Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to Texas

Options
  • 19-04-2015 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

So for a while I have been seriously considering moving to the states and Texas is the place I want to go.
    Plan is to sell up move permanent.
    I would be looking at buying a house with a lot of land ranch/farming/outdoor persuits already established so I will be able to support myself.
    So what problems could I encounter along the way as moving and seeking citizenship?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Texas? Why Texas?

Texas is as close as you can get in the US to a banana republic. Super right wing and corrupt. Bigotry and racism. The part of the state that isnt desert is flat, dull and featureless. And the only city in the state worth being near is Austin.

Also I dont know how texas is coping (tx is further east) but the South West is in the 4th year of drought right now. California is in Severe Drought and farms are failing all over the state. You dont hear so much about water issues in New Mexico and Arizona but it cant be much better.

Aside from Visa issues, for self sufficiency, small farming, ranching, etc. have you looked at Montana, Wyoming, Idaho etc?

Although I'd go for Canada. Visas are easier to get. British Columbia is stunning. No water issues. I dont know about Land prices but you're on the edge of Wilderness so prices must vary considerably.

Here's some drought info for the state of Texas.

This drought started in 2010 and its still getting worse. And there's no faster way to make land useless than cutting off the water supply. I was reading about some California farmers who still had water from deep wells but it was costing them $5000/month in energy just to pump the water up. And once those wells dry up they'll have to drill even deeper until the cash runs out.

"Large sections of the state are experiencing exceptional or extreme drought. These prolonged, dry conditions put a strain on water supplies for all uses. "

https://www.tceq.texas.gov/response/drought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

So what problems could I encounter along the way as moving and seeking citizenship?

This is the main problem, before you even get to dealing with texas law and texans (a state that is fun to visit, well Austin is...)

You can't just rock up and get residency. There are no self sponsoring visas, so short of winning the green card lottery or marrying an american and them sponsoring you - there is no visa category for "rancher".

The only other way in is by being sponsored by an american company who need you to do a job that no american can do. Just because you can support yourself (i.e. not a drain on US "social system" doesn't mean you can live there.

Just to give you an idea what I have been going through the last 4 years

- applied for job
    - accepted, then they started labor certification
    - six months later they accept that I have a specialized skill - i move.
    - wife arrives with me then goes back as she can't work for 3 months and needs to study for state of california medical license exams
    - wife comes and starts her medical residency setting her back 2 years
    - start green card applications
    - one year later green card application is cleared, now waiting for said cards

In 5 years we'll be able to apply for citizenship and all that that entails (i.e. no matter where you are in the world, you need to file taxes with uncle sam etc)

While there is a romantic notion of living here, it is tough to get in here with just a romantic notion. I hate being this abrupt, but it's the truth. Perhaps you should look at the plains of Canada or BC Friendlier people, socialized healthcare and easier to get into

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have you ever been OP ??

I did a few stints working in Dallas. Jesus I hated the place.

I wouldn't have huge experience of other places but there would have to be somewhere better than Texas - if not the states is a terrible place !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Texas? Why Texas?

Texas is as close as you can get in the US to a banana republic. Super right wing and corrupt. Bigotry and racism. The part of the state that isnt desert is flat, dull and featureless. And the only city in the state worth being near is Austin.

Also I dont know how texas is coping (tx is further east) but the South West is in the 4th year of drought right now. California is in Severe Drought and farms are failing all over the state. You dont hear so much about water issues in New Mexico and Arizona but it cant be much better.

Aside from Visa issues, for self sufficiency, small farming, ranching, etc. have you looked at Montana, Wyoming, Idaho etc?

Although I'd go for Canada. Visas are easier to get. British Columbia is stunning. No water issues. I dont know about Land prices but you're on the edge of Wilderness so prices must vary considerably.

I've been living in Arizona for 3.5 years. There's no water issues. I don't believe there's any in New Mexico either. That's just in California because the high population and the limited source they take from. Arizona has more than enough water. There has not been any rationing since I've been here. Now, the water isn't great but that's because it's the desert. We have 'hard water' but if you filter it, it's fine. It's also fine for brushing your teeth and showering etc.

