Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

feargale wrote: »
    The Austrian part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire had Venice and adjacent parts of Northern Italy until Italan Unification and what approximately corresponds to Slovenia, plus Trieste until the end of World War I.

Yes, I get your point. But that was not Austria, or The Republic of Austria, as it exists today.

Just me being pedantic.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

What coastline had Austria as the country of Austria as opposed to earlier incarnations?

I know that inter-war Czechslovakia, thanks to one of the post WWI treaties (Versailles?) enjoyed sovereignty over a few acres of Hamburg's docklands to which it was connected by the River Elbe. Maybe Austria had something similar. If so I don't know about it. Something where the Danube enters the Black Sea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Might as well stick with the theme...

What do these 4 countries have in common? (Besides the -ia thing)

Serbia
    Tanzania
    Zambia
    Austria

They had, at one time, all been part of bigger federations or national entities.

They had, at one time, all been part of bigger federations or national entities.

Not what I was looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Have they all used the Shilling in currency?

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Might as well stick with the theme...

What do these 4 countries have in common? (Besides the -ia thing)

Serbia
    Tanzania
    Zambia
    Austria

Each of them entered a major world sports tournament under one name and/or political status and came home from it with a different name/status.

Austria qualified for FIFA World Cup finals 1938, was annexed by Germany between the qualifiers and the finals and was part of the Greater Gemany in the finals in which some of the Austrians played for Germany.

Zambia changed its name and flag between the opening and closing ceremonies of the 1964 Olympic Games. The country entered as Northern Rhodesia, and left as Zambia, a newly independent republic.

Tanzania was formed in 1964 as "the United Republic of Tanganyika and Zanzibar", a union of those two countries, but despite that competed in the Olympics later that year under the name "Tanganyika". By the time the team returned home the country had been renamed Tanzania.

Serbia and Montenegro declared independence of each other in May 2006 but, having already qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup finals went ahead and played in the finals as a united team.

What coastline had Austria as the country of Austria as opposed to earlier incarnations?

You never gave the answer to this. A number of landlocked countries have enjoyed port facilities for their merchant navies e.g. the Swiss navy at Genoa. Did Austria have something similar, at Trieste perhaps?

Liechtenstein - It was never ruled by France and uses the Swiss Franc.
    The others were part of the French Empire/Union and their franc ( Rwandan for Rwanda, Central African Franc for the others ) is based on the French franc.

Correction: Rwanda was never ruled by France. After WWI it passed from German East Africa to Belgium as a League of Nations mandate territory. It got the franc and the French language from Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Each of them entered a major world sports tournament under one name and/or political status and came home from it with a different name/status.

Austria qualified for FIFA World Cup finals 1938, was annexed by Germany between the qualifiers and the finals and was part of the Greater Gemany in the finals in which some of the Austrians played for Germany.

Zambia changed its name and flag between the opening and closing ceremonies of the 1964 Olympic Games. The country entered as Northern Rhodesia, and left as Zambia, a newly independent republic.

Tanzania was formed in 1964 as "the United Republic of Tanganyika and Zanzibar", a union of those two countries, but despite that competed in the Olympics later that year under the name "Tanganyika". By the time the team returned home the country had been renamed Tanzania.

Serbia and Montenegro declared independence of each other in May 2006 but, having already qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup finals went ahead and played in the finals as a united team.
    Wow. I'm impressed!

• Advertisement

You never gave the answer to this. A number of landlocked countries have enjoyed port facilities for their merchant navies e.g. the Swiss navy at Genoa. Did Austria have something similar, at Trieste perhaps?

Sorry, no, I was looking for clarification in response to the previous answer, as I was unaware of them ever having a coastline as the Republic of Austria which they are now.

It wasn't another quiz question.

Apologies for the confusion.

Sorry for the delay. I WISH this was what I was looking for but unfortunately what I had in mind is much simpler.
    HINT: Look at a map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah yes, the map clue gave it away. I lived in Zambia and I knew it was surrounded by 8 countries. And it was a reasonable guess that there were eight around Tanzania -I knew there were a good few - so I checked, and yes - its a fair bet that the other two have eight countries round them too.

I like feargale's answer though and I defer to his expertise!

looksee wrote: »
    Ah yes, the map clue gave it away. I lived in Zambia and I knew it was surrounded by 8 countries. And it was a reasonable guess that there were eight around Tanzania -I knew there were a good few - so I checked, and yes - its a fair bet that the other two have eight countries round them too.

I like feargale's answer though and I defer to his expertise!

Correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Good morning.

If the airport which your flight arrives in, has the three letter code HAH, what city/country would you be in?

Any takers?

I checked that, wouldn't say there is a chance anyone will get it - I lived in the general area and had never heard of it.

I'd been there and couldn't remember the name of the island. I'd say put people out of their misery.

Moroni, Comoros Island.

Never been.

How about you post another question eisenberg, and feargale, and I will post later, dashing out now. Are there any more questions hanging?

• Advertisement

Oops, nothing prepared.

Quickie, what's the connection between Godfather three and Raging Bull?

DeNiro is in both but, as he's in GF 1, 2 and 4 as well, it's hardly that.

Edit; Have it! It's that piece of music. Classical or Opera - the name is beyond me though.

It's specific to GF3 and Raging Bull.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    It's specific to GF3 and Raging Bull.

Yes, see my edit above. I'm not sure it's enough but I'm certain it's the right area.

On the ball Srameen. The Cavelleria Rusticana (intermezzo). Mascagni's opera is the one in GF3 and the same music is used in the famous slow motion fight scene in Raging Bull.

Likewise nothing prepared.

A quickie, as I just read it this morning.

Where did the word "cowboy" originate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

At a guess, 'boy' originally meant 'servant' or 'hired help' in a junior sense. Cowboy would have originated as a junior position employed to tend cattle?

Steve wrote: »
    At a guess, 'boy' originally meant 'servant' or 'hired help' in a junior sense. Cowboy would have originated as a junior position employed to tend cattle?

:D
    I meant geographically. Where, not how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ah, ok :o

Mexico?

The Victorians enthusiastically used the new dyes that were being developed, in clothing, wall papers and paint. One colour was particularly ill-advised, what was it, and why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Argentina?

If by where you mean what country I would guess Ireland. Caill in the Irish language = ( I think ) a cow herd. Cailin = girl. Cailleach = old hag. Bo = cow. Buachaill = ( originally ) a boy cowherd, ultimately a boy, but literally a cow boy.

P.S. Certainly I've come across a few cowboys in Ireland.

The Victorians enthusiastically used the new dyes that were being developed, in clothing, wall papers and paint. One colour was particularly ill-advised, what was it, and why?

Green. There was a suspicion about it. Bad luck or something. ( to do with Green Sleeves, maybe? I believe the mob used to sing that song at public executions. )

How about you post another question eisenberg, and feargale, and I will post later, dashing out now. Are there any more questions hanging?

Not up to me as I didn't have the right answer. I was slightly chancing my arm re Tanzania. The 1964 Olympics closed on 24th October and the name change to Tanzania took place on 29th October. If their team flew home immediately after the Olympics I was technically incorrect. However, if they took a slow boat from China, stopping off there or in Hong Kong on the way home for a bit of lychee, then I was technically correct.

P.S. Ok, if you insist: What links the following ( and no others ):
    1. Cimarron.
    2. Dances With Wolves.
    3. Unforgiven?

Green. There was a suspicion about it. Bad luck or something. ( to do with Green Sleeves, maybe? I believe the mob used to sing that song at public executions. )

You are right that it was green, however the reason was much more specific - any ideas anyone?

Mexico?

That was my initial thought too but I was also wrong.

Argentina?

No.

If by where you mean what country I would guess Ireland. Caill in the Irish language = ( I think ) a cow herd. Cailin = girl. Cailleach = old hag. Bo = cow. Buachaill = ( originally ) a boy cowherd, ultimately a boy, but literally a cow boy.

P.S. Certainly I've come across a few cowboys in Ireland.

It was Ireland in around 1000ad.

But your etymology is not correct.

Ireland it is. The home of the cowboy.

Green dyes were arsenic based.

I have seen the answer to this (cowboy q.) at some stage, but the aul brain did not pay enough attention to remember it!

• Advertisement

You have it Srameen!

Arsenic was used in the flock wallpapers (enthusiastically spreading 'flock dust' into the room), clothes and other products, giving the wearers/residents arsenic poisoning.

Besides being presidents of the US, what have John Kennedy, Gerald Ford, Ronald Regan, and George Bush (snr ) got in common?

Ireland it is. The home of the cowboy.

I've already posted a question at 2835 which seems to be overlooked.

Not up to me as I didn't have the right answer. I was slightly chancing my arm re Tanzania. The 1964 Olympics closed on 24th October and the name change to Tanzania took place on 29th October. If their team flew home immediately after the Olympics I was technically incorrect. However, if they took a slow boat from China, stopping off there or in Hong Kong on the way home for a bit of lychee, then I was technically correct.

P.S. Ok, if you insist: What links the following ( and no others ):
    1. Cimarron.
    2. Dances With Wolves.
    3. Unforgiven?

All westerns that won Best Picture Oscars?

What links the following ( and no others ):
    1. Cimarron.
    2. Dances With Wolves.
    3. Unforgiven?

Question from feargale

All westerns that won Best Picture Oscars?

Correct. The only westerns to do so. The question mark at the end of your answer suggests to me that you refrain from some quality reading at the weekend.

Besides being presidents of the US, what have John Kennedy, Gerald Ford, Ronald Regan, and George Bush (snr ) got in common?

All got honorary degrees from Yale?

P.S. I'd have given one or two of them an honorary Primary Cert!

All got honorary degrees from Yale?

P.S. I'd have given one or two of them an honorary Primary Cert!

Nope.

I'll add Abraham Lincoln to the list, if it helps.

• Advertisement

Wild guess - they all got re-elected (my American history knowledge is minimal)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement