Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro to Dollar - where to exchange

Options
  • 19-04-2015 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello,

First of all, I am not sure if this is the right place to post my question.

I am going to New York in two weeks and I was wondering where I can exchange euro to dollars, I have asked in my BOI branch but they told me I should go in the middle of the week and ask what the exchange rate is, but what I wanted to know is the fees the bank will apply on top of that, they said its about couple of euros.. but I am going to Spain in a week maybe its better to get the money in my bank in there..

Or perhaps there is any place where no fees are applied..

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

You are best off not exchanging money and using your ATM card or credit card in the states. The rate is much better than you will get in a bank branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jreyeshdez

Are you sure?

In my branch they told me it is better of bringing cash from here to the states, do not use the card in the states, they said the fees will be higher.. so not sure what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Exchange rate at the machines out there is usually better but Something like 95% of US ATM machines charge a cash withdrawal fee to non customers - average fee is $2-$3. So if you have to use an ATM there, take out enough to do a few days. Although, I think some parts of California have banned ATM withdrawal fees.

Credit unions and post office here don't charge to change currency before you go but their rates can compare badly with Banks.

Your best option is if you have an account with a global Bank , e.g HSBC, usually you can use their ATM machines worldwide for free.

My bank is bank of ireland so.. I went yesterday to my branch and I asked. They told me on saturdays the systems is unable so I have to go on monday or tuesday.

The guy told me, in his opinion, get money in cash and if I need to withdraw money in US, better take as much as I can.. so the fee would be applied once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

jreyeshdez wrote: »
    My bank is bank of ireland so.. I went yesterday to my branch and I asked. They told me on saturdays the systems is unable so I have to go on monday or tuesday.

The guy told me, in his opinion, get money in cash and if I need to withdraw money in US, better take as much as I can.. so the fee would be applied once.

Most credit cards have no charge for ATM withdrawls once you're in credit.
    I used my debit card for withdrawls on my last visit and it turned out quite expensive.
    I will preload my credit card for my next trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Credit and debit cards have handling fees when used outside the Euro zone. I know that my BOI credit card had a 2.25% cross border handling fee, even if you managed to avoid the cash advance of 1.5%. My PTSB debit card had a 3.5% ATM fee.

An Post is another option and they don't charge a commission. It all comes down to the rate that they offer.

Thanks.

I think I will bring enough cash with me and do not use the card so much just in case.

Where is the best place to exchange the money? before getting in there, for example in Bank Of Ireland or once I arrive at the airport in US.

Advertisement