Visas are pretty easy in the US if you're bringing the right skill set. I like the outskirts of Vancouver but the city itself is meh. Also, my trip up there was the first time I had seen a boy racer in 4.5 years! Even before I left Ireland they were nowhere to be seen, I guess they all moved to Canada. Poor Canadians! They are lovely people, though. Unfortunately, Vancouver is over-run with homeless people, I guess due to the fact, although it's cold and wet, it's the most mild of the Canadian cities.

If you're looking at Vancouver, I'd suggest Seattle. I much prefer it but I'm sure it's subjective. Mount Rainier is crazy cool in Washington, ditto the Olympic Park. The markets in the city are pretty unique. The pier is beautiful too. People get fed up with the rain, though. Just like in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I've spent quite a bit of time in the States over the years business and pleasure, while I love visiting the place I would hate to live there. It's like fifty different countries under the one flag, each state is different and from what I've seen there's a huge dislike between many of them. The food is great for two weeks then it's horrible, the people are mostly nice but that fake 'in your face' tip driven service you get everywhere becomes grating after a while. Some of the laws and rules are bizarre and vary from state to state and county to county and Texas is probably the most bizarre of them all. If you've loads of money you can
    live quite well there but if you'd loads of money you wouldn't want to live there, there's a huge disparity between the rich and poor and some of the services that we take for granted (health care, banking, insurance, taxation, etc) are fifty years behind ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kilo6

Really Billy fifty years thats a stretch. I find texas to be a grand place and very nice easy going people outside of the cities of course. For farming id look to the east of the state. East of Dallas anyway better land and more fertile. Austin left keaning college city. Lots of traffic and poor quality farmland. If its farmland you are looking for try the midwest though. Ky Oh In Ill Wi Mo. All great farming states and there are many more. One of my favourites is southwest of Lexington Ky its just beautiful there. Id suggest you travel to the states and take time to explore where you would like to live. America is pretty restricted visa wise but it is possible . I moved there 20 years ago and has been an absolutely wonderful experience for both myself and my family. You get oppurtunities you could only dream of in Ireland.
    As regard services you will be amazed to be able to get most services hooked up in a couple of days. You can get a driving licence in about thirty minutes depending on the que as they accecpt an Irish licence unlike the mumpties here in Ireland
    Healthcare no problem just have good insurance. Remember there is a reason Irish gov politions are tripping over themselves trying to get Americans to invest here . I wish you well and hope it works out for you. Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Getting a visa is definitely going to be the most difficult bit (and the visa will lead to a greeencard, and 5 years after the greencard you can get citizenship), though if you have enough money to buy a decent sized farm it may be possible, as you would be providing income for many US citizens who will be employed on the farm.

One thing I would counsel is the politics. Irish people often laugh about the Evangelical religion and the conservative nature of US politics. Well, you ain't seen nothing yet; it's very pervasive. I live in the South too, in Arkansas- in Ireland, I was by far the most conservative of my friends; here, I am considered a total hippy. There is prayer before every highschool football game, and people will ask you where you go to church (and judge you by it, or badger you to go to theirs if you say you don;t have one yet). You get used to it, and there are aspects of this (community feel, looking out for the kids) that are great, but it IS a culture shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

silja, in fairness you are in one of the epicenters of evangelical conservatism.

For instance, as a resident of Atlanta, GA, I'd have a very different perspective.

Mind you most of Arkansas might not be too different to most of Texas.

dave2pvd wrote: »
    silja, in fairness you are in one of the epicenters of evangelical conservatism.

For instance, as a resident of Atlanta, GA, I'd have a very different perspective.

Mind you most of Arkansas might not be too different to most of Texas.

I dunno, my wife works with someone from Texas. When she first moved to California from San Antonio, she was surprised that their shift in the hospital didn't start with a prayer in stead of my wife's tradition of coffee followed by another coffee.

• Advertisement

I've spent quite a bit of time in the States over the years business and pleasure, while I love visiting the place I would hate to live there. It's like fifty different countries under the one flag, each state is different and from what I've seen there's a huge dislike between many of them. The food is great for two weeks then it's horrible, the people are mostly nice but that fake 'in your face' tip driven service you get everywhere becomes grating after a while. Some of the laws and rules are bizarre and vary from state to state and county to county and Texas is probably the most bizarre of them all. If you've loads of money you can
    live quite well there but if you'd loads of money you wouldn't want to live there, there's a huge disparity between the rich and poor and some of the services that we take for granted (health care, banking, insurance, taxation, etc) are fifty years behind ours.

Health care in the US is not fifty years behind Irelands. A guy at the VA here died whilst on a waiting list for treatment, that happened over a year ago and it's still big news. Their healthcare system is driven by profit.

Not sure how their insurance is backwards too. I'm paying less here for health insurance than I did with Aviva back home and I get better coverage e.g. Dental, Vision and Health. If I go to a GP here, I only pay $20, the last time I got anti-biotics they cost me $12

Taxation?? The US tax system is far, far, far ahead of Irelands. The only things I take qualms with it, is how the federal tax is being used. Funding wars, serving Corporate interests and the fact, disadvantaged areas don't get more funding than the affluent areas.

Also, the one thing that I really take exception with in your post is the 'fake in your face' service. If you've lived here for any amount of time, you'll realize it's not fake. When I walk my dog, people are saying hello, making small talk etc. If you're waiting in line at the airport or anywhere, you'll get into a conversation with somebody. The over the top service isn't for a tip, you get the same level of service when you go into a shop.

They just have a high standard of service. When I worked in retail in Ireland, I was always nice to customers. I hated my job but I wouldn't say I was being fake. Also, if it really is being fake than at least they are doing a good job at it! They are actually trying. The quality of service in the US is the best in the world.

I have a lot of problems with the US but not that.

I dunno, my wife works with someone from Texas. When she first moved to California from San Antonio, she was surprised that their shift in the hospital didn't start with a prayer in stead of my wife's tradition of coffee followed by another coffee.

What kind of Hospital did she move from? I'm working for a Hospital...it's interesting to say the least...there's a lot of Hospitals which are affiliated with religious organizations

Wompa1 wrote: »
    What kind of Hospital did she move from? I'm working for a Hospital...it's interesting to say the least...there's a lot of Hospitals which are affiliated with religious organizations

She worked in the university health system as a nurse as UT in San Antonio - i asked the same question - if it was a presbyterian or baptist hospital...nope.

Moved to the university teaching hospital here in SF

She worked in the university health system as a nurse as UT in San Antonio - i asked the same question - if it was a presbyterian or baptist hospital...nope.

Moved to the university teaching hospital here in SF

Wow, that's extra f*cked up. Universities are under the seperation or curch and state.

I'm working for a Catholic Hospital...it was rough at first, little by little every day, I'm seeing the cracks in their personalities that make them seem more human. One of my work colleagues was a Mormon missionary, there's also a transgendered person here, so I'm guessing they at least don't discriminate based on others religions.

I was worried that I may have been hired due to being Irish Catholic...I happened to do a phone interview the day of my Grandfathers wake and mentioned that to them on the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I happened to do a phone interview the day of my Grandfathers wake and mentioned that to them on the call.
    That also works well on X Factor....

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I was worried that I may have been hired due to being Irish Catholic...

Hey use what you can.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

So for a while I have been seriously considering moving to the states and Texas is the place I want to go.
    Plan is to sell up move permanent.
    I would be looking at buying a house with a lot of land ranch/farming/outdoor persuits already established so I will be able to support myself.

As stated above this is going to be your biggest problem by far, there are no self sponsoring visa's that permit permanent residence in the US. As mentioned by Silja there are Visa for investors who meet certain financial requirements and create jobs etc, however I am not sure if Ranching or farming would fall under this.

Essentially moving to the US isn't easy, infact it is very difficult even if someone sponsors you. I don't know what stage of life you are at but at retirement some people choose to take up a sort of semi residence in the US by buying a property there and traveling on a Visa Waiver for up to 3 months twice a year. Its a workable solution but they have now security in that they could be denied entry at any stage.

i hope you get something worked out, best of luck.

Advertisement