Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chain slack query

• 19-04-2015 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭

Since the other day when I stop pedalling on the bike and am going at say over thirty kph, the chain slacks and drops down onto the chain stay and the bike emits a really loud whiny noise. The noise can't be coming from the chain itself as it's not moving so it must be from the casette or rear deraileur I think.

Has anyone else any experience of this? Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Freehub is sticking and getting slightly pushed forward when you stop pedalling causing chain sag .
    Turn wheel on its side and put in a few drops of oil and see if it gets better. Freehub may need cleaning/servicing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Sounds like a freehub issue, perhaps? Does it happen in all gears? If you pedal backwards does the cassette move freely & take up the slack? Either the freehub or the jockey wheels may need lubricating.

Edit; beaten to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Thanks fellas. I'll check that out so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

That's what happened to my wheel in the Dolomites.

Advertisement