Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cut back a walnut tree

• 19-04-2015 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all, first post in this forum, hoping for a little advice...(we are in Germany, but trees are trees)

We are in the process of applying for planning permission for a new build on a 1000m² rectangular site. A lovely walnut tree that was planted in 1980 unfortunately sits very central on the site and we would certainly get permission to fell it as it poses a significant hindrance to our planned build (we are building using prefabricated elements, so a heavy crane needs good access and the tree is an issue).

I am hoping to retain the tree though, so I would like to prune it back (it has never been pruned-the guy who planted it back in 1980 told me so) to reduce the crown for the build itself and well because the tree is starting to get too dominant. We had to fell another walnut on the access to our site already, though it was diseased and the council said it could be felled just because of that alone and it was well over 25m tall. We do not want our walnut ever getting that big, so pruning has to come into play and I'd rather prune now before the build starts so it has a chance of not getting hit by the crane (much).

We are allowed to cut the branches back to 10cm diameter without requiring formal permission. Anything beyond that is equivalent to felling it. As I say, we will get permission to fell completely and we will seek that permission (2 other trees have to go as they are standing where the house will be built), just in case it is totally unavoidable that the tree needs to go, but I'd really like to give it a fighting chance. It has real character about it. As I will be able to fell completely, cutting beyong the 10cm (eg removing complete limbs) would be allowed.

Any ideas where to begin? I could post some pictures of it, if it would help?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭blackbox

From Hillier book of tree Planting & Management:
    "Walnuts can bleed profusely from pruning wounds, occasionally seriously weakening the tree, and all branch removals should be carried out during the summer period". - i.e. when in full leaf.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah, i hadn't spotted you were in germany. where in germany?

one thing to try would be to see if there is a local woodturner's guild; it's not unknown for woodturners to be or know tree surgeons, so depending on what needs to be taken off, they may do the work in part or full exchange for the wood.

Advertisement