Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated robots.txt file

Options
  • 19-04-2015 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Unsure whether to mark this as a bug/feature suggestion really!

I'm just curious if boards.ie purposely updated their robots.txt file?

I find it more difficult finding the boards.ie result I'm looking for through google with this change.

If it is not a bug, can I suggest you revert the change?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Boards.ie: Chris

Hi Cathalog,

We haven't made any changes to the robots file on about a year, and that was a very minor one at that. Can I ask what sort of searches are throwing up problems for you, and I'll see if we find the issue.

Thanks,

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Hi Chris. Just played around with it a bit there.

The issue seems to only occur on my iPhone 5S (latest OS). If I do a google search on this phone, any Boards result shows "A description of this result is not available because of this site's robots.txt".
    Doesn't seem to occur on my laptop / desktop.

Do a search for "boards three 4g" on a phone to see if you can reproduce it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Boards.ie: Chris

Hey Cathalog,

Thanks for flagging this. We had a look at it towards the end of last week and found that a configuration decision had been made many years ago that was correct at the time but not for now. We've since put changes in place that will improve our mobile searches and should give more informative results. Hopefully this gives your more useful search results going forward.

Thanks again for bringing it to our attention.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Hi Chris,

No problem! Thanks for sorting it out :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement