why that particular date, now? Newspapers is too obvious an answer surely? Why do I keep asking so many questions? :confused:

Were they all the same thing?

Were they all the same thing?

Yes, indeed.

Sooooo..... NOT Newspapers then? Whad about trains, or boats?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Sooooo..... NOT Newspapers then? Whad about trains, or boats?

No. But keep that line of thought.

Hmmmmmm.

PLANES?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Hmmmmmm.

PLANES?

1830s???

Come on Jelly....get the grey matter flowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Wire feeds?

Steve wrote: »
    Wire feeds?

I don't even know what you mean by wire feeds. So, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Something to do with canals???

red sean wrote: »
    Something to do with canals???

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

I don't even know what you mean by wire feeds. So, no.

As in Morse code sent by telegraph from town to town.. obviously not the answer :)

1830s???

Come on Jelly....get the grey matter flowing.

Oh yeah, sorry. My brain is tired thunking. What about horses then? Or barges? Or pigeons?

I think they were all stagecoaches of the time,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

trains?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

books?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Fonts?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

I think they were all stagecoaches of the time,

That they were indeed.

• Advertisement

New Question, what have Stephen Stills, Glen Campbell, and Charles Manson got in common ?

Five days later, and no-one seems to know. :confused:

It could be to do with the Monkeys group, only the story about Manson auditioning is a myth, as he was in prison at the time. Other than that I haven't a clue.

Wild guessing time then, were they all married to the same woman, at different times of course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ok, in the interests of moving on, I have checked it up and Srameen has it, they all failed auditions for the Monkees (Srameen is probably right about Charles Manson but I have no idea!)

Take it away Srameen.

I will throw one up as well just to keep things moving.

What is a Stapes (other than a very obscure computer program!)

• Advertisement

Oh Lord! I feel I should know this but.... no...nothing.

Thinking cap is somewhere in the shed. Must dig it out.

What is the newest country recognised by, and a member of, the United Nations?

looksee wrote: »
    Ok, in the interests of moving on, I have checked it up and Srameen has it, they all failed auditions for the Monkees (Srameen is probably right about Charles Manson but I have no idea!)

Take it away Srameen.

I will throw one up as well just to keep things moving.

the connection is the monkees, which would have sufficed .not for the reason given however. failed audition, if a reason is required here it is....

Glen Camobell was a session musician for the group , both Stills & manson had attempted to sell songs to their management, the rumour that manson auditioned was inadvertantly started by Mickey Dolenz in an interview, claiming everyone auditioned even Charles Manson..... at 29 & 30 respectively both Campbell & Manson way exceeded the age limit required
    17 to 22 I think re stapes as i have a disorder of the inner ear, it's a bone located inyour inner ear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

What is the newest country recognised by, and a member of, the United Nations?

South Sudan.

There ye go Samsid, you are right about Stapes, it is the smallest bone in the human body, also called the stirrup - because that is what it looks like - and it is in the ear.

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »
    South Sudan.

They were admitted in 2011. Correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

looksee wrote: »
    There ye go Samsid, you are right about Stapes, it is the smallest bone in the human body, also called the stirrup - because that is what it looks like - and it is in the ear.
    They were admitted in 2011. Correct.

It seems there are two (or three? ) questions running simultaneously. In the interests of amalgamating the WBA and WBC and seeing an undisputed champion emerge I will concede right of way to Samsid, ( unless the intention is to have a number of questions running simultaneously, which could prove unwieldy. )

We agreed a while back to run with 3 simultaneously unless it became unwieldy. Personally I find it enjoyable, and I don't think it has become at all unwieldy, so fire away.

Running two or three at a time does not always work, but mostly it does, and we are not overly fussed about the odd one that goes missing. Well, the person who posted it probably gets miffed but on the whole....:D

Feel free to shout Oi! you missed my question! if one gets overlooked.

(Light-bulb moment) Ahhhhh! MONKEES! Not monkeys! I didn't know where that was coming from. Anyway, I don't know the answer to ANY of the above questions and I wait with fingers drumming until one comes up that I actually know. As you were.

Thanks Feargale, on a musical theme again. Ringo Starr famously replaced Pete Best as The Beatles Drummer, during his time as Beatles drummer Ringo himself was replaced temporarily twice, once by Jimmy Nicol, who deputised for Ringo at the start of Australian tour, as Ringo had Tonsilitis, who was the other stand in drummer? clue if you
    watched the George Martin doc on BBC4 McCartney and Martin, discussed him, another clue, it was for studio purposes not for live performances

in interests of moving things on her's the answer Andy White. When E.M.I offered The Beatles a contract Pete Best was the drummer.
    Best was dismissed in the interim, what followed, rumours that The Beatles themselves wanted rid of Best for Ringo, or that Martin wasn't happy with him as a drummer. Either way Martin employed White's services for Beatles 1st studio session, even when Ringo arrived as bests replacement , George Martin insisted on using white for the sessions. Anyone who wishes can ask next question, it's a bit pointless me asking questions ,giving an answer then asking another

What became of "the Harmonichords"?

What became of "the Harmonichords"?

They morphed into the Bachelors.

"My Diane.....". aha memories!

As naff names go, the harmonichords has to be well up there!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement