Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is good for walking in louth?

Options
  • 19-04-2015 3:16pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi all,

Living in drogheda and looking for suggestions for a decent long walk preferably out of town. Are there any local parks or trails anywhere nearby that people would suggest?

Many thanks 😄

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

Is'nt there a walkway along the Boyne now, have''nt been on it yet but I pass by it and see people running and walking there, I think there are walks around the Battle of the Boyne site. Not from the area but pass through it a lot and always see people out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Oldbridge walks

http://www.battleoftheboyne.ie/Walkways/

If you are on facebook have a look at this page

https://www.facebook.com/BoyneValleyWalking

All the beaches are lovely for a walk, you can walk from Clogherhead to Baltray or Mornington to Laytown or any part of these walks. Also it is nice to walk over the head at Clogher.

Townley hall is also nice for a woodland walk.

You can walk along the river to Oldbridge from St Domnics Park(playground) this leads to the new boyne walkway, unfortunately there has been a mud slide on part of the ramparts, I think it is still passable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭positron

Mr. Muddle wrote: »
    You can walk along the river to Oldbridge from St Domnics Park(playground) this leads to the new boyne walkway, unfortunately there has been a mud slide on part of the ramparts, I think it is still passable though.

This appeared closed off from the playground end.

Another walk I used to frequent is from the Battle of Boyne site towards Navan along the river. Apparently you can walk many miles towards Navan that way however it turns rather overgrown and muddy and very difficult to negotiate after a mile or two.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

All brilliant suggestions lads cheers! ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

If you look for the long womans grave, theres a path way up the mountain. Lovely views and fresh air

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

If you land up to the Lumpers bar in Ravensdale, take a walk up to the barrier, up the fire trail and go for a ramble. Generally speaking, if you stay on the beaten track, you can't go far wrong and if you do lose your way, you can follow the Tain trail.

Advertisement