Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on tenant numbers

Options
  • 19-04-2015 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I rent out a 2 bed apt, currently about 200 less than the market rate (market rate has gone up since the lease was signed), I have not increased it as they pay on time and don't give much hassle. The apartment is not being kept as clean as I would like, but I guess tha'ts their business mostly, although it will make it harder to get back to the original condition. One tenant would like to bring a partner in to stay also, this would make 3 people in a 2 bed. I would like to know do people experience greater wear and tear with an extra tenant, is it worth the hassle? should I charge more? if i don't agree then maybe they will move out and I will have to look again. Any advice or experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

scb66 wrote: »
    I rent out a 2 bed apt, currently about 200 less than the market rate (market rate has gone up since the lease was signed), I have not increased it as they pay on time and don't give much hassle. The apartment is not being kept as clean as I would like, but I guess tha'ts their business mostly, although it will make it harder to get back to the original condition. One tenant would like to bring a partner in to stay also, this would make 3 people in a 2 bed. I would like to know do people experience greater wear and tear with an extra tenant, is it worth the hassle? should I charge more? if i don't agree then maybe they will move out and I will have to look again. Any advice or experience?

Definitely charge more.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

I'd also get extra deposit from the 3rd person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP if its in Dublin, you shouldnt be concerned with the moving out. Its super easy to find new trouble free tenants. Tenants who pay on time always, are clean and respect the property should be the norm. But we arent a country where renting isnt the norm. So most tenants think you should be grateful the rent was only ever a free days later. Honestly if you take Americans or Continental European eg Germans(there is plenty in Dublin). They are never late with the rent or cause serious issues. Although they generally want problems fixed yesterday and are more demanding.

I dont think there will be a different on Wear and Tear with an extra person. But IMO I would expect the person not in a relationship to give you notice to leave in a few months. Couples can work in large house share, but in small numbers causes tension and generally one will move out.

Now since they are moving someone in is the time to up the rent, as they will see it as more fair, since there is an extra person in the place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

OP I certainly would not permit it without some sort of quid pro quo. Bringing the rent up to market value would not be unreasonable, particularly as there will be more wear and tear - an extra person walking around on that flooring, more opening and closing of the fridge, more use of the washing machine, shower, toilet, etc, etc.

If the tenants don't agree to a reasonable adjustment to the rent, then I suspect you'll find down the line they aren't as great as you think they are.

Also, as one poster said, I would expect the "third wheel" to leave pretty soon, and some request to have another new tenant move in. You should get value for the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 scb66

Thanks all, very good inputs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

hfallada wrote: »
    OP if its in Dublin, you shouldnt be concerned with the moving out. Its super easy to find new trouble free tenants. Tenants who pay on time always, are clean and respect the property should be the norm. But we arent a country where renting isnt the norm. So most tenants think you should be grateful the rent was only ever a free days later. Honestly if you take Americans or Continental European eg Germans(there is plenty in Dublin). They are never late with the rent or cause serious issues. Although they generally want problems fixed yesterday and are more demanding.
    Gross generalisations nor welcome.

Advertisement